Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 04:58 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times

Advertisements

I'm older now but still make envelopes out of magazine front covers and mail them and they make interesting envelopes as well and the people who receive them with their letters enjoy them . I have been doing that for years .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 05:26 AM

4,290 posts, read 4,009,775 times
you can find many many stuff from your own kitchen and from house hold to do craft stuff, as an example milk can to make a swan with the help of toilette paper rolls. My daughter is 10 her favorite still Lego. I did not buy all the the time lego for her I did a big packet for the Christmas and her birthday. And I teach her to save money in a till for her Lego packet.

Old 02-28-2016, 07:30 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,358,121 times
Obviously there are different kinds of "crafts". Some are more "artsy" and creative in that you just take raw and random materials and make something, whatever comes to mind.

The OP seems to be talking about true crafts that are like kits and are good at getting kids to learn how to follow directions. They both have their place but are very different I think in terms of expense. Kits pretty much need to be purchased and maybe are good for only a single use where bunches of art supplies can be reused or repurposed.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:06 AM

24,556 posts, read 18,239,810 times
Don't forget the 5 gallon tub of edible paste. That was my favorite at age 5.

Old 02-28-2016, 11:41 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredtired View Post
My 5 year old has just discovered the joy of step-by-step arts and crafts. I think it great. Give her a tub of materials, some options for projects, and if she's in the right mood, she'll create something out of the book.

She also loves building Lego, carefully following the directions to build the item out of the Lego bits in the box.

Problem is, Lego projects are too expensive, at $10 - $15. And we only have 1 tub of art materials with up to 54 projects. She'll probably make 5 or so of them before she wants to go onto other things.

Second problem is, my wife and I both work and we're strapped on time. We don't have time to go buy lots of art and craft supplies and wouldn't really want to purchase a lot of that anyway.

What can we do to support my daughters interest in step-by-step crafts?

Are there good books with craft options that my 5 year old can do?
YouTube is a great resource for creative types of any age. My one of my passions is woodworking. I am not much good at it but I do enjoy it. Wood carving or whittling can be very rewarding and cheap. A good pocket knife or carving knife is all that is needed. Fallen branches will keep her busy for countless hours for very little money. Make sure she understands how to handle carving tools safely YouTube has many good videos on the topic but to make sure she understands it would be a good idea if she watched with a parent/s.

Old 02-28-2016, 01:20 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,505,356 times
Great ideas on this thread! I'd foster her creativity with a supply of materials (recycled, new, whatever!) and books from the library about crafts. I know you're short on time, but working together on crafts every so often can really boost her creativity and will make for memories she'll never forget. Surely a few hours once in a while can be done. It will also show her that she can make up her own crafts. It seems like you like the idea of giving her instructions to follow and materials to keep her busy, but I think allowing for creativity "outside the box" and sharing in that experience when you're able will go a very long way towards her development and enjoyment!

Old 02-28-2016, 03:29 PM

30,254 posts, read 23,725,162 times
I agree with those who say let her use her imagination. Not everything has to be made like it looks like on the box. Instead of a lego "kit" to build a specific thing, get her random legos and have her come up with her own thing. Same with all craft supplies...no need for instruction books and "how tos", just give her some items and have her create from her own mind.

Old 03-01-2016, 05:02 PM

143 posts, read 133,742 times
Don't buy Legos whole price at stores if you don't want to spend a fortune. Instead, you can get bags full of legos for pennies at garage sales or off e-bay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting