Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 10:57 PM

546 posts, read 2,204,495 times

Advertisements

I have to do this every morning and night for my 4 year old. how about you? my son doesn't like toothpaste, so I just use some salt water to rinse after...and u? thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 11:03 PM

115 posts, read 310,146 times
I have four kids, ages almost 10, 8, 2, and 5 months. I brushed the older kids teeth until they were about 6. It is very important to protect the baby teeth or the permanent teeth can be ruined.
Use a baby toothpaste. Orajel makes a pretty tasty one.
Also, be certain that your kiddo is drinking plenty of TAP water because he needs fluoride to protect his teeth from decay. I also like the product ACT as a rinse.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:44 AM

1,047 posts, read 3,990,060 times
my 4 year old likes to do her own.I insist on"checking" them for her at her nightly brushing to make sure they are clean.If she is too quick in the a.m. with brushing,I send her back to do more.

Old 09-07-2008, 06:34 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,368 times
My daughter brushed her own teeth....we started at the dentist at 3 yrs old. She never had a cavity (ha, wish I could say that!) Some of her friends wouldn't brush their teeth....thank goodness she thought that was weird.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:09 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
I did until he was about 3.5, then he did it, although I would still do it about once a week. He didn't like toothpaste, so I searched until I finally found one (bubble gum).

Old 09-07-2008, 09:20 AM

1,100 posts, read 3,012,479 times
My daughter is quite independant. Only SHE is allowed to brush her teeth. But I help her rinse.

Old 09-07-2008, 09:56 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
my daughter is 3.5 and she wants to do it herself.

so I make a quick run over all the teeth when she is done.

I used to do it for her, I would tell her "OPEN"when I wanted her to open for me to brush inside and when I wanted her to bare her teeth at me, with upper and lower teeth together, I used to say "CLAMP" so she would clamp her teeth together, so I could brush the front.

The other day I told her she was done brushing (after 10 minutes) and was trying to wrestle the toothbrush out of her hand, when she cried out and squealed, "I didn't CLAMP" I was laughing so hard, and said well, ok, then, go ahead.

My kids also take a fluoride rinse becase we don't have fluoride in our well water. they have to rinse for 60 seconds then swallow, then they can't drink for 1/2 hour. This has really eliminated the "mommy, I'm thirsty" right after they have been put to bed!

They also like the little flossers.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:31 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,553,586 times
My 4 year old does her own teeth and then I go over them after she is finished. She uses adult tooth paste and she rinses and spits...

They have flavored tooth paste... Like soft vanilla...would he like that?

Old 09-07-2008, 10:14 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
I feel really stupid after reading this post for I never thought that the condition of baby teeth could harm adult teeth. Not saying I didn't know toddlers should brush their teeth...but know I need to go over what my ds does...I was multitasking when he brushed his teeth...now I will make sure to go over them when he finishes. Thanks, posters

Old 09-08-2008, 05:13 PM

5,244 posts, read 4,709,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
I have to do this every morning and night for my 4 year old. how about you? my son doesn't like toothpaste, so I just use some salt water to rinse after...and u? thanks.
I would say that salt water instead of actual brushing is probably unacceptable. Lately, I have seen so many toddlers with "silver teeth" instead of their own teeth. This has really made me more conscious of how my kids brush. At the dentist, he gave them timers (like game timers) that they use to time how long to brush their teeth. Maybe this would be a good time for you and your son to visit the dentist and get a good idea of how healthy his teeth are and how he can improve his brushing. If my kids give me a hard time about brushing, they lose their favorite toy or a favorite outing, etc. It's just something they must do. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting