Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 08:11 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times

Advertisements

OMG, I guess all I can say is: to each his own, but I can't believe people are taking it this way. Kids and kids, I am sure her mom was horrified and talked to her later to explain it wasn't the smartest thing to say but she was a little kid for heavens sake. She was bored and just wanted to know when he would be finished. Maybe she could have asked in a different way, but if that is the worst thing she ever says, good for her. I have repeated the story to several people in our various groups in the last few days; everyone has laughed. Even our granddaughter with 3 little girls. She did say she would be mortified if one of them did that, but she also has a 5 year old and knows what can come out of their mouths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 11:14 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,727,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
OMG, I guess all I can say is: to each his own, but I can't believe people are taking it this way. Kids and kids, I am sure her mom was horrified and talked to her later to explain it wasn't the smartest thing to say but she was a little kid for heavens sake. She was bored and just wanted to know when he would be finished. Maybe she could have asked in a different way, but if that is the worst thing she ever says, good for her. I have repeated the story to several people in our various groups in the last few days; everyone has laughed. Even our granddaughter with 3 little girls. She did say she would be mortified if one of them did that, but she also has a 5 year old and knows what can come out of their mouths.
Agreed. Little children come out with all sorts of things, hence the expression, "out of the mouths of babes." Obviously it would be rude for a 10 year old or a 16 year old or a 42 year old to ask the same question, but when the child is 2-6 years old, that sort of thing is to be expected. When my son was 2 and I was nursing his baby sister, he commented to a rather busty cashier that she had a lot of milk for her baby. Thankfully, she seemed not to understand him, and I just quickly diverted his attention to something else... but really, he was 2 and had no idea that he was saying something rude. If he was 4 or 5, I'd have talked to him afterward about not making comments about women's breasts, and if he was 10 or 12, he'd have gotten in trouble for making such a comment. I don't know if the cashier would have laughed if she had understood him, but I would have if I were in her situation. Kids come up with all sorts of things. I'm assuming the parent of the child in the OP did tell her afterward that it's rude to say that, because that's how they learn, but their mistakes are often funny to others (many of which went through the same thing with their own children!).

Old 07-01-2017, 02:36 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
My mom told the story about me, I was probably 5 or so. I was her first so she was learning. She saw a neighbor hanging clothes on the clothes line on very cold weather, I live in MN. She said, probably more to herself, she must be crazy doing that. The next day I promptly went over to her house knocked on her door and told her mommy thinks she's crazy. Of course mom apologized to her, but was careful what she said aloud after that.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:57 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
My Mother could fill many books with the words that have flowed freely from the voice of my Brother and myself, as many other Mother's could do the same.
Children, the Elderly and someone under the influence of sedation, alcohol, drugs *legal or otherwise* are the most honest
humans on the planet. They either have no filter like children who are not old enough to have learned yet, the filter is completely gone because they are Elderly or the filter is diluted enough that it is not working properly.
I know for a fact that my already thin filter completely disappeared for the first few months after my stroke, fortunately thing are almost back to mostly appropriate filtering 22 months later but it was a struggle for a while to try and figure out what was actually appropriate and what wasn't. Thank goodness Mr. CSD helped me with that as well as finding the words I wanted to use and finishing my sentences when needed.

Nita, that is a cute story and I would have laughed as well, fortunately the speaker saw the humor in the words of a child.

Old 07-03-2017, 04:02 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,439,701 times
Quote:
So are you going to stop referring to Vietnam as "Nam" as if we are still at war?

Old 07-04-2017, 11:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
So are you going to stop referring to Vietnam as "Nam" as if we are still at war?
I am really not sure what this has to do with the story now why we are not to refer to the country as Nam. My brother was there during the war and he called it Nam as many others I have heard do. I guess to you it is like people referring to San Francisco as Frisco or people calling California Cali. Maybe I should learn to be more PC in your eyes. Sorry I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else. Will I stop calling it Nam? I have no idea.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:17 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,309,828 times
Quote:
I am really not sure what this has to do with the story now why we are not to refer to the country as Nam. My brother was there during the war and he called it Nam as many others I have heard do. I guess to you it is like people referring to San Francisco as Frisco or people calling California Cali. Maybe I should learn to be more PC in your eyes. Sorry I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else. Will I stop calling it Nam? I have no idea.
I wouldn't worry about calling Vietnam "nam". Just because it was shortened doesn't make it anymore of a insult then frisco or the o.c.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting