Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 06:44 AM

36,563 posts, read 30,900,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Its well proven that children that get very early quality childcare do better in school. Their language and cognitive skills will be much better than those who dont get early intervention.
This is not the consensus I have found in the studies I have read. At this point is still hard to come to that conclusion although some studies indicate early daycare children have better scores there are many variables involved including the quality of childcare, high quality vs. mediocre quality, education levels of parents, income levels, family dynamics come into play. One would have to study identical households and identical facilities to come to a proven conclusion.
I read a study done in Finland comparing young children that stayed at home and those who went to daycare and there was no comparable differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2017, 01:08 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,958,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlettivy01 View Post
What is wrong with daycare
Would you trust someone with no professional certifications, such as a degree in early childhood education or any teacher education, or who has never studied developmental psychology (one of the basic courses in teacher education college programs) looking after your child? Do you think it's OK to have strangers caring for your several-month-old infant? Do you think it's OK for a toddler to be in a facility for longer than the average school day?

Old 05-19-2017, 01:19 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,192,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Would you trust someone with no professional certifications, such as a degree in early childhood education or any teacher education, or who has never studied developmental psychology (one of the basic courses in teacher education college programs) looking after your child? Do you think it's OK to have strangers caring for your several-month-old infant? Do you think it's OK for a toddler to be in a facility for longer than the average school day?
Most parents don't have any special training or education in education or psychology.

They aren't strangers once you get to know them.

Work days are long. And?

Old 05-19-2017, 01:20 PM

36,563 posts, read 30,900,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
LOL. I started babysitting when I was 11 years old. This was in the 70's.
When I had my children there were times when they were cared for by middle aged women in the community. Everyone turned out just fine.
Do you believe all parents should be required to hold a degree in early childhood education and developmental psychology or have relevant professional certifications in order to have children.

Old 05-20-2017, 01:06 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,256,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
This is not the consensus I have found in the studies I have read. At this point is still hard to come to that conclusion although some studies indicate early daycare children have better scores there are many variables involved including the quality of childcare, high quality vs. mediocre quality, education levels of parents, income levels, family dynamics come into play. One would have to study identical households and identical facilities to come to a proven conclusion.
I read a study done in Finland comparing young children that stayed at home and those who went to daycare and there was no comparable differences.
Can you link to the studies you have read?

Old 05-21-2017, 12:10 PM

2,872 posts, read 1,152,696 times
Free daycare? Two words: absolutely not.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:59 PM

10,117 posts, read 7,785,738 times
Heck no. That only encourages mothers to have more even if they can't afford the ones they have. We pay these poor people so much money out of our taxes that they think the more they have the more we take care of their stupid decisions to keep having them. I feel sorry for these babies. Make the mom's and baby daddies pay out of their pocket and maybe they will consider birth control when they bed down.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:26 PM

19 posts, read 10,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleinie View Post
Seems to me as if daycare should be one service that should be free and funded by the government. If they can spend billions on killing people that pose no threat to us, surely they could fund something that actually matters.

Free, meaning the teachers work for free and the building and expenses are donated? Otherwise someone has to pay.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:50 PM

13 posts, read 2,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Do you believe all parents should be required to hold a degree in early childhood education and developmental psychology or have relevant professional certifications in order to have children.
I certainly think it would be a good idea for all people to receive some education in these areas, yes.

The joke about "when am I ever going to use this algebra" is a stupid one. People should learn algebra because it develops critical thinking skills and allows those that are so inclined to succeed in more complicated mathematics. Most people won't directly use algebra (or trigonometry, or ...) but most people are taught it. Most people will have children, but most people are not taught basics about childhood development.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Heck no. That only encourages mothers to have more even if they can't afford the ones they have.
How does it do so?
The mother's don't get a bigger check, or more food stamps, or whatever so I wouldn't say they are encouraged to have more kids.
They're actually discouraged. More money for daycare programs would take away from other benefit programs.
Of course, most people don't think about things enough to understand that.

Most people here are making this a moral issue, when it really isn't.
It's an economic one.

Providing free daycare would have certain costs
Having access to free daycare would have certain benefits

I certainly can't speak with any certainty to which outweighs the other. I think there are a lot of benefits to such a program: better care for a number of children, more jobs, eased burden for single parents and low-income families which should leave to better opportunities and quality of life...
It would certainly be an expensive program.

Old 05-21-2017, 09:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,843,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
Heck no. That only encourages mothers to have more even if they can't afford the ones they have. We pay these poor people so much money out of our taxes that they think the more they have the more we take care of their stupid decisions to keep having them. I feel sorry for these babies. Make the mom's and baby daddies pay out of their pocket and maybe they will consider birth control when they bed down.
I don't think you've raised kids if you think that would be an incentive to have more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting