Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 11:55 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,882,691 times

Advertisements

I have posted about some of the struggles my son has had. This week he went to a computer coding camp and just fit in perfectly and had a fantastic time. It was only a few days, but he started to make friends with other kids there. Even when they spent most of their time at a computer!

So I know I need to work on "filling his cup" this year and find something outside of school to help him find like minded peers (his school is very small and so far he hasn't made a good friend in there).

Looking at our local options, I cant find much. 4-H or boy scouts?

He likes nature, animals, science and tech. Computers, minecraft, various boy stuff. He doesn't like to do things like hiking (physical delays make it much harder for him).

Anyone do 4-H or Boy Scouts that could share their experience and what types of things they do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2016, 12:02 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
I don't know where you live, but do you have Snapology locations near you?
https://snapology.com/#x-content-band-5

Bricks4Kids is another good program. My daughter did this in Kinder. I thought it was a little too advanced for that age.
http://www.bricks4kidz.com

Old 08-26-2016, 12:04 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,267,353 times
4H is more geared towards a rural lifestyle. Lots of animal based activities. Participation in state fair showings and such.

Scouts will be a little broader based with badges in a greater variety of activities. Some survival things, some citizenship things, various skills. A lot depends on the leaders and their backgrounds.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:06 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,000,428 times
How Old is he? What Grade is he in?

Old 08-26-2016, 01:45 PM

He just turned 11 and going into 5th grade.

Yeah we aren't rural so much. We have 2 acres, but its mostly woods and yard. Our dogs would likely eat any small animal we had (high prey drive dogs). So that isn't so great. On their website they talk about stem and healthy living and such but don't really go into it more.

I feel like both 4-h and boy scouts don't give enough info on their sites to know.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:45 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
I personally would not do boy scouts. I have not found the leaders to be particularly good with boys who have issues. Also, of course, their is the issue of discrimination against gays.

Do you have a community college near you that has kids classes? Do you have a robotics club either at the school or the library? How about your park district? Ours had lego classes that were a lot of fun.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I personally would not do boy scouts. I have not found the leaders to be particularly good with boys who have issues. Also, of course, their is the issue of discrimination against gays.

Do you have a community college near you that has kids classes? Do you have a robotics club either at the school or the library? How about your park district? Ours had lego classes that were a lot of fun.
I cant find regular classes that would suit. His school's robotic's club is full

Old 08-26-2016, 03:01 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,054,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
He just turned 11 and going into 5th grade.

Yeah we aren't rural so much. We have 2 acres, but its mostly woods and yard. Our dogs would likely eat any small animal we had (high prey drive dogs). So that isn't so great. On their website they talk about stem and healthy living and such but don't really go into it more.

I feel like both 4-h and boy scouts don't give enough info on their sites to know.
You can be your own 4-H club. He could do some independent research on robotics and do his own thing. It doesn't have to be agricultural.

Around here there is a 4-H for photography and Art along with all of the other groups that are geared towards agriculture, animal husbandry, equestrians, etc...

Maybe starting a 4-H for computers would gather all the other like minded kids that could not make it into the school's robotics club?

Old 08-26-2016, 05:12 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
4H is more geared towards a rural lifestyle. Lots of animal based activities. Participation in state fair showings and such.

Scouts will be a little broader based with badges in a greater variety of activities. Some survival things, some citizenship things, various skills. A lot depends on the leaders and their backgrounds.
That is a common misconception.

I live in a suburb of Milwaukee. Many of the 4-H clubs in my area have absolute no animal involvement at all. I just checked and of the 6 million 4-Hers in the US in 2016, 3.4 million live in urban or suburban areas and only 2.6 live in rural areas.

IMHO 4-H being coed, and mixed ages, is a real plus.

The 4-H Pledge says it well.
I pledge my head to clearer thinking,
My heart to greater loyalty,
My hands to larger service,
and my health to better living,
for my club, my community, my country, and my world.

Last edited by germaine2626; 08-26-2016 at 05:24 PM..

Old 08-26-2016, 05:26 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
One of my nephews has been in Boy Scouts for many years. Outdoor stuff like hiking and camping is common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting