Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2018, 12:42 PM

880 posts, read 532,327 times

Advertisements

How do you tackle gifts from santa in your split household. Do you get your own (so the kids end up getting two gifts from santa)? do you get one and split the cost? This is my first year as a single parent and Im not sure how to approach it. I was thinking about just having stockings at my place since money is super tight this year. Santa was always the big gift giver when we were one household. One year it was a Disney cruise, last year was Ipads. I know the ex will still spoil them with a big gift. I feel guilty that i cant give them something big this year, i am lucky to have very well behaved kids that never demand anything, Christmas and birthdays has always been the only time they would get a little spoiled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 01:51 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,966,647 times
Christmas is for spoiling. And "two Christmases" is the best part of divorce for kids. (I'm kidding!!!! )

Are you and your ex able to discuss this? My ex and I wanted to avoid overlap, so we basically divided up the lists.

Are you both seeing the kids ON Xmas Day? I would let Santa come wherever they will wake up. And just because Santa brought the big-ticket items in the past doesn't mean that in the future when things are better for you that you can't give them big gifts.

Maybe focus on experiences this year where you can do things or visit cool places that don't cost a ton of $$.

Now is the time to make new traditions.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:18 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,156,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellybelly83 View Post
How do you tackle gifts from santa in your split household. Do you get your own (so the kids end up getting two gifts from santa)? do you get one and split the cost? This is my first year as a single parent and Im not sure how to approach it. I was thinking about just having stockings at my place since money is super tight this year. Santa was always the big gift giver when we were one household. One year it was a Disney cruise, last year was Ipads. I know the ex will still spoil them with a big gift. I feel guilty that i cant give them something big this year, i am lucky to have very well behaved kids that never demand anything, Christmas and birthdays has always been the only time they would get a little spoiled.
My wife's parents were divorced early in her life. Both parents agreed to continue christmas gift giving together. They both agreed to gifts and Santa always came to the house where they woke up, which changed each year. Her older brother already did not believe when they were divorced, but her and her younger brother had no change. Wherever they woke up, Santa went, and that contributed to the magic of Santa. He knew where to find them.

This only works with parents who can work together on it, but it was special. They had a better relationship post marriage than during it. They are still very closely involved with their children and grandchildren.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:54 AM

880 posts, read 532,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
My wife's parents were divorced early in her life. Both parents agreed to continue christmas gift giving together. They both agreed to gifts and Santa always came to the house where they woke up, which changed each year. Her older brother already did not believe when they were divorced, but her and her younger brother had no change. Wherever they woke up, Santa went, and that contributed to the magic of Santa. He knew where to find them.

This only works with parents who can work together on it, but it was special. They had a better relationship post marriage than during it. They are still very closely involved with their children and grandchildren.
This was how we discussed things when we were divorcing, i talked about driving over at 5am this year so i could be there to watch them opened gifts from Santa. Unfortunately he remarried straight after our divorce and new wife doesn't like our relationship so he's been distancing himself to keep her happy. Im glad your wifes parents were able to put their issues aside for the kids on Christmas, I remain hopeful that the ex and i can get there too.

Old 12-18-2018, 04:30 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,181,169 times
This is something I never thought about. I vote for the Santa gift being wherever the child wakes up that morning, or whatever enables you to make it as close to the way it was before the divorce.

Old 12-19-2018, 07:14 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,785,266 times
Ellybelly, give the kids a lot of love and fun and little gifts, and they'll be happy. It doesn't have to take a lot of money.

Old 12-19-2018, 08:31 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
Have some Santa presents at the house of whoever gets them second. Leave a note in big letters "Dear ____ and ____. After I left your house I noticed I forgot to leave all your presents so your mom (or dad) said I could leave them at their house. Merry Christmas!" Friend of mine did that and the kids had to show all their friends the letter they got from Santa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting