Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2009, 09:11 PM

497 posts, read 1,693,978 times

Advertisements

I was studying abroad in England last spring and I saw this great kids cook book filled with fun recipes for kids. What kind of creative food ideas have you and your kids come up with? I never learned to cook when I was younger and I'm kinda paying for it now. I wish they had like cooking classes offered in our community or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 09:57 PM

1,986 posts, read 4,066,982 times
Recipes are great, but kids do it best when they can be creative and use their imaginations. Give them the basic milk or ice cream and a blender and let them find ingredients to mix in, or a bowl of potatoes and tell them to make potato salad with whatever they will eat in it. Things like that.

Old 01-25-2009, 11:53 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,209,453 times
I'm also just learning to cook because I'm in college and my parents only cooked basic dishes so I had to learn to cook or starve. I did learn how to make eggs, grilled cheese, and Kraft macaroni before I left home though. Now I use allrecipes.com constantly. I basically use it to make up a menu each week and cook it, plus the reviewers usually have really good suggestions for making the recipes even better. Here are some kid-friendly recipes I found on the site:

Frog Cupcakes - Allrecipes

Poke Cake III - Allrecipes (this is something I did learn how to make as I kid, I love to make it during the summer)

Apple Ladybug Treats - Allrecipes

Banana Dogs - Allrecipes

Corn Dog Muffins - Allrecipes (I made these when I babysat my little cousins and they really seemed to like them)

Old 01-26-2009, 07:18 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
We have a great cookbook by Emeril that is about cooking with your kids. My daughter loves to pick out recipes and cook with Daddy! Look in your community, there may be cooking classes you are not aware of. Here in the North East they hold kids cooking classes at many of the local grocery stores.

Old 01-26-2009, 08:22 PM

497 posts, read 1,693,978 times
Yeah I'm going to have to check and see if there are any in my community.

Old 01-26-2009, 10:59 PM

1,354 posts, read 6,378,141 times
We cook and bake like crazy in our house. My kids are my helpers in the kitchen and the garden. Our favorite summer treat from last year are frozen bananas. We cut them in half, then put a Popsicle stick in the end and freeze for about 1/2 hr. Just before we take out the bananas, melt some choco chips. I also have mini m&m's, coconut flakes, crushed up homemade granola, in separate bowls. Dip the bananas in the melted chocolate, then add toppings. Freeze again. Once they are totally frozen, I wrap each banana in wax paper, then stick them in the freezer. They last a few days. A healthier version that is just as good is to substitute the melted chocolate for yogurt. We also make frozen yogurt pops in dixie cups with Popsicle sticks. Mix fresh fruit, a little orange juice and yogurt. You can also make yummy frozen pops using a layering method. First put lemonade in 1/3 of the dixie cup, then freeze with the Popsicle stick. After that is totally frozen, add blue gatorade to the next 1/3 of the dixie cup. Once that is frozen, add strawberry/cranberry juice for the remaining 1/3 of the dixie cup.

We have pizza night. I make home made pizza dough, then the kids gets to shape it anyway they want and add toppings. Cheap, easy, and fun. Have the kids make pancakes and toss in fruit, granola, cinnamon, etc. It is easy to make everyday foods into something special.

Every fall we have a cookie decorating party at our house. We keep it small at about 8-9 kids. I make a ton of sugar cookies and icing. I dye coconut, and get sprinkles, then turn the kids loose to decorate. They love it!

We also make muffins of every flavor. Apple/coconut, blueberry/lemon, etc. They love it. We get lots of ideas from Family Fun magazine: FamilyFun - Fun stuff for Kids, Parents - and More Great Family Fun Ideas

If you sew, make your own aprons! We just got the fabric for ours. My son (age 6) picked a John Deere print ('cause it looks like papa's tractor'), my daughter and I picked a fun spring print. So this weekend we won't get much cooking done, we will be sewing.

We live in a rural area and there aren't cooking classes for any age here. We have to make our fun, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting