Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2016, 06:44 PM

501 posts, read 933,727 times

Advertisements

If a child (say in middle school) misbehaves in a way that does not impact you or your family, do you think it is your job to publically shame him by telling everyone about the child's misbehavior?

If not, why not?

Recently there was a situation in my community where an incident occurred at school, and a parent heard about the misbehavior and decided that she needed to inform the community about it. The story was bent from a particular angle, and shared among various gossipy members of the community who loved to hear the dirt about what inappropriate behavior children are up to these days.

I felt bad for those involved in the incident. The gossip was not productive (everybody claimed that it was "valuable information" but of course nobody could take any actions with the information they had) and I'm sure that it harmed the reputation of those involved.

At that point, I decided to exit that particular group as I do not need to hang out with those who have nothing better to do than to share dirt about children in the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2016, 07:28 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,975,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoincomes View Post
If a child (say in middle school) misbehaves in a way that does not impact you or your family, do you think it is your job to publically shame him by telling everyone about the child's misbehavior?

If not, why not?

Recently there was a situation in my community where an incident occurred at school, and a parent heard about the misbehavior and decided that she needed to inform the community about it. The story was bent from a particular angle, and shared among various gossipy members of the community who loved to hear the dirt about what inappropriate behavior children are up to these days.

I felt bad for those involved in the incident. The gossip was not productive (everybody claimed that it was "valuable information" but of course nobody could take any actions with the information they had) and I'm sure that it harmed the reputation of those involved.

At that point, I decided to exit that particular group as I do not need to hang out with those who have nothing better to do than to share dirt about children in the community.
Is it "your job"?

An adult spreads rumors about a child. That's really not anywhere in the job description of "adult." When we were kids, we used to say, "Mind your own beeswax."

Old 12-26-2016, 07:57 PM

14,327 posts, read 11,719,111 times
Quote:
Probably smart. People like that aren't going to limit themselves to gossiping just about children.

Old 12-26-2016, 08:55 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,702,366 times
I'd say no. If it did not impact "you" directly, then it's inappropriate. Once something gets away from the original ones involved, things get skewed and facts distorted.

Old 12-27-2016, 03:12 AM

866 posts, read 630,404 times
[quote=twoincomes;46625761]If a child (say in middle school) misbehaves in a way that does not impact you or your family, do you think it is your job to publically shame him by telling everyone about the child's misbehavior?
I'd be more inclined to shame the kid's parents for doing such a bad job of parenting.
If not, why not?
Bad parenting usually produces kids who behave badly.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:07 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,318,510 times
If I see a kid doing something stupid, I'm calling him out on it. I'd want other adults to do the same if my kids were being dumb.

Old 12-27-2016, 05:18 AM

589 posts, read 1,348,348 times
I will sometimes intercede with another's child, when I think I can be helpful. Many times at the grocery store, the toddler in front of me is now tired and cranky and hungry and whining or crying. If I talk to the child, make faces, engage, the mother can focus on checking out and getting home, which is all the child wants. If my first attempts are met with anger from the parent I back off.

There was a time recently, again at the grocery store. 10/11 year old boy, obviously healthy, driving around the store in a motorized shopping cart, meant for disabled customers. Which on it's own would have been fine. But he was deliberately crashing into other people, other carts, and trying hard to run down his younger siblings. When his family got to the check out, minutes after I got on line, I saw he was with a grandmother and several other younger children. He continued to terrorize customers, employees and his siblings (or cousins, I'm not sure). The employees were all muttering to themselves, but no one would stop him. As i left the building, he came racing after me to try to hit me. I stopped dead and gave him the 'mom glare' (as my kids call it). And said "young man, that is not a toy. It is a tool for the use of those who cannot walk well enough to do their shopping without that tool. God blessed you with two good legs, start using them."

He laughed and ridiculed me, I ignored and continued to walk. I don't know if my words had any impact, but he did immediately put the cart back where it belonged.

Old 12-27-2016, 07:31 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,196,161 times
Public shaming?? What fVck the? What is wrong with people?

Old 12-27-2016, 07:49 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,228,517 times
Quote:

If not, why not?

Not only would I not condone or participate, I would do everything I could to stop it.

You should have done more than passively stand by while an adult is doing this to a child. Actually....And I have done so....You should go to the child's parents and tell them what this adult is doing.

There was a teacher mistreating an adopted child, a fellow student in the class with my daughter. She told me how this child was being ridiculed and embarrassed constantly by their teacher during class....and to add this teacher was a nun in a Catholic school, and this was a child that wasn't Caucasian and had come from a third world country and had been adopted by a lovely family.

My daughter told me, and I called this Mom and told her. She came to my house in person to thank me after she went to the principle.

To this day this young man has been a friend of my daughters, and they are in their 40's.

Old 12-27-2016, 08:03 AM

1,478 posts, read 1,515,443 times
Something similar happened at our school, the mom who decided to blast the kid wasn't involved in the situation and had no facts other than the one comment the original mom involved had given before taking her post down.

She was new to our neighborhood and to our school, so she gave us all a pretty bad first impression. Some of the language she chose was completely out of line.

She was the only one that this reflected badly on at the end of the day. Nobody remembers who the kid was but we all remember her. It does come back to haunt people later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting