Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 03:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,246 times

Advertisements

We are taking a vacation and want to bring the nanny w/ us. The nanny has stated that she is doubling her weekly wage during this time. Is this typical? What is the typical? Keep in mind that her job duties will not change and she will be allowed to have time off, too. Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 10:12 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,571,475 times
Probably a better question for the parenting forum: https://www.city-data.com/forum/parenting/

Old 08-12-2009, 10:24 AM

274 posts, read 318,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainet View Post
We are taking a vacation and want to bring the nanny w/ us. The nanny has stated that she is doubling her weekly wage during this time. Is this typical? What is the typical? Keep in mind that her job duties will not change and she will be allowed to have time off, too. Help!
When our nanny and/or personal chef travels with us, we usually pay her 1.5 times wage (sometimes double if we're traveling overseas). Its nice because then you can enjoy your vacation without having to spend time with the kids.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:33 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,154 times
When we took our nanny to Disney World we paid triple her wage with these caveats:

1) She had to share a suite with the children so my husband and I could enjoy a private room.

2) She had to take them on all the dreadful rides. Who wants to spend a vacation on rollercoasters and log flumes?

3) In the evening we would dine separately. She took them to kid-friendly mac and cheese/chicken nugget places while we dined in Paris or Rome at Epcot Center.

4) Before the trip, she had to earn her Red Cross lifeguard certification so she could watch the kids in the pool. I couldn't possibly get a tan if I were jumping in and out of the water all day.

5) She had to wear Mickey Mouse ears throughout the vacation. The children thought it was terribly amusing.

Trust me, it's worth the extra money. If you can't vacation without the kids, at least you can dump your parental responsibilities for a week.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:36 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockzilla View Post
Its nice because then you can enjoy your vacation without having to spend time with the kids.
I hope you didn't mean that the way it sounded...I go on vacations TO spend time with my children and DH ...

Why is it some of the posters on this thread act like the nanny is the parent. Maybe your kids WANT you to go on rides with them and enjoy dinner with them.
Gosh, I'm sure glad my parents weren't like that. Or all i'd have memories of would be the damn babysitter.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:38 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
When we took our nanny to Disney World we paid triple her wage with these caveats:

1) She had to share a suite with the children so my husband and I could enjoy a private room.

2) She had to take them on all the dreadful rides. Who wants to spend a vacation on rollercoasters and log flumes?

3) In the evening we would dine separately. She took them to kid-friendly mac and cheese/chicken nugget places while we dined in Paris or Rome at Epcot Center.

4) Before the trip, she had to earn her Red Cross lifeguard certification so she could watch the kids in the pool. I couldn't possibly get a tan if I were jumping in and out of the water all day.

5) She had to wear Mickey Mouse ears throughout the vacation. The children thought it was terribly amusing.

Trust me, it's worth the extra money. If you can't vacation without the kids, at least you can dump your parental responsibilities for a week.
Why would you even take the kids? Why not just leave them at home with the nanny and go somewhere that you really want to go, rather than appease them by taking them to Disneyworld?

Old 08-12-2009, 10:40 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,801,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
I hope you didn't mean that the way it sounded...I go on vacations TO spend time with my children and DH ...

Why is it some of the posters on this thread act like the nanny is the parent. Maybe your kids WANT you to go on rides with them and enjoy dinner with them.
Gosh, I'm sure glad my parents weren't like that. Or all i'd have memories of would be the damn babysitter.
Seriously. When we take a family vacation, I want to spend time with my family...responsibilities and all. When we take a husband-wife vacation we find family to watch the kids and go by ourselves.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:42 AM

746 posts, read 2,175,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post

Gee, why even take a family vacation?
The fun of family vacations are doing all that stuff together! If you really want that much time alone as adults then take a separate vacation without the kids. While I'm sure that your kids had fun going on all the rides and swimming in the pool, they would have much MORE fun if you would take the time to do all that stuff WITH THEM.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:51 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,258 times
I think LisaMc46 was kidding.

Old 08-12-2009, 10:52 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,860 times
I hope so. I couldn't tell if it was sarcasm or not...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting