Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 09:48 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimplyAnynomous View Post
Hi, not sure if this is the best section to post this but it seemed like a good place.

I am 24 and DESPERATELY want to get my tubes tied. Many may say that I'm young and will change my mind but I promise you, I would NOT be a good mother by ANY means! For one I have ZERO empathy. As in while I may not go out and hurt someone at the same time I never feel any real emotion when people get hurt or I see people suffering, nor do I have any "maternal" instincts. Heck when I was 15 I was forced to hold my 6 month old niece even after I said I didn't want to and as soon as it started crying I threw it on the ground! I know that was awful but I never felt the least bit bad about it, and I know any child I would have would NOT be taken care of.

Things like BC/IUDs etc, mess with my hormones and make me sick. I just want to do me and the whole world a favor by being sterilized.

You think if I went to an OB and started spouting off tons of anti-kid stuff and say stuff like I'd kill any child I had an OB would allow me to get my tubes tied? I just KNOW I would be a horrible mother and want to make sure no child has to experience being raised or abandoned by me.
My BFF did it in her 20s.

She came from a long line of alcoholics, got sober herself and was DEFINITE about not having the interest or capacity to be a parent and also nervous her kid would have the dependency issue. Never regretted it.

HOWEVER, I had an IUD and it was flawless. I NEVER HEARD of any problem with HORMONES.

YOU SURE ABOUT THAT???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2015, 10:02 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Hi, not sure if this is the best section to post this but it seemed like a good place.

I am 24 and DESPERATELY want to get my tubes tied. Many may say that I'm young and will change my mind but I promise you, I would NOT be a good mother by ANY means! For one I have ZERO empathy. As in while I may not go out and hurt someone at the same time I never feel any real emotion when people get hurt or I see people suffering, nor do I have any "maternal" instincts. Heck when I was 15 I was forced to hold my 6 month old niece even after I said I didn't want to and as soon as it started crying I threw it on the ground! I know that was awful but I never felt the least bit bad about it, and I know any child I would have would NOT be taken care of.

Things like BC/IUDs etc, mess with my hormones and make me sick. I just want to do me and the whole world a favor by being sterilized.

You think if I went to an OB and started spouting off tons of anti-kid stuff and say stuff like I'd kill any child I had an OB would allow me to get my tubes tied? I just KNOW I would be a horrible mother and want to make sure no child has to experience being raised or abandoned by me.
Though the Mirena IUD has a VERY small amount of hormones, it worked great for me. There are other IUDs that contain NO hormone that you can check out. They're effective for anywhere from 5-10 years and can be removed at any point. I always like to give myself options, especially for emotional topics that can be influenced by me reacting extremely to others' opinions.

You have nothing to prove to ANYONE - so don't cut off your nose to spite your face - give yourself options.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:07 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennies4Penny View Post
You might want to look up how the procedure is actually done, because that's not true at all.

If done by 8 weeks, you can have a medical abortion in which you take pills to induce a miscarriage. At this point it is still an embryo.
After that you would have a surgical one. There is no "cutting up" of anything. A D&C after a miscarriage is the exact same procedure.

In any case, I don't know why you would care if you are as unempathetic and cold towards children as claim to be. If you threw a human being on the ground that can feel, think and has conscious awareness of what is happening to it, why would removing a tiny mass of tissue from you body be even the slightest bit bothersome? Doesn't make sense? Will your tubes be sad and emotionally damaged because you cut them up? No. An embryo or fetus won't care if it's removed from your body either, because it can't.

Anyway... If you can't find someone to do it, a non hormonal IUD is your best bet. They are very safe, highly effective and long lasting. You would only need one from now until you are 30 or whenever age these doctors think you are "old enough" to decide for yourself. I agree with calling Planned Parenthood. They would probably be the most open minded about it.
OP, I strongly suggest that you get counseling.

It is extremely contradictory to say that you do not have empathy and would not care for a live, already born child and yet claim to be so opposed to early abortions, where the fetus is a just a small bunch of unthinking, unknowing cells far, far smaller than your fallopian tubes.

OP, I suspect that doctors are reluctant to treat you because they also see this gross contradiction and are very concerned that in the future you will change your mind. Or they are concerned that you have other cognitive or emotional problems that are clouding your judgement.

Last edited by germaine2626; 11-16-2015 at 11:59 AM..

Old 11-16-2015, 11:38 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Though the Mirena IUD has a VERY small amount of hormones, it worked great for me.
THIS! I am sensitive to hormones and I was nervous about Mirena, but so far no bad effects. I think its the estrogen that really effected me and most of the hormones in an IUD don't even make it to your blood stream. It's so nice to not even have to think about.

Old 11-16-2015, 11:59 AM

720 posts, read 766,203 times
Quote:
Then what's the problem? If an adult woman wants her tubes tied then what business is it of the ob whether you regret or not? I would think it's much better to sterilize someone and them not have kids than not and have kids they don't take care of or abuse.

I will call, but it seems absurd what I have to do. Shouldn't a woman be able to do whatever she wants with her body? So some women regret it, that's not my problem. As for now I don't use any contracpetive other than my partners using condoms.

It is traumatic when you consider what they do; cut up and suction out fetus parts, ick!

Somehow it seems odd that you "care" about that, but would throw an infant on the floor.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:10 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,749,614 times
I had a guy friend who had a vasectomy. He didn't want kids. However the doctor said he would do it after six months.

Go in and talk to an OB, let them know what you want done, ask if you can discuss it, return within a certain amount of time and come back for the procedure.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:13 PM

720 posts, read 766,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
It can be reversed, go ahead and get a tubal ligation (99% effective).
There will come a time when you will be so in love it will be all you can think about to give your lover a baby. It's only been happening since the beginning of time.
All the best to you young lady.

Um...did you miss the part about no empathy, and throwing a baby on the ground? What does "so in love" even look like for an individual like that?

Old 11-16-2015, 12:31 PM

229 posts, read 240,818 times
I tried to get mine tied in my 20's and they insisted that they would not do the procedure because I didn't have three children.

To me that made no sense because I wanted zero children and that is why I wanted them tied.

Old 11-16-2015, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay Effzee View Post
Um...did you miss the part about no empathy, and throwing a baby on the ground? What does "so in love" even look like for an individual like that?
Yes. That was very dangerous.

But, even 15 year olds can do something very, very stupid one time. That does not mean that the same person would do that stupid thing again at age 25 or 35 Or at age 40.

Do you have the same maturity at age 25 or 35 or 40 that you had as a 15 year old teenager? I would be surprised if you said "yes".

Old 11-16-2015, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Siam View Post
I tried to get mine tied in my 20's and they insisted that they would not do the procedure because I didn't have three children.

To me that made no sense because I wanted zero children and that is why I wanted them tied.
His long ago was that? They often used a multiple child reason a few decade s ago.

How old are you now? Did you have your tubes tied when you were older?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting