Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2008, 12:08 PM

1,684 posts, read 3,955,448 times

Advertisements

Maybe it's just in the south, but what's up with Fathers who refer to spending time and or watching the children when Mom's not at home as "babysitting"????? It's called raising your children morons. I work with a guy who goes on and on about having to "babysit" his kids so his SAHM wife can go get her haircut or go the the grocery store without the kids.

This is the same guy (3kids) who regularly misses ball games that fall on "His night out" or "his ball game night".

Mom on the other hand is there for everything and has a part time business at home.

Maybe its just me, but I'd like to hit him with a frying pan or rolling pin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2008, 01:53 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,491,759 times
LOL---good one. this is a prime example of a person who is too selfish to be a parent--and yet has 3 kids...sad really.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:30 PM

5,340 posts, read 13,951,991 times
THIS HAS ALWAYS TICKED ME OFF!!!
Oh, I always correct anyone when they say they are baby sitting. I say "Oh, so they are not your children?"

Old 09-14-2008, 04:28 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
I'll slip and refer to it as babysitting at times, but it's not meant as a complaint. Just as a statement of what I'm doing, as opposed to work or shopping or something. Or, "I need the day off because dw is going downstate so I'll be babysitting ds." It's not technically correct, but I don't think it's usually offensive.

Old 09-14-2008, 05:00 PM

746 posts, read 2,176,306 times
One of the many reasons I divorced my ex...

Old 09-14-2008, 05:24 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I'll slip and refer to it as babysitting at times, but it's not meant as a complaint. Just as a statement of what I'm doing, as opposed to work or shopping or something. Or, "I need the day off because dw is going downstate so I'll be babysitting ds." It's not technically correct, but I don't think it's usually offensive.
No, not offensive when only used occasionally and in a non-complaining tone. I think what is getting to the posters are fathers who complain about having to "babysit."

Luckily, I have never had to deal with it. My husband says he is watching the kids on a certain day, that it is a "daddy day," or simply that he has the kids that day.

Old 09-14-2008, 07:08 PM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,512 times
Babysitting is likely a term used by fathers who have a limited role in raising their children. Now, whether the father's limited involvement is his choice or his wife's choice, that's up to them. If that arrangement works for them and both parents are happy, I say let it be.

I'm very fortunate in the sense that parenting and the will to do it came naturally to my husband and I never have to ask or beg him to be with the kids if I need to go somewhere kid-free. My husband and I have true partnership in the marital and parental areas. It's been that way since day one long before we had our kids. Housework was shared, cooking was shared, we both worked FT except for when I quit work to go to college FT and when I was home with our first daughter FT for 3 yrs. Even then, just because I wasn't working, my husband's involvement in household matters didn't lessen.

Some of my acquaintences have told me to my face that I'm spoiled. I don't think I am. If I did NOTHING and my husband did EVERYTHING, then I might be spoiled.

Old 09-14-2008, 08:10 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,227 times
I agree - it's not babysitting, it's parenting.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:02 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
If a father thinks he's babysitting when taking care of his kids, he is not much of a father.

Old 09-15-2008, 11:29 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelou View Post
Maybe it's just in the south, but what's up with Fathers who refer to spending time and or watching the children when Mom's not at home as "babysitting"????? It's called raising your children morons. I work with a guy who goes on and on about having to "babysit" his kids so his SAHM wife can go get her haircut or go the the grocery store without the kids.

This is the same guy (3kids) who regularly misses ball games that fall on "His night out" or "his ball game night".

Mom on the other hand is there for everything and has a part time business at home.

Maybe its just me, but I'd like to hit him with a frying pan or rolling pin.
I'm from Cali and we call it 'Watching the Kids' here. Nothing big, my husband gets them ready for school as does a coworked of mine with his kids. I think its a shame to call it babysitting. Does he expect to get paid as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting