Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 08:13 PM

584 posts, read 871,972 times

Advertisements

My daughter would like to celebrate her 14th birthday at an amusement park with 3 of her close friends from school. Do you think its necessary a parent chaperone at the park with them or ok to drop them off and stay nearby in case they are needed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2018, 08:21 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,010,260 times
At 14 they should be able to handle being "Alone" as long as all 4 stay together.

Guessing they all have cells, you should have all the numbers. You could have them check in with you (or txt you) every few hours.

And you go somewhere near by like a nice spa...

Old 06-27-2018, 08:27 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
At 14 they should be able to handle being "Alone" as long as all 4 stay together.
In general I agree with this; however, it depends on the teens. Are they responsible or are they the kind to find trouble?

Old 06-27-2018, 08:33 PM

584 posts, read 871,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
In general I agree with this; however, it depends on the teens. Are they responsible or are they the kind to find trouble?
They have shown themselves to be responsible. They went to the mall together unsupervised and there were no problems

Old 06-27-2018, 08:52 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
Since you feel the girls are responsible, as long as the parents of the other girls are ok with it, go ahead. I certainly think most 14 yr olds can handle, and deserve, a bit of freedom.

Old 06-27-2018, 09:58 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,398,512 times
If they have at least one phone between them, I'd be fine leaving them there. My son is 13 and a good kid, I'd be OK leaving him with friends, his phone, and staying relatively close. Last year, I took them and stayed at the park, but I brought my phone and a book and sat in the shade while they wandered after walking laps at the park on my own for exercise.

Old 06-28-2018, 12:10 AM

7,649 posts, read 4,603,757 times
I'd say make sure it's ok with the other kids' parents. That could be the biggest hurdle. Hopefully all the kids have phones.

What I told mine as she's starting to want parentless outing...though some parents latch on still....is that if they're running down to the park, or the mall or a tea place that they can do so providing they always follow the rules:

Rule 1: I get to tell all the kids the rules, right before you go, even if I'm the most clueless dork in the world.

Rule 2: You go together. As far as I'm concerned, even if you're teamed up with Stinky or whoever, you guys are a posse that doesn't split.

Rule 3: You stay together at the event. You guys look out for each other.

Rule 4: When you move to a new location, you're each calling a parent. We need to know where you are.

Rule 5: You leave together and you come back together.

I like that I'm getting kids to start filling in the rules for me. If I teach them nothing else before college, hopefully that's it.

Old 06-28-2018, 06:30 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,740,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
I'd say make sure it's ok with the other kids' parents. That could be the biggest hurdle. Hopefully all the kids have phones.

What I told mine as she's starting to want parentless outing...though some parents latch on still....is that if they're running down to the park, or the mall or a tea place that they can do so providing they always follow the rules:

Rule 1: I get to tell all the kids the rules, right before you go, even if I'm the most clueless dork in the world.

Rule 2: You go together. As far as I'm concerned, even if you're teamed up with Stinky or whoever, you guys are a posse that doesn't split.

Rule 3: You stay together at the event. You guys look out for each other.

Rule 4: When you move to a new location, you're each calling a parent. We need to know where you are.

Rule 5: You leave together and you come back together.

I like that I'm getting kids to start filling in the rules for me. If I teach them nothing else before college, hopefully that's it.

This is good advice!

Old 06-28-2018, 07:22 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,443,102 times
Tell them they need to stick together, but at that age I know I was allowed to go unchaperoned.

Old 06-28-2018, 09:35 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,729,801 times
Yep, it's fine as long as they know to stay together. Once my oldest was that age, I'd let him and his sister (two years younger) have time apart from us at Disney World or Universal Studios. The rule was STAY TOGETHER. Go on every ride together and if one doesn't want to go on that ride, then neither of you do. With a group of four, I'd be okay telling them that they could split up two and two for those types of situations, but nobody should be going off (or being left behind) alone.

They will have a blast, I'm sure!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting