Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 04:53 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
I've heard (and read) that one of the culprits is over-large and ultra-absorbent diapers available nowadays. The kid doesn't feel any discomfort wearing one of these "crotch boats," so they don't think they need the toilet.
Mega-diapers are horrible to even visualize.
Some wise parents of my acquaintance tell their kids, "One of the best things about being potty-trained is you get invited to parties!" That has motivated more than one kid.
I have heard that cloth diaper babies get trained sooner, because they are more uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2018, 05:54 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I have heard that cloth diaper babies get trained sooner, because they are more uncomfortable.
And because washing and drying diapers is more of a hassle than just throwing them away, so the parents are also more motivated.

Old 09-15-2018, 06:22 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:
I didn’t find that to ring true with any of my children. Probably because they’re accustomed to the feeling of a wet diaper.

Old 09-15-2018, 07:18 PM

2,068 posts, read 999,218 times
My 3 year old son had no interest in potty training. Neither did a friend's 3 year old.
We both found something that our son's wanted to do that they could not do with a diaper.

I used to go to Saturday night car races at my local dirt track. One Saturday, my son wanted to go, too. I told him he couldn't go because the track had no facility to change diapers. A couple of weekends later, he accompanied me to his first race.

My friend's lure was a historic gun and weapon show.

Old 09-15-2018, 08:36 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post
My 3 year old son had no interest in potty training. Neither did a friend's 3 year old.
We both found something that our son's wanted to do that they could not do with a diaper.

I used to go to Saturday night car races at my local dirt track. One Saturday, my son wanted to go, too. I told him he couldn't go because the track had no facility to change diapers. A couple of weekends later, he accompanied me to his first race.

Years and years ago, my childrens day care center would not move three year old children out of the boring two year old class with boring two year old activities until they were out of diapers. The teachers really emphasized all the fun things going on in the "big boy/big girl" room (to the three year olds who weren't yet trained) to encourage them. I doubt that day care centers still have that rule.

Old 09-15-2018, 10:23 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
Quote:
I had heard that too. However, my boys were both cloth diapered and they trained later than my daughter who mostly wasn't (cloth diapered).

So in our case at least, the theory didn't hold.

Old 09-16-2018, 04:34 AM

9,196 posts, read 7,232,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacInTx View Post

Yes! I think that if they aren’t showing interest on their own accord, it may be necessary to create an incentive or find their “currency”. Especially once they get to that stage where they are most reluctant to do anything new. Of course, my incentive was “You can change your own damn diapers from now on” which culminated in a fib: “They don’t make diapers in your size, so you have to where underwear”, but my kids we’re little curmudgeons.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:37 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,322,930 times
A lot of later issues throughout life are believed to be linked to potty training. I always tried not to make a big deal about it. My oldest wasn't even 2 and got the hang of it pretty much on his own. My youngest grew too fast for his bladder and wore pull ups at night for a LONG time.
I believe sister getting the diaper attention has something to do with your kiddo's issue.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:40 AM

830 posts, read 744,402 times
I feel like this is largely a parenting issue or trend. *Minus special needs of course.

Which bizarre as it seems to me, they're the ones changing diapers.

My first potty trained in 3 days at 18 months with the naked method, and a potty training the loving way book, and a sticker chart.

#2 is 18 months and we'll be starting in about 3 weeks and have been preparing him for months.

He can make noises for #1 & #2, pull his pull up down, find the potty, sit on it, goes dry for 3-4 hours...

I'll still put him in a night time pull up until he's definitely for a month... probably around 2.5.

For the car, I get a portable potty. Then we put toddler potties in all the bathrooms. We read potty books.

Meanwhile, my SIL is due with baby #3 and her 4 year old is barely potty training. They literally put her in a pull up, then yell at her when she uses it. Absolutely illogical.

But, I don't enjoy changing diapers. I'd rather wash out the potty with a diaper sprayer.

Some people don't appear bothered, which is fine for them! Just not my vision.

Old 09-16-2018, 12:17 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
I had a roommate who had a 4 year old and she was still in diapers....I met them 2 years later, she was wearing normal clothing, I wonder what he did to get her to learn...She was a fetal alcohol syndrome baby..

My Niece was in diapers till 3.5 years...That alone caused a rift with the neighbors who "Knew Better" they spoke to my Mother who told them flat out "MYOB" they quit talking for 1 year....Yay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting