Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2022, 04:58 AM

20 posts, read 27,378 times

Advertisements

Hello - looking for some personal experience / opinions from others on this one, as my husband and I are feeling frustrated and confused on making a decision.

We have a 2 year old who has been at a wonderful home daycare since she was 4 months old (we both work FT and our families are 3-4 hours away). They used to have a full house of 8 other children; ours was the youngest / second youngest up until this past fall, when the 3-4 year old kids transitioned to preschool. Now, there are only two other kids with her, 6-8 months younger, incl. one who has slightly different hours and doesn’t come on Fridays. An infant will join in the spring.

I am due in September with our second. I am 100% going to have Baby join the home daycare. We love and trust our home daycare and without getting into a million reasons why- I’ll just say that they are the kind of caretakers everyone wants for their children. We’re very happy there.

That being said, I’ve been obsessing as to whether or not I should move my toddler to a bigger center/ preschool, largely for socializing purposes, since she really only has one peer at home daycare, who is 6 months younger, if that even counts (at 12, no big deal, but 1.5-2 is pretty different, from what I’ve seen). Our potential plan wouldn’t be to move her until December, when she is 3 and it’s been a couple months since Baby, so not bombarding her with too much change all at once.

The preschool class would be a ratio of 1:10, with the chance of going up to 20 kids with a second teacher. I think she would really love being around more kids, especially her age. We left the newborn bubble and essentially went straight into our COVID bubble, and it’s been pretty limited in terms of social events and interaction for her. She’d have more space to play and perhaps do more activities geared toward her age since she’d be with all 3 year olds.

The confusion: Our home daycare is literally a 7-9 minute WALK / 2 minute drive from our house. With both of us working, my husband occasionally traveling, and no help in the area (we have a dog we juggle too), this has been a lifesaver- cutting out the added commute. Home daycare is also $100/week less.

We’re excited and have planned for Baby #2, but we’re naturally a little nervous about juggling more. We accept that there will be of course more to balance and strategize, but we’re wondering if we should add the stress and challenge of new germs/ COVID closures from a bigger school, more costly care, & 2 separate pick ups/drop offs to our day, from the jump with a second child. We’re willing to do it if it’s best for Toddler, but how do we know what’s best if she is already in a caring environment + learning (she can already count to 10 - higher with help, say all the days of the week, all the months of the year, knows all her colors, shapes, and speaks some Spanish).

If we did move her to preschool in December, she’d also be there for almost 3 full years before KG, which I’m not sure is necessary. If we didnt move her this year at 3, we’d move her next fall when she turns 4.

Short version: transition 3 year old to preschool, largely for the opportunity to socialize with more of her peers in a bigger space or wait until she’s 4 bc it’s simpler for Mom and Dad with new baby? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2022, 01:12 PM

23 posts, read 19,124 times
I'd say that either way, she'll do well in her loving household but I can see the benefit of moving her when she is 3 to be around about 10 kids to 1 if you want her to be in a more social environment. Alternatively, she's getting a lot of personalized attention where she is. I'd probably think about what you want the focus to be at each stage and what she is learning. If she will be getting more personalized intellectual development where she is, that might be great but otherwise the preschool probably offers more social development.

In terms of navigating Covid and the variants, I agree that odds of illness are reduced where she is. That's a tough situation so good luck with whatever you decide. I agree that there are large differences at that age and generally kids move to a more social setting at 3. Either way, I'd focus on preparing her for kindergarten.

Old 01-27-2022, 12:43 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,693,997 times
You might get better advice based on actual data from people educated in early childhood education in a different forum. My personal, layman opinion is that it depends in part on your kid's personality. My kid started preschool at 3 because he was very shy around his peers and needed the extra socialization practice. It also depends on the daycare provider's focus. A preschool will have a series of structured and unstructured activities that will change daily. If the home daycare provider's focus is primarily on the younger children's basic feeding/diapering/safety needs then that might leave significantly less focus on your kid's very different needs when it comes to developmentally appropriate stimulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting