Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2018, 04:51 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times

Advertisements

There was a recent news story about a teenage girl who was pushed off a high bridge into the river below by her "friend", and was badly injured by the fall. I don't really think that you can blame the friend. The victim has said that she was not sure if she was going to jump or not, even though she had already illegally climbed over the rail/barrier, standing on the ledge the illegal jumpers used. But she had already done part of the illegal prep for jumping, and I don't think her friend knew how dangerous a jump or even a fall into the water could potentially be. In other words, I think both girls were in the wrong.

But what would do you think about those who jump from a safer distance? I once saw a mother encouraging her pre-teen son to do this at a city park illegally. The footbridge had a clearly posted NO JUMPING sign. I'm sure the mother just wanted her son to have fun. I'm sure he was going to be safe. But it offended me due to the fact that it was clearly illegal. Her giving him the okay meant that he could do it if he wanted and she would accept any blame if they were caught. I almost said something to her as I was passing by them, but I didn't want to ruin their fun.

How would you react to a parent encouraging their child to do a safe but illegal activity like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 08:07 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
The "No Jumping" sign is there for a reason. Maybe the water is only 6 inches deep, and someone not prepared for the shallowness might not position themselves properly and hurt their knees on landing. Maybe there are alligators in the water. Maybe the park ran their power cables through the water and anyone touching it would get electrocuted. Or maybe, just maybe, they didn't want their bridge to be used as a thrill-seekers venue.

None of that really matters. The fact is, jumping was prohibited at that location, and that mother was doing her son a grave disservice: teaching him that the rules don't apply to him. If he grows up with that attitude, no good can come of it.

The mother should have said "Sorry son, but we're not allowed to jump here. Let's go over to the playground and you can jump there." But instead, she helped instill the entitlement mentality in the boy.

Old 08-16-2018, 08:25 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,195,051 times
The friend pushed her,and she is responsible for making that choice.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
The friend pushed her,and she is responsible for making that choice.
Maybe she didn't know there was any danger of falling into the water. Kids are always pushing each other into the water. The first girl has to take most of the responsibility for stepping out onto the ledge illegally.

Old 08-17-2018, 03:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
The "No Jumping" sign is there for a reason. Maybe the water is only 6 inches deep, and someone not prepared for the shallowness might not position themselves properly and hurt their knees on landing. Maybe there are alligators in the water. Maybe the park ran their power cables through the water and anyone touching it would get electrocuted. Or maybe, just maybe, they didn't want their bridge to be used as a thrill-seekers venue.

None of that really matters. The fact is, jumping was prohibited at that location, and that mother was doing her son a grave disservice: teaching him that the rules don't apply to him. If he grows up with that attitude, no good can come of it.

The mother should have said "Sorry son, but we're not allowed to jump here. Let's go over to the playground and you can jump there." But instead, she helped instill the entitlement mentality in the boy.
This was a part of the river where people went swimming and tubing. There might have been another kind of danger but I don't know what. Maybe the park didn't want the tubers always worrying about that, and so it could be that the mother and son both saw an opportunity where there was no one around that would be bothered by a jumper.

Old 08-17-2018, 02:06 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
This was a part of the river where people went swimming and tubing. There might have been another kind of danger but I don't know what. Maybe the park didn't want the tubers always worrying about that, and so it could be that the mother and son both saw an opportunity where there was no one around that would be bothered by a jumper.
Still doesn't matter. Just because people do something illegal doesn't make it OK for someone else. Someone at some point for some reason decided that jumping off this bridge was a bad idea. Maybe the water depth changes frequently and no one could easily tell if or when jumping might be safe. If the water is too low, jumpers hit bottom and break their little necks. If the water is too high, they get sucked down by whirlpool currents and drown. The water level may change without notice if there's a dam upstream with unscheduled releases. Maybe there are only a few spots where there aren't submerged rocks below. Maybe permitting jumpers creates a traffic jam on the bridge and pedestrians get hit by cars while watching them. Maybe the owner of the bridge didn't want to be liable for an idiot's bad decision. Maybe they don't want the grieving parents who encouraged their little dead darling to defy the rule to sue despite THEIR negligence.

There are dozens of reasons why jumping off a bridge is a bad idea. I guess there are lots of things in this world just not worth all this speculation. If I post a sign telling you not to climb my fence and walk into a field because the Angus bull in that field is dangerous, I'd suggest you listen. If you decide to ignore the sign, walk into that field, or push someone else into that field and get trampled, great. Just don't whine to me about it afterward or expect me to sympathize much.

Not that hard is it?

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-17-2018 at 02:26 PM..

Old 08-17-2018, 02:20 PM

6,300 posts, read 4,195,051 times
Quote:
Maybe she didn't know there was any danger of falling into the water. Kids are always pushing each other into the water. The first girl has to take most of the responsibility for stepping out onto the ledge illegally.
You don’t push someone off a bridge.

The woman who pushed her friend off the bridge is being charged
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-charged.html

Last edited by Spuggy; 08-17-2018 at 03:09 PM..

Old 08-17-2018, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Still doesn't matter. Just because people do something illegal doesn't make it OK for someone else. Someone at some point for some reason decided that jumping off this bridge was a bad idea. Maybe the water depth changes frequently and no one could easily tell if or when jumping might be safe. If the water is too low, jumpers hit bottom and break their little necks. If the water is too high, they get sucked down by whirlpool currents and drown. The water level may change without notice if there's a dam upstream with unscheduled releases. Maybe there are only a few spots where there aren't submerged rocks below. Maybe permitting jumpers creates a traffic jam on the bridge and pedestrians get hit by cars while watching them. Maybe the owner of the bridge didn't want to be liable for an idiot's bad decision. Maybe they don't want the grieving parents who encouraged their little dead darling to defy the rule to sue despite THEIR negligence.

There are dozens of reasons why jumping off a bridge is a bad idea. I guess there are lots of things in this world just not worth all this speculation. If I post a sign telling you not to climb my fence and walk into a field because the Angus bull in that field is dangerous, I'd suggest you listen. If you decide to ignore the sign, walk into that field, or push someone else into that field and get trampled, great. Just don't whine to me about it afterward or expect me to sympathize much.

Not that hard is it?
I agree with you. I don't think people even need to know the reasons, they should just obey the laws.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
You don’t push someone off a bridge.

The woman who pushed her friend off the bridge is being charged
Girl who pushed her friend off a bridge is charged | Daily Mail Online
They are both guilty.

Old 08-17-2018, 04:35 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
They are both guilty.
Guilty of what? One guilty of going on the ledge...whether she really intended to jump we don't know but that is irrelevant since she did NOT. The "friend" is more guilty. Anyway, isn't your question specific to parents and this doesn't even fit that. I'm sure many fewer parents encourage this than teenage peers. Or in this case a girl who was chicken to do it herself so decided to live vicariously and will hopefully get the punishment she deserves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting