Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 06:18 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So I left this question for awhile, JRT, and you're not willing to answer it. You ARE able, but you don't want to say - even on an anonymous internet forum - what you're about to encourage your daughter to think.

I know what you're talking about, what you're thinking of her observations. White upperclass people can't say those things, because they're hurtful and divisive. So much so that you won't even write them on this forum.

So - please don't give your 14 year old daughter permission to expound on those thoughts and worse, to express them publicly. PC is there because there's no good that comes out of saying some things. Some observations that people of privilege believe about other people.

So. Word to the wise. If there's something you aren't willing to express here, don't encourage your daughter to express it, either.

Best wishes. It's hard, sometimes, parenting.
Brilliant!

Old 07-03-2017, 06:21 PM

252 posts, read 124,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
At what age do you explain to children the concept of political correctness? While we've allowed our youngest to remain in the land of make believe because of his age (8), our 14 year old is starting to discover that much of what she's been led to believe through both school and entertainment is BS. She understands that it's wrong to say the truth sometimes, but with a lot of subjects, she doesn't understand why it's wrong. At what age do you start really talking about this stuff?
I never lied to my kids to begin with. Period. I wanted to raise strong independent thinking children who could make sane decisions for themselves including politics wise and religion wise. It freaked my mother out but me and my wife are fine with it. Our oldest is interesting in witchcraft I cracked a joke to my mother if she had started sacrificing animals yet,she didn't find it very funny. She seems past it now...back into the manga phase.

Edit

I just saw this turned into a race thing. My children have attended majority non white schools and now majority white schools,been around non whites in majority non white towns/cities etc so there is no need to tell my kids anything. They have their feelings and if they want we discuss them. We never told them or taught them to be ashamed of being white or to bow down to anyone because they are of a certain race and they should feel sorry for them etc. No way. Kids amaze me at the observations they make all by themselves without any adult prompting or intervention.

Last edited by DeplorablePopulist; 07-03-2017 at 06:33 PM..

Old 07-03-2017, 08:04 PM

564 posts, read 449,194 times
Quote:
At what age do you explain to children the concept of political correctness?
You mean the evils of it? How it stifles not only speech, but aims to control critical thinking? Shouldn't be difficult to do over time.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:09 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,057,141 times
You don't, political correctness is a liberal fallacy. Believe and speak what you believe. Just because your ideas and thoughts are different does not make them wrong. Do not follow the crowd. Do not drink the Kool-aid !

Old 07-03-2017, 08:10 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,353,101 times
if you're daughter is not aware of "culture and poverty" by the time she's 14, something's wrong. Again, you should encourage children from the start to be kind to others no matter their circumstances.

Old 07-03-2017, 08:29 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 10 days ago)

35,635 posts, read 17,982,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
if you're daughter is not aware of "culture and poverty" by the time she's 14, something's wrong. Again, you should encourage children from the start to be kind to others no matter their circumstances.
Yes. Great thoughts.

Old 07-03-2017, 09:36 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Are you asking for permission to teach your child to be a racist? Then try to flip it on people by implying you're being persecuted by political correctness. Think what you want but don't expect everyone will agree with you and don't go around crying when they don't. Most people don't support any of the "-isms."

Old 07-04-2017, 03:53 AM

1,133 posts, read 1,350,896 times
No worries; the world will teach her all she needs to learn, the moment her feet hit the pavement, and she'll either learn how to navigate through the maelstrom...or she won't. There's not much else you can do, once she's caught-up in it, but hope & pray for the best.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:54 AM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,966 times
Quote:
No, not manners.

She knows why it's not OK to say certain things. She's at that age where she's starting to question why it's not ok to think certain things. She spent her first 8 years of school in Atlanta and has developed some pretty strong feelings in regards to race issues. While her feelings are based on experience, she's had it ground into her head that you're not allowed to think that way basically.

Do we really start explaining things like culture and poverty to a middle school kid?
What things are people not allowed to think? I have never heard of anyone telling someone else that they aren't allowed to think certain things. You can teach (or try to teach) people not to say things that are rude or impolite, but you can't control someone else's thoughts, nor should you.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:29 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
The OP is saying their kid (and likely themselves) have racist feelings and when/what age do you tell your child not to say those racist things outloud.

This is a thread that ought to be locked asap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting