Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 03:05 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,688,601 times

Advertisements

This is just a rant. I'm in the mall with my 12 year old daughter who is shopping for two separate birthday gifts for two of her friends. She purchases one gift and I foolishly think we are on our way to another store to look for another gift. She then continues to shop in the same store. I ask her why not just go to the checkout counter after she has finished shopping for everything? She replies that its a woman shopping thing and that I would not understand. I then tell my daughter that if she wants a guy (i.e. father, brother or future husband or boyfriend) to go shopping with you drop the "woman shopping thing for the common sense shopping thing". At that second a woman who is standing across from me walks right up to me and says "That was not a nice thing to say to the young lady!!" I replied "Its also not nice to say mind your f#$%ing business, but that didn't stop me either?" The woman turns beet red and starts to go on about my rude response during which I turn around and calmly walk out of the store with my daughter. Outside of physical or verbal abuse where do some people think its ok to insert themselves into a two way conversation. Especially a conversation that was not loud, and was not all that serious to begin with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 03:11 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,231,294 times
You're right, that was none of the lady's business. I would have left "f'ing" out in my reply to her, especially in front of my daughter.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:12 PM

345 posts, read 474,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
This is just a rant. I'm in the mall with my 12 year old daughter who is shopping for two separate birthday gifts for two of her friends. She purchases one gift and I foolishly think we are on our way to another store to look for another gift. She then continues to shop in the same store. I ask her why not just go to the checkout counter after she has finished shopping for everything? She replies that its a woman shopping thing and that I would not understand. I then tell my daughter that if she wants a guy (i.e. father, brother or future husband or boyfriend) to go shopping with you drop the "woman shopping thing for the common sense shopping thing". At that second a woman who is standing across from me walks right up to me and says "That was not a nice thing to say to the young lady!!" I replied "Its also not nice to say mind your f#$%ing business, but that didn't stop me either?" The woman turns beet red and starts to go on about my rude response during which I turn around and calmly walk out of the store with my daughter. Outside of physical or verbal abuse where do some people think its ok to insert themselves into a two way conversation. Especially a conversation that was not loud, and was not all that serious to begin with?

I need to remember that line.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:17 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,875 times
ROTFL

Old 10-28-2010, 03:21 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,208 times
It wasn't any of her business, but maybe you could of left the swear word out.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:21 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,491 times
I don`t know why some people think that they have that right. It`s beyond my comprehension.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:23 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,836,582 times
Im surprised she didn't call CPS. You didn't make your child feel special and amazing for one second. Definitely abuse.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:23 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
OMG You're channeling my father.

Ask him if Uncle Lester made it "up there" after all.

Old 10-28-2010, 03:27 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
The woman was extremely rude, but that doesn't warrant an equally -- or ruder -- response. I would have come up with a more polite brush-off and just thought the rest of it in your head, especially since your daughter was witnessing the whole thing. (it's that whole two wrongs don't make a right thing) I can understand the temptation, though.

(and for what it's worth, maybe the shopping thing is a 12-year-old girl thing; I, and none of my female friends, shop like that! The only exception would be if you spotted something on the way out that you missed the first time.)

Old 10-28-2010, 03:46 PM

345 posts, read 474,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptown_urbanist View Post
The woman was extremely rude, but that doesn't warrant an equally -- or ruder -- response. I would have come up with a more polite brush-off and just thought the rest of it in your head, especially since your daughter was witnessing the whole thing. (it's that whole two wrongs don't make a right thing) I can understand the temptation, though.

(and for what it's worth, maybe the shopping thing is a 12-year-old girl thing; I, and none of my female friends, shop like that! The only exception would be if you spotted something on the way out that you missed the first time.)

I'm a single dad. I'd get the "how cute, it must be your weekend" all the time. Why does anyone need to say that unprompted? I'd always say "it's my weekend every weekend and I get the other 5 days too". Well I semi-snapped one day when it6 happened at the Girl Scout store. Some mother said that to me and I responded "I'm her assistant troop leader. You'd know that if you ever showed up to any of the meetings". BTW, I was the Asst Troop Leader. I still have the pink eel skin planner Virginia Slims sent to the "woman in me". And while in the general area, why are there only Calgon basket door prizes at the TL meetings? Here's a tip, when this happens to the token male GS TL don't yell "you go girl", he's probably uncomfortable enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting