Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 10:20 AM

661 posts, read 881,340 times

Advertisements

The Judge should step down...!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 11:11 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
You know how ridiculous that is. If I am in the hospital that’s not willing. Jury duty is not an emergency. I have been called every three years like clockwork since I turned 18. I have always been happy to serve, with the exception of one time when my children were very young and I couldn’t afford childcare.

It’s your civic duty, unless it’s a hardship. Even the courts tell you that if the trial is going to last long.
I thought you said the judge you requested exempt you on the basis of not being able to afford childcare told you no. Obviously, she didn't agree with you that it was ridiculous.

Did you end up serving and figure out a way to have your children cared for without going hungry or homeless? How did that end up?

Old 12-10-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Look, whether it's fair or not, stay at home parents can and do get excused from jury duty. There are some stay at home parents who do volunteer for jury duty though, even if it means putting their kids in daycare. But I can't blame a parent for not wanting to put their newborn baby into a daycare situation for something like jury duty.
Its not about fairness. If they are allowed to be exempted for child care or any other reason in a given state, that's fine.

I'm guessing this is not an allowed exemption in this county or she wouldn't have been seated on the jury.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Surprising that nobody here has thought to look up the judge. He's well known for being a flaming *******.
Also, interesting that the story neglected to report there is free childcare available at the courthouse.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:47 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,953,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahsez View Post

As I sat there and could overhear people coming in and going through the check-in process, I realized many people do not follow simple directions. There were people who took the time to come in who could have simply have checked the exemption box and have avoided the whole mess.
I was called for trial jury back in October. Before they started the actual selection/vetting process, they read off to us the details of the case. It was a rape case where the victim had been held and raped at knifepoint in the apartment of the rapist. It was after they did that that they asked who wanted to be excused from selection (like maybe they were a rape victim themselves). We were all seated in the back of the courtroom and couldn't hear what anyone said to the judge.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:31 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
It's about how the judge treated her in the process. [...]
There is no excuse for the judge's rudeness toward her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I don't think judges are in court to be polite and caring to the hundreds of jurors they have to interview to get a jury seated.
A lot of people are idiots with no notion of courtroom etiquette and protocol. When I was called for federal jury service, during voir dire one of the candidates just got up and headed out of the room because she had to go to the bathroom. Neither young nor particularly stupid-looking, just clueless.

I'm sure judges get tired of it, as tired as of the Law & Order experts.

This woman had plenty of opportunities to opt out or discuss the matter before things reached this point, but her Ph.D. program apparently didn't include enough common sense or literacy classes.

Old 12-10-2018, 02:32 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,490,288 times
I was called last year and after maybe 3 hours of all of us waiting, the judge came out and excused all of us. SHe apologise for taking important time out of our lives and appreciated us being there.

Old 12-10-2018, 03:17 PM

4,992 posts, read 5,292,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I was called for trial jury back in October. Before they started the actual selection/vetting process, they read off to us the details of the case. It was a rape case where the victim had been held and raped at knifepoint in the apartment of the rapist. It was after they did that that they asked who wanted to be excused from selection (like maybe they were a rape victim themselves). We were all seated in the back of the courtroom and couldn't hear what anyone said to the judge.
This was before the judge. It was at check-in where you hand them your piece of paper with your name and bar code. People were asking for exemptions at that time. I guess it was a bailiff who told us during instructions that we could ask for additional exemptions from the judge, but just meant we had to come back in 60-90 days? Why waste another day coming back? Fill out the paper in advance and take your exemption then if allowed. Call or email in to ask for a postponement if the original assigned day doesn't work. I only knew what the guy beside me had because he asked a question while we were seated.

Old 12-10-2018, 11:08 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I was always able to opt out by checking a box on the form stating I was the sole caretaker of another person, but that varies from place to place.
I get called every year, as do most people in my area. That's just how our system works because I think something like 70% of people summoned just ignore it and fail to appear. Officials resist imposing any consequences because of the high number of poor minority people in a the area and they don't want to burden them with fines and bench warrants. The other 30% can set our watch to our jury summons each year.

I was going to say, I've never heard of anyone getting slammed who just tossed out the summons and didn't show. But once you do show you are in the judge's immediate reach and subject to his will.

Old 12-11-2018, 06:13 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coschristi View Post
Me either; I wish I could serve.

And I just read that the database is compiled of both. Wouldn’t that still result in a lack of representation from more marginalized populations (socio-economic status)? Given the statistical evidence that a large % of defendants also come from marginalized populations; are they really receiving a trial by a jury of their peers?
They also use the post office "change of address" database. If you submit one of those cards to get your mail forwarded when you move, then you're on the list too. Seems like I always got a summons within a few months of moving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting