Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2008, 02:18 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,180,895 times

Advertisements

Hello good parents! I want to get dear grandgirlie a new doll. She is 3 and loves her baby now but is ready for the next step up. I have her mama's 2 American Girls waiting for her to get a little older. So I am looking for something a little more economical , in case it suffers from a haircut I am looking for something a step up from a little bald headed baby or the basic doll in a box....
I was wondering if anyone has these dolls for their little dears, and what you think of them! Not certain if I want to go with a 'newborn' or a toddler baby....
Barrat Our Generation Dolls

Lee Middleton Now Collection (or other)

gotz or Corolle

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Or other brands. Like as far as hair quality and ease of combing/care, the body being stuffed, etc. Thanks for your time.

( I guess it was okay to post this here, I figured parents would know!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 02:44 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times
I absolutely love Corolle dolls.

They have Les Cheries line, I believe it is called, w/Clara and others. She is basically a dress up doll like a barbie, but larger. The clothes are so well made, including shoes. I think she's about 15 inches tall or so.

I am buying my 3, almost 4 year old DD this doll for Christmas:

Coroll 13 Les Cheries Clara Doll, KiddlyWinks Holiday Childrens Toys

And about their hair, I was finding it very difficult to comb one of the dolls hair, it was a mess. I ended up washing and conditioning it with Pantene, and when it was dry it was beautiful and combed perfectly.

yes, so now I am shampooing my daughters dolls hair. where will it end?!?!

Oh, and I love that they come with underwear!

Old 11-19-2008, 03:39 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,126,073 times
MY 3 yr old has 1 Baby alive (The one we have has plastic hair so its not ok to sleep with it) but it eats and pees. We also have a few Madame Alexander baby dolls. I had those as a kid and loved them- i had pussycat i think. She does not care about my cabbage patch dolls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Hello good parents! I want to get dear grandgirlie a new doll. She is 3 and loves her baby now but is ready for the next step up. I have her mama's 2 American Girls waiting for her to get a little older. So I am looking for something a little more economical , in case it suffers from a haircut I am looking for something a step up from a little bald headed baby or the basic doll in a box....
I was wondering if anyone has these dolls for their little dears, and what you think of them! Not certain if I want to go with a 'newborn' or a toddler baby....
Barrat Our Generation Dolls

Lee Middleton Now Collection (or other)

gotz or Corolle

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Or other brands. Like as far as hair quality and ease of combing/care, the body being stuffed, etc. Thanks for your time.

( I guess it was okay to post this here, I figured parents would know!)

Old 11-19-2008, 08:55 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
My daughter had Bitty Baby - the American Girl baby doll- as well as a Corolle baby. The Bitty Baby got a lot more lovin' and eventually needed a head replacement. My DD loved to tote her around by the ankle which led to a severe flat spot on her head! The replacement head was reasonably priced and fixed the problem. The poor little Corelle dolly wasn't quite so loved but also suffered from the perpetual ankle carry and still sports a serious head scrape!

Though I agree with you about the cost of the American Girl series, the ability to send a dolly to "the doctor" (or major plastic surgery and rehab in our case) is a big plus!

Old 11-20-2008, 09:29 AM

153 posts, read 563,671 times
Berenguer makes a variety of cute baby dolls...priced decent and are good quality.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:00 AM

Thanks to each of you thus far! I just discovered Berenguer last night.
Wow what a decision! I can believe the choices.

Pinetree, can you tell me do the Bitty Babies have actual hair?? I can't tell from the pics if it is painted on or actual hair, which is what I think she will like.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:31 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Get her the newest Barbie! Divorcee Barbie. She comes with half of Kens stuff!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-20-2008, 10:34 AM

13,784 posts, read 26,244,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Thanks to each of you thus far! I just discovered Berenguer last night.
Wow what a decision! I can believe the choices.

Pinetree, can you tell me do the Bitty Babies have actual hair?? I can't tell from the pics if it is painted on or actual hair, which is what I think she will like.
The Bitty Baby has real hair. You have a great list to choose from! The Corelle, Goetz, Bitty Baby(American Girl) are all nice dolls.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:25 PM

No barbie- barbie bad.

Thanks again for answers Actually I dug out my Suzie Sunshine from '68ish, and after a new wig,(real neat, I researched'em!) will be passing it on. I kinda forgot about her but she will fit the bill quite nicely for now. Maybe some other parents will see this and look for those dolls y'all referred to!

It is fine with me if This thread ends now.
thanks again!

Old 11-20-2008, 08:41 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,929,449 times
Actually, Bitty Baby does not have real hair. It is molded/painted on her head. Though "real" hair seems like a nice idea, it doesn't clean or style well so I much preferred the plastic hair look.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting