Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 12:26 PM

9 posts, read 15,624 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I need some advice.

I live in Toronto Public Housing and my 16 year old son decided to run away 2 days before mother's day to go live with his father who he has only spent weekends with.

He has left everything in his room and has not called to arrange an appropriate date to pick them up.

He has not kept in touch or come to visit.

When I have called him he tells me that he is busy or refuses to talk.

It's been 8 months since he ran away. When can I legally throw his stuff out?

Please send me links that I can use to back up my position when he and his father want to get alll upset,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 12:36 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,870,333 times
If you still want to keep ties with your son.... I would not throw his things out. Please rethink this. You might be hurting... You might be sad....and hurt. But he is still a child and confused. He will misread this punishment. Please rethink that plan of attack.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:39 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,347,236 times
I agree with skbs. I am so very sorry for you that this happened. While I cannot give any legal advice, you and your son are in my prayers. I think boxing his things up and putting them in an attic or basement would be as far as I'd probably go at this point.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:43 PM

Hello skbs,Thank you for your sensitive reply.You are right. I am very sad & hurt. When my son ran away to live with his dad, it brought on a lot of other issues, including the fact that I know have to move since I am no longer eligible for a two bedroom unit and I now have to move out.I am not prepared to ship his belongings to him. Since he lives with his father who is now financially supporting him, I believe that it is his responsibility now. His father planned this whole thing so that he would no longer have to pay child support. He is a very wicked man who uses women to get what he wants. Since I was not the type to take abuse from him he is very resentful and continues to cause difficulties for me.

Old 01-03-2009, 05:46 PM

Thank you tnky.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscitymom View Post
Hello skbs,Thank you for your sensitive reply.You are right. I am very sad & hurt. When my son ran away to live with his dad, it brought on a lot of other issues, including the fact that I know have to move since I am no longer eligible for a two bedroom unit and I now have to move out.I am not prepared to ship his belongings to him. Since he lives with his father who is now financially supporting him, I believe that it is his responsibility now. His father planned this whole thing so that he would no longer have to pay child support. He is a very wicked man who uses women to get what he wants. Since I was not the type to take abuse from him he is very resentful and continues to cause difficulties for me.
You say he's an evil man when it doesn't sound like he's a man at all to me. Good for you that you're smart enough not to take his abuse. Things will get better. Keep your chin up and know you did not bring this upon yourself. Get a new place to live and live your life. Don't let the evil "man" prevent you from living and enjoying your life. It may not be the life you dreamed of, but only you can make it as good as it can possibly be.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
You say he's an evil man when it doesn't sound like he's a man at all to me. Good for you that you're smart enough not to take his abuse. Things will get better. Keep your chin up and know you did not bring this upon yourself. Get a new place to live and live your life. Don't let the evil "man" prevent you from living and enjoying your life. It may not be the life you dreamed of, but only you can make it as good as it can possibly be.
Hello Tnky,

He does not sound like an evil man because I do not have enough space to get in to the whole story here.

The tragic story is that now he is brainwashing my son and now my son is being disrespectul toward me just as he is.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:02 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
If it were me...

I'd send them a letter (certified, signature required, notarized) that stated that since you no longer will have space to store his things because of your smaller living quarters, he will have 30 days to pick them up (address the letter to the dad).

If they do not pick them up, find the cheapest storage unit you can find, pay for the first month, then mail the keys the same way you mailed the letter. Then wash your hands of the situation. If they do not pick up those things, then they will be auctioned off. Before they are auctioned off, you will have given them 60 days to pick them up. Forward (certified again) any letters the storage place sends you for payment on the unit. This will not affect your credit in any way.

Good luck. Tough love is the hardest.

PS Make sure you include in the letter your intent to pay for one month's storage but after that, it will be up to the dad as to how to proceed.

Last edited by sskkc; 01-04-2009 at 09:03 AM.. Reason: add ps

Old 01-04-2009, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscitymom View Post
Hello Tnky,

He does not sound like an evil man because I do not have enough space to get in to the whole story here.

The tragic story is that now he is brainwashing my son and now my son is being disrespectul toward me just as he is.
Actually, you kinda misread my comments. I was implying he isn't even worthy to be called a man. A real man doesn't act this way. Eventually, your son will see him for what he is.

Old 01-04-2009, 12:51 PM

Oh! Thank you TNKY. I appreciate your support. It's hellping me to feel better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting