Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 05:08 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times

Advertisements

so last week at dinner my daughter (who is in kindergarten) asked me if she can marry another girl and then she asked if men can marry other men. me and my wife were caught off guard and we tried to figure out why she was asking about that. apparently, her kindergarten teacher read this book "Families, Families, Families" and in that book there is various examples of families. they included several non-traditional families including two moms, two dads and an unmarried couple. i took pictures to post but then realized there is a copyright issue.

now, i feel obligated to explain that I support equality for everyone and believe I am teaching my daughter to not discriminate against people who are different. i dont have an issue with the message. the issue that i have is that the school (i am not sure yet if this is the schools thing or individual teachers; i know the book is available in the library) has decided that they will introduce topics that they know not every parent wants them to introduce to children before most parents have discussed them. i dont think that is at all accidental. the way i figure it, they want to be the ones to teach kids before either prejudiced parents teach their kids wrong or even non-prejudiced parents teach their kids that it is even an issue. i imagine they dont even want it to be seen as an issue worthy of treating in a special way. well, maybe that is how it will be eventually but they know that isnt what parents want today. i want to answer those questions and explain things to my daughter. they intentionally beat us to the punch. my wife is puerto rican and raised catholic, she also believes in equality but is more upset than i am about someone else talking to our child about it. why is it necessary for them to do this in kindergarten?

i am not sure how many people are bothered by this. not the message but the school asserting itself where i (and i think most parents) do not think it belongs.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:12 PM

4,713 posts, read 3,474,299 times
Maybe there is a child in the class whose parents are not of the traditional type? Who knows? You could ask the teacher. Maybe the book has other themes the teacher was trying to convey? Maybe the point was team-building? Lots of possibilities...The book has great reviews. Talk to your child's teacher.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:14 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,466,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Maybe there is a child in the class whose parents are not of the traditional type? Who knows. You could ask the teachers. Maybe the book has other themes the teacher was trying to convey?
That was my thought as well.

I agree that if you are wondering why, then the best course of action would be to ask the teacher.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:33 PM

10,196 posts, read 9,890,797 times
Your daughter is in kindergarten and this caught you off guard? I think you are way behind on topics you should be discussing with your daughter.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:41 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,225,484 times
Don't panic. A teachable moment. Buy the book, read it, you and Mrs. read it to her...share with your daughter that there are kinds of people in our world, who believe many different ways about marriage( or insert topic)..and while you appreciate these differences, this is what you and Mommy believe.....and share those with her.

I believe you can approach any subject using this same tactic.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:41 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
It wouldn't bother me. Same sex marriage is legal now, regardless of moral opinions that parents might have. If you want to be sure you approve morally of everything discussed in your child's class, send the child to a religious school that fits your personal beliefs. Otherwise, if something is legal in all 50 states and your child is likely to encounter other children with same sex parents, reading stories about families like that in school is just helping to prepare your child to treat other people with kindness.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:44 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,711,393 times
should i be asking the teacher when she plans on telling my daughter how babies are made? i havent had that conversation yet either. its legal also.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:45 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,965,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tangelag View Post
Maybe there is a child in the class whose parents are not of the traditional type? Who knows? You could ask the teacher. Maybe the book has other themes the teacher was trying to convey? Maybe the point was team-building? Lots of possibilities...The book has great reviews. Talk to your child's teacher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
That was my thought as well.

I agree that if you are wondering why, then the best course of action would be to ask the teacher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighFlyingBird View Post
Your daughter is in kindergarten and this caught you off guard? I think you are way behind on topics you should be discussing with your daughter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Don't panic. A teachable moment. Buy the book, read it, you and Mrs. read it to her...share with your daughter that there are kinds of people in our world, who believe many different ways about marriage.( or insert topic)..and while you appreciate these differences, this is what you and Mommy believe.....and share those with her.

I believe you can approach any subject using this same tactic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
It wouldn't bother me. Same sex marriage is legal now, regardless of moral opinions that parents might have. If you want to be sure you approve morally of everything discussed in your child's class, send the child to a religious school that fits your personal beliefs. Otherwise, if something is legal in all 50 states and your child is likely to encounter other children with same sex parents, reading stories about families like that in school is just helping to prepare your child to treat other people with kindness.
Yes, yes, yes, yes and yes.

Old 06-06-2016, 05:49 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,883,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
should i be asking the teacher when she plans on telling my daughter how babies are made? i havent had that conversation yet either. its legal also.
And so is smoking and drinking, but they're things that only adults are supposed to do. Having two dads or two moms is something that children will be doing now (actually have been doing for a long time, but the parents can be legally married now, so it will be more acceptable to see both parents at the school together making it more obvious that the parents are a same-sex couple).

Old 06-06-2016, 05:50 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,917,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Your child is going to see same sex couples in public, might even have a friend who has two moms, or two dads, or just one mom or one dad. That's just part of life. On the contrary, visually seeing an adult get pregnant, not so much. I'm not aware of any five year olds who are regularly witnessing adults having sex. Or having IVF, or whatever means they take to get pregnant.

You really think the two are comparable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting