Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2016, 10:17 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisCD View Post
School should be about teaching things like Reading, Writing, Math, Science, History. I really don't think most reasonable parents would expect the kindergarten class to be introducing this kind of information. And there was a time, when parents actually were made aware of controversial things and allowed to opt their children out which should be the parent's right.

cd :O)

Here is the big controversy the OP has an issue with:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81TJG-CNibL.jpg

A picture of two cartoon roosters with three baby chicks. You really think parents should have to sign forms or be able to opt out of their children seeing a picture of cartoon roosters?

Old 06-07-2016, 10:19 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
I still can't figure out if the OP's problem is the actual topic of gay marriage, or the fact that the teachers told his kid about it before he did.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:25 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,024,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
I still can't figure out if the OP's problem is the actual topic of gay marriage, or the fact that the teachers told his kid about it before he did.
Gay marriage wasn't even what was being discussed. It was a book about cartoon animal families that simply said "Some children have two dads, some have one mom." The book also talks about how some children have lots of siblings, while some have known, and how some children live with their grandparents.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:39 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,392,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Gay marriage wasn't even what was being discussed. It was a book about cartoon animal families that simply said "Some children have two dads, some have one mom." The book also talks about how some children have lots of siblings, while some have known, and how some children live with their grandparents.
Yes, this is accurate. Lots of people have two moms or two dads and that doesn't mean they are gay. One could be a biological parent and another the adoptive parent. One could be a step-parent. Lots of families aren't traditional.

Talk with your child and discuss your views. Reading a random book won't affect your child, but your discussion about the book will be important to them.

Old 06-08-2016, 04:16 AM

7,488 posts, read 10,490,127 times
Whereas most here see this as "the usual" and "just the beginning", the OP sees it as an outrage. The OP has a right to raise his/her children as they see fit. Some folks see this as being "inclusive" but many do not. Others say this has "nothing to do with sex". I disagree. If a 5 or 6 yo is canny enough to catch on to the meaning, then it is indeed about sex, or at least, adult relationships.

It is a pity that when a very very small % of the population becomes vocal enough, the other 98-99% must comply. Since when? I don't care about the lifestyles of other adults, but I DO care about what my children (and in my case, my grandchildren) are told about it.

The OP is correct that the state (e.g. the "school") is trying to beat the parents to the punch when it comes to sex ed. We are now entering the realm of "morality". Who has sex with whom is a moral issue, not a "social" issue. It's not about "inclusiveness". It's about sexual lifestyle. And don't be fooled if they use "cartoon animals"; they are smart enough to know what appeals to kids. Kids may not know all the mechanics of sex, but they know that adults who cohabit love each other, and sleep in the same bedroom. And it won't be long before they discuss what goes on in that bedroom.

OP, you are not alone. Here's another reaction from parents in Canada (good video!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC2XMWCFQ8s

Old 06-08-2016, 04:25 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
Whereas most here see this as "the usual" and "just the beginning", the OP sees it as an outrage. The OP has a right to raise his/her children as they see fit. Some folks see this as being "inclusive" but many do not. Others say this has "nothing to do with sex". I disagree. If a 5 or 6 yo is canny enough to catch on to the meaning, then it is indeed about sex, or at least, adult relationships.

It is a pity that when a very very small % of the population becomes vocal enough, the other 98-99% must comply. Since when? I don't care about the lifestyles of other adults, but I DO care about what my children (and in my case, my grandchildren) are told about it.

The OP is correct that the state (e.g. the "school") is trying to beat the parents to the punch when it comes to sex ed. We are now entering the realm of "morality". Who has sex with whom is a moral issue, not a "social" issue. It's not about "inclusiveness". It's about sexual lifestyle. And don't be fooled if they use "cartoon animals"; they are smart enough to know what appeals to kids. Kids may not know all the mechanics of sex, but they know that adults who cohabit love each other, and sleep in the same bedroom. And it won't be long before they discuss what goes on in that bedroom.

OP, you are not alone. Here's another reaction from parents in Canada (good video!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kC2XMWCFQ8s
What is so hard for people to understand about our public school system.

It's a system built on inclusiveness, if we're talking about families and there are same sex couples, those kids have a right to see their family represented. Just like single moms, dads, grandparents, step-families etc....

ALL of those different types of families, no one complains about, but the second you try to include children of homosexuals people flip out.

Same sex couples are not going anywhere and in a public school system they have a right to be represented.

You don't want your kids to learn about gay marriage, find a private school who fits your values.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:30 AM

1,644 posts, read 1,664,677 times
If you don't like the curriculum in the public school system, find a school whose curriculum you approve of.

Old 06-08-2016, 06:54 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
Quote:
Here is the big controversy the OP has an issue with:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81TJG-CNibL.jpg

A picture of two cartoon roosters with three baby chicks. You really think parents should have to sign forms or be able to opt out of their children seeing a picture of cartoon roosters?
OMG I would be outraged that they taught about octopus parents!

Old 06-08-2016, 07:44 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
And so is smoking and drinking, but they're things that only adults are supposed to do. Having two dads or two moms is something that children will be doing now (actually have been doing for a long time, but the parents can be legally married now, so it will be more acceptable to see both parents at the school together making it more obvious that the parents are a same-sex couple).
Yes, I recall when one of mine was in K or 1st grade, there was a big ruckus in some schools about the book "Heather Has Two Mommies". Nowadays, that book probably seems outdated. Note: this book was not part of my kid's curriculum.

Quote:
Sounds like you might want to look into homeschooling if you are wanting that much control over your child's education. The school doesn't know what each and every parent has talked to their children about, how are they supposed to know what topics are ok and which topics some parents might not want their child to know about?
No, please. The OP's style of not using capital letters to begin sentences drives me crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
Welcome to the real world. You can't always control what your children are exposed to. You can control your response to the topics as they come up.

Remember, her questions and comprehension of the answers are probably very basic. You don't ever have to explain the entire issue. Keep your responses age appropriate. The simplest answer is best. If you act like topics you aren't thrilled about are a big deal, she will come up with more questions.

"Yes, sometimes two women can marry, and two men can marry". That is all you need to say. Same sex couples can and do appear in public without fear of legal censure. But you very rarely see people in the act of making babies in public, (which as far as i know is illegal) so your example isn't very valid.

When my daughter went to Kindergarten I was dismayed that she had to participate in a 9/11 memorial ceremony. I would have preferred she not learn about that event at that age. You just can't shelter your kids from everyone.
Great post. I'll add, my younger daughter was in K in 1992, during the Clinton/Bush (both older varieties) campaign. She came home one day from K and said, "Clinton kills babies in their mommies' tummies". MmKay! I think I would have rather handled "Heather has two mommies".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Yup. Once they start school, a great deal of effort is spent trying to stay one step ahead of what their ragamuffin friends teach them. My oldest is only 11, and we've already had to have quite a few discussions that *I* wasn't ready to have to have with him, but the horse was out of the barn.
I learned not to always blame the friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Same sex marriage exists. Unless you are saying that they should not be making any mention of families at all, then there is no basis to say they can't discuss different types of families. Not sure where you live but it would be highly unlikely that there are no children in the class who come from something other than a traditional male/female married parent family - whether that's a same sex couple, an unmarried hetereosexual couple, a single parent, divorced parents, children being raised by family members other than a parent - there are all types of families in our world today, and the children from those families deserve to have their families recognized just like yours does. Again, unless you think they should prohibit any and all discussion of families.
Yes, and family is something Ks can relate to. This is the beginning of social studies education.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:28 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
this is exactly why my niece home schools she does not want a public school teaching values that are not hers nor her husbands so they decided before the child was born that they were going to homeschool . If you are offended by a public school that does not teach your values then you should home school or put them in private school or a church run school .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting