Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 01:16 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereitwent View Post
There is risk for anything anyone chooses to do. But you can mitigate this by planning and recognizing issues before they become active problems. For example, did you know that most SUVs, crossovers, and minivans fail miserably on even slow speed collision tests? At 30 miles per hour hitting a small barrier, most minivans collapse like a house of cards, but yet, people put kids in these every day!! Moronic!! I would never , and have never, put my kid in all three categories of those vehicles:

https://youtu.be/TZC8Ykl1esE
Yes, I bought and SUV that performed well on the offset deliberately.

But, it is a false sense of security to think that because you have a safer car your child is safer than one whose parents never put them in a car. You put them in an automobile, every make model whatever will still be the largest risk of death to a child. Far more than wandering around a grocery store, or even the playground. But you deem that risk acceptable. You are within your rights to do so, but pretending you have some sort of correct answer on risks to children is just plain old not true.

Btw, folding is deliberately designed into the safest cars as physics 101 will tell you things that absorb shock don't transfer as much energy to their passengers. The real issue is that those minivans are unsafe in offset for the DRIVER. Unless you are letting your children drive the cars, the idea that the minivan is dangerous to them in that type of collision is a myth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 02:19 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
*Sigh* Anecdotes always trump research./s

Glad your son is OK.
I have been known to research the safety of vehicles before buying them. The van was "totaled" and it was a low speed crash. But it was meant to do what it did.

Old 04-18-2017, 08:21 PM

196 posts, read 159,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
That's funny. We were hit by a car while in a mini van and the way my van "folded like a house of cards" saved my son's life. If we were in a regular car, my son likely would have been seriously injured if not dead.

*sigh*
Hmm...IIHS or random forum poster's anecdotal evidence. IIHS for me. Also, how are severe car accidents funny?

Also most minivan chassis are built on sedan framework, so the fact that you were in a minivan meant nothing.

Last edited by Whereitwent; 04-18-2017 at 08:34 PM..

Old 04-18-2017, 08:26 PM

196 posts, read 159,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Unless you are letting your children drive the cars, the idea that the minivan is dangerous to them in that type of collision is a myth.
What, can your kids raise themselves if their parents are killed? So as long as the kids are okay the driver's safety doesn't matter? Want to split any more hairs? I can go for the next three months. Starting with this;

Quote:
Unless you are letting your kids driving the cars
I see a lot of kids driving their parent's cars in high school, many of them being minivans. And Children can be used many contexts, including anyone under the age of 18.

Trust me, you really don't want to split hairs with me.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:03 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,888,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereitwent View Post
Hmm...IIHS or random forum poster's anecdotal evidence. IIHS for me. Also, how are severe car accidents funny?

Also most minivan chassis are built on sedan framework, so the fact that you were in a minivan meant nothing.
Funny as in odd. Good lord....

Old 04-22-2017, 08:20 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Because we now live in a world where you are a bad parent if you don't have your hand on your child at all times until they hit 25. CPS must be called, and you are considered a "free range"parent... a VERY BAD thing to be.

It is dumb, I agree, but people think kids off on their own as "running rampant" even if they aren't, and are very likely to let you know what you are doing wrong. So, even if the person isn't going to do that (I personally find kids antics fun) the parent automatically assumes the worst and brings forth the attitude.

I actually surprised more people aren't attacked, given how many people feels it's well within their rights to pitch a fit about someone else's kids.

That's one of the things I fear about getting old...getting to be an intolerant cow who just has to speak up about something totally not my business.
I mean, parents can't win. On one hand - we're accused of being 'helicopter parents" and over-parenting our children. (Everyone has a trophy; the millennial generation, etc)

OTOH - then you get tripe like this because someone allowed their toddler to walk without holding their hand.

IF the toddler was misbehaving, running, knocking things down, screaming, etc - then it needs to stop. IF they are walking within eyesight of parents and not making a scene - then other shoppers need to mind their own business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting