Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 09:32 AM

29,514 posts, read 22,641,616 times

Advertisements

Good points.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/used...200027513.html

Quote:
People judge, I get it. What I don't understand is the unwillingness of people to accept that parents might actually know what's best for their children. People might want a leash for a strong-willed runner, a kid with a learning disability who needs extra support, or to protect against stranger-danger. If a person doesn't want to use a leash, that is totally an acceptable policy and I'm glad they've never felt the need. As the parent of a former runner, I'm so glad that there was a tool that allowed me to parent him with confidence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 09:37 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,949,625 times
My mom used a harness on my oldest brother way back in the 1960's. It's called being a responsible parent and keeping track of your kids. My other brother was born the month after the oldest one turned 2, so having a harness was a necessity.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:40 AM

14,303 posts, read 11,692,440 times
I can judge with the best (worst) of them, but I have never understood why judging parents who put a leash on their toddler is a thing. In a crowded, chaotic environment like an airport or theme park, parents of little kids need all the help they can get. I never used a leash because I didn't have runners/special needs kids/etc., but if I had thought it would be helpful, I would have done so in a millisecond, and the judgers be d*mned.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:41 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
I rarely used a leash. But for crowded situations, I would. Like...we're at the zoo. I've got a 4 yr. old, and a 2 yr. old, and the zoo is crowded, and I can't very well wrestle with both at the same time.

Could've used a stroller I guess (for the 2 yr. old) but the boy wants to roam.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:46 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,676,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I can judge with the best (worst) of them, but I have never understood why judging parents who put a leash on their toddler is a thing. In a crowded, chaotic environment like an airport or theme park, parents of little kids need all the help they can get. I never used a leash because I didn't have runners/special needs kids/etc., but if I had thought it would be helpful, I would have done so in a millisecond, and the judgers be d*mned.
I agree. I call it being smart and responsible. I was harnessed as a kid back in the 60s, and when I had kids I bought these things that velcroed around my wrist and the child's wrist.
A quick Google check showed me that several companies now make the wrist things:
https://www.amazon.com/Wrist-Safety-.../dp/B01N2G22HB

Old 05-31-2018, 10:01 AM

5,847 posts, read 6,183,656 times
I used to judge a lot more before I had kids as well.

Regarding this particular issue, I know it comes up from time to time on this forum, and I remember a very well articulated and convincing description from someone whose child was autistic and how the harness was integral for her child's safety. It really hit home with me about the entire judge not, that ye not be judged thing.

Last edited by Texas Ag 93; 05-31-2018 at 11:15 AM..

Old 05-31-2018, 01:37 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,780,693 times
I have to say, I have not seen parents putting their kids on a leash in a few years. it looks like that trend has disappeared for the moment, at least where I live.

As I recall, the pro-leashers say leashing is the safer way to parent...which is fine I just hope they never make a law mandating that we leash children.

Old 05-31-2018, 01:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Ag 93 View Post
I used to judge a lot more before I had kids as well.

Regarding this particular issue, I know it comes up from time to time on this forum, and I remember a very well articulated and convincing description from someone whose child was autistic and how the harness was integral for her child's safety. It really hit home with me about the entire judge not, that ye not be judged thing.
Didn't we all? You just don't know what you're going to do until you're in the situation yourself.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:01 PM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Didn't we all? You just don't know what you're going to do until you're in the situation yourself.
I was pretty much an expert on raising children until I actually had them.

Old 05-31-2018, 02:11 PM

1,299 posts, read 822,984 times
I once derailed a discussion on this by saying "at least my kid wasn't in a stroller until she was 6". I said that on purpose, knowing it would get a different group up in arms. People who had been saying how leashes were awful and treating your child like a dog started defending having their kid in a stroller until elementary school, because it was "safer". They completely missed the point that every does little things like that differently, and got seriously defensive.

I was really surprised at that time (new to the internet, 20 years ago) at how crazy some people get about other people's non-life-threatening parenting choices. Now notsomuch. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting