Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2018, 10:50 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,981,496 times

Advertisements

So I’ve noticed a trend in the recent years where when a kid does something wrong the parent records their punishment and posts it online.

I’m going to go ahead and get it out of the way and say I’m horrified and bewildered all at the same time.

Most recently I’ve seen two videos, both kids who got kicked off the bus for bullying and had to walk or job to school.

Now I’m all for disciplining a child when it’s called for but I am extremely against picking up the phone to record it for the intent of putting it online.

The world is an ugly place and it sets children up to be ridiculed by their peer. It puts them in an even worse situation.

Another example that stands out is a mom from Texas who’s daughter was getting into trouble and she found a burner phone with a burner snap account etc and posted to the secret Snapchat account and the girls friends made the video go viral.

She’s now getting death threats, she almost had to be pulled from school, the school had to step in because this girls life was now hell at school.

Typical teenager things too. Boys, weed, alcohol. No reason for it to get where it went.
Her daughter is now going to be a target for her two remaining years in high school, she’s going to be ostracized. This will make her a social pariah.

What do you guys think about people do this?

Family business stays at home in my opinion.
I think it’s pretty white trash to air that kind of thing so publicly.
Also if older people can tell younger people that they can do things in life without using a cell phone then I feel safe telling older people that they can parent without filming it and putting it online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2018, 11:19 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,910,532 times
Horrible parents are nothing new. They just have a wider audience these days.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:15 AM

4,865 posts, read 4,191,089 times
They also broadcast every good thing they do. Including mundane things like learning to use the toilet or spoon. It's simply the social media age.

Old 12-12-2018, 06:16 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,208,477 times
I think it is a BAD IDEA. Mostly because while a child must face the consequences of their actions, as does any person, it can and should be done without destroying trust.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:50 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,125,958 times
I don't disagree with the punishment, but I wouldn't humiliate my child for enjoyment. I post PLENTY on social media - photos, videos and funny things my son has said or did. I don't judge that. But I've never understood recording a child in distress. Even toddlers/preschoolers sobbing or throwing tantrums - it doesn't matter if it's a silly reason they're upset. Put the phone down and either ignore the tantrum or console them, but at any age it seems incredibly cruel to hold your phone in their face while they're breaking down. And doing this to teenagers is terrible. If another teen posted embarrassing video of yours online you would call it bullying, but it's somehow okay for a parent to do it??

Old 01-03-2019, 01:05 PM

1,843 posts, read 3,062,352 times
It's the world we live in today. People pull out their phones and record instead of helping one in need. It's a sad, sad thing. I have a 15 month old and my husband and I try to limit how many videos/photos we post. People complain to us all the time and ask us if something is wrong...isn't it sad that people assume something is wrong with our daughter simply because we try to keep her face off the internet?

Old 01-03-2019, 01:32 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,738,514 times
Stupid people and bad parents don't disappear; they just adapt their idiocy to the tools available. In this case, the tool is social media.

Old 01-03-2019, 02:04 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,208,477 times
I am against talking about your kids in any way that you would not talk about anyone else on social media or anywhere else. As your kids get older (ya know past toddler age) they need to have privacy too. Having aunts and g'mas saying things like Oh you pooped in the potty!! when she thought she was in her own home is not conducive to the TRUST you are going to want as a teenager. Start as you mean to go on. Allow your kids some derned privacy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting