Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 06:20 AM

49 posts, read 43,975 times

Advertisements

My ex-wife has not paid child support for a while, then she was forced to pay for it. Last Xmas, without paying child support, $100 was missing for payment of half of plane tickets of my 2 kids, I still sent her my kids for Xmas vacations. Now, child support is automatically withdrawn from her salary. She told me that sheshould ask the judge to reduce it because she doesn't make enough to live while paying child support. She recently sent me $50 for the plane tickets, but she still has to pay me $293 until Easter vacations. What happens if let say, she cannot pay me the remaining $293? do I have the right to not pay for the plane tickets and not send her the kids for Easter vacations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2023, 06:27 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,591,959 times
What does your lawyer say?

Seriously - this is a complex issue that should be addressed by professionals.

That said, do you really want to be the kind of person who withholds your kids from your ex wife over money? What do you think that'll do to your relationship w/ your kids when they're older?

Old 01-30-2023, 06:28 AM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiparis View Post
My ex-wife has not paid child support for a while, then she was forced to pay for it. Last Xmas, without paying child support, $100 was missing for payment of half of plane tickets of my 2 kids, I still sent her my kids for Xmas vacations. Now, child support is automatically withdrawn from her salary. She told me that sheshould ask the judge to reduce it because she doesn't make enough to live while paying child support. She recently sent me $50 for the plane tickets, but she still has to pay me $293 until Easter vacations. What happens if let say, she cannot pay me the remaining $293? do I have the right to not pay for the plane tickets and not send her the kids for Easter vacations?
Is this an international situation? What does the divorce settlement say: are you required to deliver the kids to her for certain periods, so she can exercise her visitation rights? Can you afford the plane tickets?

You might have to go back to court. But if she can't afford plane tickets, while living in another country (or on another continent?), I don't know how going back to court would resolve that.

How old are these kids?

Old 01-30-2023, 09:29 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,931,399 times
Quote:
Talk to your lawyer. She must really be loony if the judge stuck her with child support amd gave you primary custody.

Old 01-30-2023, 10:22 AM

88,528 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Like everybody says, talk to a lawyer.

But it should be pointed out that child support is not a payment for the right to see one's child. You start playing that game of "you didn't pay, so I am going to withhold our children from you", and it can come back to bite you.

Remember, if you play stupid games, you end up with stupid prizes. See your lawyer about how to proceed re the back child support, and keep that separate from the visitation issue. Be an adult. Your kids are watching.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-30-2023 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 01-30-2023, 10:26 AM

50,351 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quit being a dick and put your children’s feelings first. Take the high road.

Old 01-30-2023, 12:13 PM

2,208 posts, read 2,151,445 times
Quote:
First, do not ask for legal advice here. Assuming you are not asking for legal advise, but rather what should you do as a moral issue, send the kids to their other parent if you can afford it. If not, the decision is made by the facts.

Old 01-30-2023, 01:43 PM

18,711 posts, read 33,372,489 times
The cost of the plane ticket can be added to what the ex wife owes OP. My sister was getting back child support for years after her ex stopped paying.

Old 01-30-2023, 01:56 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,858,131 times
Who pays for the kids' custody-related travel, and what the consequences are for non-payment, should be (or should have been) hammered out in the custody arrangement. Read it over. If it's not defined there, consult your lawyer. From a legal standpoint, if there's ambiguity, you want to err on the side of facilitating contact with the other parent, not removing it - if you are perceived as withholding access from the other parent, that opens the door for her to get the agreement revised in her favor, and you open yourself up to other possible repercussions as well. You can document if you're paying her portion of travel out of your pocket and bring that up at the next session.

From a human standpoint, unless the other parent is abusive or neglectful, you really should be doing what you can to foster a positive relationship between her and your kids. She's their mother even if she's not doing a great job of it at the moment. Do you want your kids to think of you as generous or petty where she's concerned? What kind of behavior do you want to model for them?

Old 01-30-2023, 08:47 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,896,476 times
Heed the tone of the responses here. Send your kids and deal with the money issue later.

If you hold your kids hostage for money, they won't be happy, and neither will the judge when your ex gets you back into court.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting