Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2022, 11:54 AM

1,073 posts, read 622,487 times

Advertisements

Hello all-
I posted on the sports forum but am thinking this may be a better spot for advice.

First- anyone listen to sports over the internet and radio?
I've done it for years while driving around on errands, etc. But am considering canceling my cable service all together. The problem is everything is more expensive than when I was a kid in the 80's and couple it with smart phones, etc. the costs are just more today for a family.

I plan to stream with YouTubeTV I'll still get sports but just not the local teams games on the sports channel as YTTV (and Hulu) do not offer it any longer (it was removed over a year ago). DirectTV streaming has the Bally's channels but its still $25 more a month than YTTV or Hulu.

To my son- he isn't thrilled about this decision. Any thoughts on how I can convince him to give it a try?
He said he just can't do it. I feel kind of bad for him- it's funny when I was a kid my parents wouldn't get cable and that was that. So I had to listen to the games or go to a friends house. Any thoughts? Its not like sports are being removed completely. With those streaming service you still get ESPN, FS1, FS2. Just not the local teams which can be picked up via radio or listening to it over the internet.

Thanks for the thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2022, 12:35 PM

6,866 posts, read 4,863,645 times
There is a big difference between need and want.pf course your son wants - he isn't the one paying the bills. Is he old enough to get a part time job and pay the bill for what he wants? It would never have been a discussion when I was growing up. Our parents made the decisions. I certainly could state what I wanted, and on some rare occasions I would get it. I don't think it hurt me any, and I learned I couldn't have it all and how to prioritize my needs and wants once I became an adult and had to pay my own way.

As for your son saying he can't do it - he will live. We don't get everything we want in life. That's why I don't live in a spooky mansion with secret passage ways.

If you are needing or just wanting to cut costs for any reason, it's your call. The money saved can be useful for his further education, your retirement, home repairs, emergency fund, vacations or other recreation. It all ads up.

Old 01-16-2022, 08:23 AM

1,073 posts, read 622,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Twist View Post
There is a big difference between need and want.pf course your son wants - he isn't the one paying the bills. Is he old enough to get a part time job and pay the bill for what he wants? It would never have been a discussion when I was growing up. Our parents made the decisions. I certainly could state what I wanted, and on some rare occasions I would get it. I don't think it hurt me any, and I learned I couldn't have it all and how to prioritize my needs and wants once I became an adult and had to pay my own way.

As for your son saying he can't do it - he will live. We don't get everything we want in life. That's why I don't live in a spooky mansion with secret passage ways.

If you are needing or just wanting to cut costs for any reason, it's your call. The money saved can be useful for his further education, your retirement, home repairs, emergency fund, vacations or other recreation. It all ads up.
Thanks. Yes he is working, this is a good idea to tell him that if he wants the cable/streaming that provides the channel that he should assist in the cost. $25 a month.

Old 01-16-2022, 08:48 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,940,699 times
You're the parent he's the kid. Tell him to get over it.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:28 AM

9,124 posts, read 6,180,105 times
Several things.

1. You are the parent. You get to make these decisions.
2. You are the parent. You ensure that your child is loved, fed, clothed, educated, and housed.
3. He is the child. He gets your support and love, but not everything he wants.
4. A family is a group of related people who support and love each other while trying to give every member what she needs. Not everyone in a family gets what they want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting