Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2018, 09:41 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
+1
OP seems to not really know them, yet knows the dad's criminal record and sees pictures of them on Facebook? Is he Facebook friends with them?
You can google a name and find out pretty much everything about them, especially if they have a record. Also, many peoples fb are open for public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 04:23 AM

3 posts, read 3,661 times
I know the family that rents there very well and know their history. I’m their neighbor after all and see and hear everything that happens when I’m home. They’re not very discreet about it. Their father was already charged with rape but is somehow still in the situation. Amongst drinking and driving striking out vehicles etc. I know these things because I see them. Seeing this picture was kind of my breaking point. I’m sick of it

Old 06-19-2018, 06:49 AM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parentologist View Post
Call child protective services. You can also send an anonymous letter to your local housing authority, letting them know that there are many extra occupants crowded into the unit.

The next time you hear abusive noise coming from the unit, call the police.
^^^ This ^^^

Contact CPS and tell them what you've told us. Do it in person if the phone calls aren't working. Do not give them your name as CPS employees are sometimes not as protective of your information as one would hope. Ask for a welfare check.

Not sure what contacting the Section 8 folks will do besides getting the whole lot of them evicted.

The next time you hear hollering and carrying on, contact the police and ask for a welfare check as you suspect there are assaults in progress.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:28 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,051,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrando1994 View Post
Hello all,

I am a 24 year old male who has little experience with kids or raising them. I do however know a problem when I see one and I feel as if the safety and well-being of kids being raised in my neighbors house is at stake.

I have on numerous occasions suspected abuse from both their parents, excessive yelling, screaming, crying can be heard from two doors away (row houses). It is a section 8 residence and both parents and the kids are not supposed to be in there, they know the person who is and are staying there under the radar.

With this I have countless times tried to contact people to no avail, nothing has been done and the kids' father also has a lengthy criminal history.

What spiked my interest today is seeing an image on facebook of all of them, in a vehicle, in my opinion displaying gross neglect for their children's safety. One of the kids (age 2) is sitting in the center rear seat, facing forward, without a car seat, booster seat, or even a seat belt on! I can just picture having to stop fast and the poor kid getting shot out of the windshield! It terrifies me even though I never had a kid.

The other child (age 4) was sitting in another rear seat with a seat belt on, but no booster seat so the seat belt is literally wrapped around the kids chin like a strap since he isn't tall enough (4'11" if I'm correct?) to ride without a seat.

Their mother is sitting in the third rear seat with no belt and the father is sitting in the cargo area (SUV) facing rearwards with no seat belt and not even in a seat. The renter of the dwelling (who's letting them stay there) is in the front seat taking the photo, and her boyfriend is driving.

Can someone tell me where I can send this photograph to potentially save these kids from the abuse and neglect they're going through on a daily basis?

Note: this is not just a one time thing, this has been ongoing and this image to me is a potential way to get it exposed.

Thanks for the time and any help you all can offer!
Cool story, bro.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:35 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,288,829 times
People like OP express concern, and people jump all over them. But when something happens, when a story of abuse or neglect becomes public (Turpin, Hart), the question is: Why didn't someone say something?

Old 06-19-2018, 10:59 AM

171 posts, read 145,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrando1994 View Post
I know the family that rents there very well and know their history. I’m their neighbor after all and see and hear everything that happens when I’m home. They’re not very discreet about it. Their father was already charged with rape but is somehow still in the situation. Amongst drinking and driving striking out vehicles etc. I know these things because I see them. Seeing this picture was kind of my breaking point. I’m sick of it
But still..... If your concerned about the children's safety do you feel its worth while to report them for living in a home they "shouldn't" be in?

And are you seeing the children being abused? It sounds like the parents are just ghetto, but as far as the children's well being idk.

The only reason I ask this is because its a difference between, just not liking your neighbors because their ratchet vs. accusing them of neglecting or abusing their children. Alot of the things you have noted sound like simply a call to the police will be able to take care of, when it comes to loud noise, and kids not being in safety belts and car seats.

But as far as contacting housing authority and CPS, be mindful of what you do because you could possibly be doing more harm than good. I personally know what a abused child looks like, dont misinterpret bad parenting with abuse

Old 06-19-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
You can google a name and find out pretty much everything about them, especially if they have a record. Also, many peoples fb are open for public.
Stalker behavior

Old 06-19-2018, 12:06 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen9189 View Post
Stalker behavior
Looking at somebody's fb page is stalking?

Old 06-19-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Looking at somebody's fb page is stalking?
Yes. If I dont care for my neighbor why would I take time to find their Facebook page, Thats called trolling.

Old 06-19-2018, 04:41 PM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen9189 View Post
Yes. If I dont care for my neighbor why would I take time to find their Facebook page, Thats called trolling.
Not if you are trying to find out background because you suspect child abuse. You might well try looking up info on them before you call police or children's services. Though it is important that he does call and keep on calling till something is done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting