Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 08:44 AM

9,000 posts, read 10,178,983 times

Advertisements

Uh oh.....someone said the words that
should NEVER be said......

Get a job

Old 04-22-2016, 08:52 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
I thought you were done??

Old 04-22-2016, 08:53 AM

1,955 posts, read 1,760,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forenzavue View Post
Wow...you sure have a lot of assumptions. Our child received Early Intervention services for two years and now is receiving 2 hrs of ST and OT per week. We have plenty of $$$ for anything he needs...THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

Good. I was going to ask about this. You said on your other thread he was diagnosed with Sensory Seeking and Sensory Avoidance (two types of Sensory Processing Disorder) and also OCD. 3 is a little young for an OCD diagnosis, but it's not the first time I've heard that. The OT for the SPD and OCD sounds right, but I'm not sure why you need ST for those? Is there a speech delay?

I assume you are getting free services through the school system right now. Which are great. But if you already have one parent at home, I would echo the other posters' recommendation to seek employment yourself to get extra money you can use for extra private therapy. I have found that my son does much better when he gets additional private therapy in addition to free services. You are in a great position to be able to do this since you have a spouse at home. You could also look into private schools that deal with special needs, you could even look in Florida, to make your fiancé happy.

If I were trying to put my child first, that's what I would do. I would get a job to pay for private therapy and private school, and then I would try and move to Florida to make the stay at home parent happy and comfortable, because a happy dad makes for a happy kid. That's what putting your child first looks like.

Old 04-22-2016, 08:56 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,806,429 times
Quote:
Yeah. Seems like now we're making stuff up to strengthen our position.

Okay, do you want me to post links to ALL his progress therapy notes? In another day and time, I would have to prove I was telling the truth, but I am not wasting my previous time anymore on you guys. I pray you all find Jesus. God bless every one of you and I pray for you.

Whether you're being truthful or not is of no real importance. 31K a year (mostly made up of a SS payment you will NOT be eligible for unless you're married for 10 YEARS) while supporting a child with special needs that may need more and more intervention as he gets into school is not a finically stable position.

You have the means to remedy that by getting job, earning money and having a fully funded emergency fund for whatever may come. You refuse to do that because you claim your child needs 2 parents to care for him. BS. I have a friend whose child needs 24/7 supervision due to a physical special need and somehow both she and her husband manage to work full time jobs because they recognize that meeting his needs takes money and they want to assure they can always be met.

Stay in FT. Wayne if it's what you and your finance agreed to, but for the sake of your kid let go of your dream to stay at home. You simply cannot afford it.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:14 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Whether you're being truthful or not is of no real importance. 31K a year (mostly made up of a SS payment you will NOT be eligible for unless you're married for 10 YEARS) while supporting a child with special needs that may need more and more intervention as he gets into school is not a finically stable position.

You have the means to remedy that by getting job, earning money and having a fully funded emergency fund for whatever may come. You refuse to do that because you claim your child needs 2 parents to care for him. BS. I have a friend whose child needs 24/7 supervision due to a physical special need and somehow both she and her husband manage to work full time jobs because they recognize that meeting his needs takes money and they want to assure they can always be met.

Stay in FT. Wayne if it's what you and your finance agreed to, but for the sake of your kid let go of your dream to stay at home. You simply cannot afford it.
Has the OP ever said how old the father might be? If he's older maybe he doesn't have the energy to keep up with a 3 year old. Or maybe he does have the energy and he doesn't want to keep up with a 3 year old. I agree the OP NEEDS to get a job so they have money to pay for whatever therapies their son will need as he gets older.

OP - I have a couple of questions for you. 1. You say that the school is a 10 but have you visited the school? Do you know how the school handles IEP's (in case you need one)? 2. What happens if by the time your son gets to that school it's no longer a 10? It happens.

At one point, if you graduated from a FL HS and had a certain GPA 80% of your college tuition was taken care of by the state I believe. I know a family that moved from the NoVa area (which had fantastic schools)down to the Orlando area and 3 of their 4 daughters had college mostly paid for when it was time. All 4 of their daughters live in FL still. One is a Special Ed teacher and another is a school counselor.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pansori View Post
I believe the OP mentioned in a previous thread title she is 44 years old, so I am assuming the husband is at least 60.

Honestly...in this city, how difficult is it for @ 44-year-old woman to get a clerical job...

He has to be at least 62 to collect SS. She said he is retiring so it's not SS disability.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
Has the OP ever said how old the father might be? If he's older maybe he doesn't have the energy to keep up with a 3 year old. Or maybe he does have the energy and he doesn't want to keep up with a 3 year old. I agree the OP NEEDS to get a job so they have money to pay for whatever therapies their son will need as he gets older.

OP - I have a couple of questions for you. 1. You say that the school is a 10 but have you visited the school? Do you know how the school handles IEP's (in case you need one)? 2. What happens if by the time your son gets to that school it's no longer a 10? It happens.

At one point, if you graduated from a FL HS and had a certain GPA 80% of your college tuition was taken care of by the state I believe. I know a family that moved from the NoVa area (which had fantastic schools)down to the Orlando area and 3 of their 4 daughters had college mostly paid for when it was time. All 4 of their daughters live in FL still. One is a Special Ed teacher and another is a school counselor.

Yes, he's 62. And if it's just that he doesn't "want" to take care of his son, then this would be a perfect time to prove he's a "real" man and do so.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:29 AM

420 posts, read 704,494 times
Quote:
"In your case I think you are not putting the child's needs first, you are putting your own wants first and masquerading it as the child's needs."

That is an OUTRIGHT LIE!!
A kid going to a school that a website deems a 10 or an A is a want, not a need, point blank.

Your kid doesn't need to go to an excellent school. You want him to go to a school that is considered excellent AND you are pushing your wants over your husband's and proclaiming it to be the child's needs.

Why are you not more supportive of your husband's dreams?

Old 04-22-2016, 09:33 AM

6,806 posts, read 4,907,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeurich View Post
your child is your child and there is the most priority. I am a single mom and I understand that.
No guy in his right mind should marry someone and become a step dad to her kids if she has an attitude like this.

Single moms who are hoping to find a great guy to be a part of their family, here is news for you. Pay attention to this. If you want to keep a good guy in your life, don't put your kids ahead of him. If you think you need to do that, just stay single and raise them yourself.

No guy who is emotionally healthy who has any other options in his life will stay with a woman who thinks her kid is the Jesus Baby and trumps everyone else's needs.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:39 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,947,458 times
People who would put a new significant other before their own flesh and blood are mentally and morally bankrupt.

I have a radical view that if parents get divorced, they should not get romantically involved again until the kid(s) are 18 or the kids give their OK. The parents are the ones who screwed up and sucked at their relationship. The kids shouldn't have to deal with the instability of a parade of baby mamas and daddies in their life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting