Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2018, 05:44 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,193 times

Advertisements

If your infant had an egg allergy, what symptoms did they have and did they outgrow it?
Did they have a flu shot as an infant (before or after the egg allergy was known)?
Did they also have a milk or have a peanut allergy?

Any other info appreciated.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2018, 05:57 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Responding for husband's niece and nephew, who were both allergic to eggs:

The older child had an allergic (anaphylactic) reaction to eggs at the age of 12 months. The younger child was tested before he was ever given eggs.

They had both outgrown the allergy by about the age of ~14. They can now eat any amount of eggs with no ill effects (they are 15 and 17).

No flu shots.

No milk allergy. They both have peanut and tree nut allergies which they have NOT outgrown.

I strongly recommend looking into immunotherapy for these food allergies. My understanding is that it is a big commitment to go through the treatment, but that very often the allergies can be totally eliminated or at least greatly reduced at an early age.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:37 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,878,567 times
As a person with allergies, with siblings and kids with allergies, I would consult a ped allergist ASAP.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:39 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,861,727 times
There are some really good food allergy groups on Facebook, if you haven't already found them.

Old 01-15-2018, 07:03 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,233,915 times
Those with egg allergy can take flu vaccine.

Flu shot safe for people with egg allergies, guidelines say - CNN

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/protect/vacc...-allergies.htm

Old 01-15-2018, 07:21 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
As a person with allergies, with siblings and kids with allergies, I would consult a ped allergist ASAP.
The event just happened today. I spoke with my pediatrician and yes, I am calling an allergist tomorrow for an appt. I am not sure if the allergic response was high risk/severe for a few reasons, it could have been or could not have been but various things are making me unsure.

I am also very concerned about what if this means a higher chance of a peanut allergy going forward (we have not tried peanuts or nuts yet).

Old 01-16-2018, 12:56 PM

1,326 posts, read 1,137,876 times
I am allergic to egg yolk. I will not out grow it. My niece was allergic also. She grew out of it after a few years.

We both have milk intolerance. I don't drink milk but I will cook with it. She drinks soy or nut milks.

I'm allergic to all nut's. My doctor say's I may grow out of it one day. I'm still waiting.

I have to carry an Epi, which I have used on more than one occasion.

I went into anaphylactic shock, in the hospital, when I had a CT scan. Apparently I am allergic to iodine. That explains why certain other foods make me sick even though I am not technically allergic to them.

Old 01-16-2018, 02:50 PM

20,366 posts, read 14,640,743 times
My youngest had a mild egg allergy as an infant. His face would flush and he'd get a rash on his cheeks, and if he handled egg, his hands also would redden, and if he ate egg, he would usually throw up. No flu shots (wasn't so much of a thing back then) and he never had any other significant allergies that we've ever known of. He outgrew the egg allergy pretty fast, I'd say by age 5 or so? I can't remember for sure. It was just an early childhood thing for him, though.

Old 01-16-2018, 06:45 PM

560 posts, read 539,689 times
My youngest son has an egg allergy, but at the time of the first incident which was red blotchy skin with hives around 8 months old. He was tested for it along with others like peanuts, all nuts, wheat, all kind of foods around 1 year old and turns out he had an allergy to PB, wheat, all shellfish and eggs.

We see his allergist every 6 months and his list has changed to all nuts, eggs, and PB as a 3.5 year old, and is due for his bi annual appointment soon as a 4 year old. We doubt he'll outgrow his PB ever, maybe some of his other nuts...and the egg is still questionable. Gonna do egg challenge test as I told her he doesn't react to baked cakes, muffins, anything that has eggs baked. But still reacts if touches raw batter, or eat egg like scrambled, French toast, fried or boiled.

definitely look for a well regarded progressive allergist.

Old 01-17-2018, 09:40 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,245,642 times
Yes, she would react with eczema whenever she consumed something with egg in. She was also allergic to milk (and soya and citrus fruits), she outgrew them all some time between 3 and 4 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting