Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 05:49 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

The lesson is that if you give your kids booze, you had better damn well make sure they don't share!

Jury Reaches Verdict In Case Of Mom Accused Of Furnishing Booze To Minors - News Story - WSB Atlanta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 08:51 PM

758 posts, read 1,872,220 times
One of my relatives has that mentality, I'll buy it for him so he can drink at home, because they are doing it anyway. Makes me cringe. Only problem with this mom is, she gave the bottle to him and then didn't keep track of where he was with it, kinda defeats the purpose don't you think?

I'll buy my kids a drink when they are 21 and not a day before.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:16 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
I remember my father thinking it was funny when I was a young child and he brought home chocolates and offered me one. It was full of liquor and I bit into it and began crying. When I was around 15/16 he began giving me wine at home stating we are Italian, it's "an Italian thing."

Old 08-11-2009, 12:35 PM

1,364 posts, read 4,147,130 times
I'm going to admit it. One of the highlights of New Year's Day was my 1 glass of wine that I had with my grandmother that started when I was about 8. She always stressed that drinking was a social event and because she and my mother rarely drank, I never saw the big deal. I honestly cherish those glasses with my grandmother.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:16 AM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,262 times
this is an interesting topic, talk to someone from europe where theres no age limit on drinking, chances are youll hear that its no big deal over there, no constant parties every weekend where teens drink till they puke and pass out on the sofa, floor or lawn at the party, ive talked with a couple people over there, thats exactly the case, not to say it isnt unheard of completely just that it doesnt happen nearly as often... why? cuz its legal... no thrill, and i ask you all who drank underage, didnt it seem to lose some of its flair once you turned 21? i think the age of drinking should be lowered here, take the thrill out of it, youll still see the occasional party but i think it would be a lot less often

Old 08-15-2009, 01:45 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,295,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severs View Post
this is an interesting topic, talk to someone from europe where theres no age limit on drinking, chances are youll hear that its no big deal over there, no constant parties every weekend where teens drink till they puke and pass out on the sofa, floor or lawn at the party, ive talked with a couple people over there, thats exactly the case, not to say it isnt unheard of completely just that it doesnt happen nearly as often... why? cuz its legal... no thrill, and i ask you all who drank underage, didnt it seem to lose some of its flair once you turned 21? i think the age of drinking should be lowered here, take the thrill out of it, youll still see the occasional party but i think it would be a lot less often
Yep. I think I drank MORE from 16 to 21 than I have from 21 to now (38)!

Old 08-15-2009, 06:52 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,308,820 times
Actually in most states it is not illegal to give your own children liquor, what happened here is OTHER people's kids ended up drinking the liquor she provided. Still stupid either way.

Old 08-15-2009, 08:18 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Not sure how I feel about it.
I don't agree with buying kids liquor; especially these days.
Next we're going to hear about a kid taking their own parent to court for providing it to them.

Back in the 70's my "mother" used to buy my "sister" & her friends beer which I thought was stupid.

Allowing her own son to drink when he has friends over; not nuts about.

I'm also starting to feel that if I had liquor in my own house, it should be locked up.
My adult son had an unopened bottle of Jack Daniels in his room that walked.

I also agree that I did most of my drinking before I was legal; of course we did it because it was illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting