Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 05:58 PM

2,957 posts, read 5,901,088 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susannah14 View Post
My husband was in the men's room at a public shopping center today, peeing at a urinal. In walks a 30-something woman with her 3-year old son. She takes him to the urinal to pee. Right next to my husband. This is weird, right? Mothers take their sons to the WOMEN'S room, RIGHT? RIIGHT?!?! I mean I can't even fathom this. I would only walk into a men's room in my worst nightmare. She walked in there like she belonged.

If it matters, this was near Baltimore MD. I need some perspective on this. I myself have a 4-year old son and I will be taking him to the women's room to pee in a toilet until I trust him to be alone to do it himself. I thought that's what everyone did.
You are 100% correct and I don't think your location matters.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:00 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,217,998 times
Quote:
My husband was in the men's room at a public shopping center today, peeing at a urinal. In walks a 30-something woman with her 3-year old son. She takes him to the urinal to pee. Right next to my husband. This is weird, right? Mothers take their sons to the WOMEN'S room, RIGHT? RIIGHT?!?! I mean I can't even fathom this. I would only walk into a men's room in my worst nightmare. She walked in there like she belonged.

If it matters, this was near Baltimore MD. I need some perspective on this. I myself have a 4-year old son and I will be taking him to the women's room to pee in a toilet until I trust him to be alone to do it himself. I thought that's what everyone did.
Maybe the woman is really a man who identifies as a woman.....

Old 01-17-2017, 06:02 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,447,245 times
I've not heard of that and thinks it's unusual but honestly, some posters who've been around long enough might remember threads/posts by people infuriated that a mom dared to bring her male toddler into the ladies room. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:03 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,058 times
Reading this thread is elevating my blood pressure, resurfacing the neverending stresses of being a mother to young children. For parents of young children, dozens of difficult & unique decisions need to be made on a daily basis. One decision might please someone while infuriating another. Can't please everyone!

I look forward to society advancing to the point that children are viewed as they are: humans-in-training. Some day all people in public places will understand & accept & smile that children (and by association their parents too) can be odd little creatures sometimes, so sometimes odd things happen. AND IT'S NO BIG DEAL.

Old 01-17-2017, 07:18 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,733,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Well, being a mom and a grandma, I would not be confronting him. Geesh, this is a basic bodily function. If I had a 3 year son that needed to pee, and I couldn't get him into the women's restroom, I'd take him in the men's room! I am in my 60s and have an understanding of both "pee" and "poop" situations.

I was once at an RV Park and there was a young woman in the bathroom/showers, obviously developmentally delayed. Her father would stick his head in the door to check on her. I did not have an issue with that and told him it was fine. I think it is great when parents care enough to want to keep their children safe.

I have a 30 year old son with Down syndrome that is still at home, and if he goes in the bathroom alone, which I try to avoid, I stand glued to the door and if I hear something, I would come right in, and if he wouldn't come out, I would come in. Trust me when I tell you all, I have no interest in seeing your pee-pee!

With our son, it is a difficult situation. I would advise those with compassion to not pass judgement on others unless they know the full story.

With so many possibilities with pervs in the bathrooms these days, a mother with her 3 year old in the men's room, geesh!
You might not confront him but someone else likely would. There would at the very least be a lot raised eyebrows and some very uncomfortable women.

Not all situations are black and white and of course there are exceptions. It's all in how it's handled. If a Dad knocked on the door and said, "my daughter needs to use the restroom and I need to help her, is it ok for me to come in?" Most people would be more them accommodating. If he just walked in without a word, many people would be wary or uncomfortable. There is a lot to be said for simply being courteous and considering other people's feelings.

In regards to standing by the door listening for your son while he uses the restroom, If you heard something happen, there's nothing wrong with rushing in. Your son's safety and well being comes first. In that type of situation, if people are uncomfortable, oh well, too bad. Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do.

Last edited by MissTerri; 01-17-2017 at 07:29 PM..

Old 01-17-2017, 07:34 PM

21 posts, read 13,264 times
Quote:
I would only walk into a men's room in my worst nightmare. She walked in there like she belonged.

how do you know how she walked in like she belonged? you did not witness it !

Old 01-17-2017, 07:54 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,136,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbab5 View Post
I don't think that's common. The mom probably had extenuating circumstances. Perhaps the ladies room was closed and the 3 year old was about to wet himself. Perhaps the 3 year old had just learned how to use a urinal, and for whatever 3 year old reason was in a phase where he would now only go on a urinal, if in public. Perhaps it was not the mom, but an emergency babysitter with no experience with kids and was confused about which bathroom to go in. I'm thinking it was a fluke.
I agree.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:28 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,825,976 times
I don't think this is a major issue or a matter of being open minded or of catering to a 3-year old's sense of sexuality.

I think it's more a matter of the expectation by some that everyone else should automatically accept anything and everything they consider open-minded or progressive... or be considered narrow-minded and ignorant.

In this case, if there was a real reason (limited access or emergency) she needed to take her 3-year old son into the men's restroom, without so much as even announcing she was coming in, then so be it. Nobody was hurt.

But, if this was simply a self-important expression of her rights, over those of others, then it's another example of the growing lack of standards and boundaries in society today -- under the banner of 'progressive thought.'

<snip>

Last edited by Miss Blue; 01-17-2017 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: deleted politicalcomment

Old 01-17-2017, 08:46 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:

Talk about awkward! If you're going to do this, at least check to see if there's anyone in the bathroom! Not all men would appreciate this.

Old 01-17-2017, 09:02 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,775,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Maybe the woman is really a man who identifies as a woman.....
Then she would have been dressed and coifed as a man.

EDIT: OOPS! Got that backwards.

If that were the case, then HE, already being dressed and coifed as a WOMAN, would be using the women's bathroom - and nobody would have noticed or be having heartburn about it now.

Last edited by Pyewackette; 01-17-2017 at 09:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.