Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2016, 08:32 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

The answer to your daughter's question is Yes. If that's what you want.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:36 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Maybe there is a child in the class whose parents are not of the traditional type? Who knows? You could ask the teacher. Maybe the book has other themes the teacher was trying to convey? Maybe the point was team-building? Lots of possibilities...The book has great reviews. Talk to your child's teacher.
Yes. This is exactly what I was thinking after I read the OP.

I live in a pretty conservative area and know several "non-traditional" families. Those kids should feel just as welcome and accepted in their schools as the kids of "traditional" families.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:39 AM

2,813 posts, read 2,114,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
should i be asking the teacher when she plans on telling my daughter how babies are made? i havent had that conversation yet either. its legal also.
Probably not.

But how about adoption? You should fully expect your daughter's teacher to read books about adoption. Especially if it relates personally to any child in the classroom.

Is that going to be a problem for you?

Old 06-08-2016, 08:45 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
About families?! Have you not talked to your kindergarten child about families? By that age, it should not be a completely foreign idea that people have all different types of families.

Is this the book you are so worked up about? A book about cartoon animals?

Families, Families, Families!: Suzanne Lang: 9780553499384: Amazon.com: Books
Okay, I'm not going to contribute to the discussion, other than by saying that this is an ADORABLE book. Soo cute!

Old 06-08-2016, 08:53 AM

2,936 posts, read 2,335,424 times
It's incredibly frustrating to see how many adults can't seem to grasp that this has little to do with homosexuality. It's not a book specifically about gay marriage since the book obviously isn't about marriage, or sexual relations.

It's animals with all different kinds of parents and households.

I just don't understand why some get so bent out of shape about this.

Old 06-08-2016, 09:06 AM

50,378 posts, read 63,993,273 times
I would have given a short answer and that would have probably been enough. Something like, "Yes, Mindi, sometimes men and women want to marry each other. There are all different kinds of families. The most important thing is that they love and support each other."
I doubt if a 6 year old would see any difference between a lesbian couple or two sisters living together, or gay men and a bunch of straight male roommates living together. The hang ups are ours.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:04 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
i think people without children or people with older children dont understand where a kindergarten age child is at. my daughter isnt on this yet and neither are her classmates. people pretend as if this is something the child will see, so they should be taught it in school. its a very weird concept. firstly, children arent likely to see it in my area and everyone (including the school staff) know this. secondly, if children see it; their parents can talk about it. im not sure why everyone is ceding their duties as a parent to the school. if my daughter saw two men with a child; she isnt going to go over to them and start dropping f bombs and telling them that they arent welcome in these parts. she is going to ask me about it. this just isnt something that we need to be desperate to ram into kids heads and i dont really need to say this because everyone knows it. its intentional, its social engineering. they are intentionally starting before parents because they want to beat us to it. i dont appreciate that they did it early because they want to get to it before parents.
Many could rightfully argue that having any school teach a child anything is "ceding their duties as a parent to the school."

Are parents not capable of teaching their own kids to read?
Do arithmetic?
Learn history from books borrowed from the library?

To presume that people with older children particularly don't understand where a kindergarten child is intellectually, emotionally, etc. is rather odd.
To also assume that "they are intentionally starting before parents" is one of those blanket statements that is completely meaningless unless/until you are able to survey every parent of every child in that age group.
My grand-daughter has already had this particular conversation with her four-year old daughter, so...

Sure, I may not know where your child is but kids are not that different from one generation to the next.
If anything, most of us with older kids and (great) grand kids, have learned that often the best way to handle "uncomfortable" situations is to answer the question with as simple a response possible - in this case "yes" - and move on.
I do know that kids at that age don't really need anything more detailed than that.
But that may be something that people only learn with experience.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:13 AM

1,023 posts, read 1,552,432 times
The answer is, Yes she will have the option to marry a woman once she reaches adulthood. That is a simple fact. Unless our country regresses and makes same-sex marriage illegal again. In which case, she'll still have the option to move to other countries such as Denmark and marry a woman. So, to put it simply, the answer to her question is Yes.

I have a 4-year-old daughter and my policy is to tell her the truth when she asks me a question. Kind of crazy, I know.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:24 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,234,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I would have given a short answer and that would have probably been enough. Something like, "Yes, Mindi, sometimes men and women want to marry each other. There are all different kinds of families. The most important thing is that they love and support each other."
I doubt if a 6 year old would see any difference between a lesbian couple or two sisters living together, or gay men and a bunch of straight male roommates living together. The hang ups are ours.
When I was a kid, there was a lesbian couple that lived across the street, and I was friends with their daughter. I had to have been 10 or 11 years old before it occurred to me that they weren't just roommates. It wasn't much more shocking that finding out that the brother and sister next door were having a baby; turns out they weren't actually brother and sister, but just said landlord wouldn't rent to an unmarried couple. Which was odd in an of itself, considering it was an ultra-liberal town.

Old 06-08-2016, 10:26 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,226,281 times
So much hysteria all the time.

My daughter just finished up kindergarten. Her teacher was pregnant and delivered with about a month left in the year. I was bombarded with how are babies made. How dare she introduce such concepts.

We have a mixed race family that we are friends with. We just went on vacation with them. My kids generally aren't curious about race, but during a trip with just the two of us to a store she asked if white people could marry black people. I explained yes and also that it wasn't always the case. I think she was more checking on her future options with their son, so a little chat about appropriate behavior as well......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting