Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 08:58 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,469 times

Advertisements

I will fourth the crockpot idea! They are great. When I was working I'd just throw something in and it'd pretty much be done when I came home. And you can throw just about anything in there. One of my favs. is cornbeef!
Another quick idea is the George Forum Grill. I absolutely love mine. It is so quick and easy and you can throw anything on there and it doesn't take long. It is also quite healthy because it drains most if not all of the fat from meats.
About the kids being picky I was talking to a fiend and she said her sons love to dip! Oh ya love that sauce! They eat peanut butter and jam dipped in bbq. My son didn't go for that one but he did eat tuna dipped in ranch dressing! Hey if it'll get the tuna in him! I also got my son to eat brocolli as long as it had hollandiase or cheese sauce on it (granted hollandaise is not the most healthy but you don't have to douse it and it got him to eat the brocolli!) If he has sauce to dip it in I think he'll eat a lot of things he wouldn't normally. Yesterday he was eating cheese dipped in mustard!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 12:30 AM

464 posts, read 753,100 times
I was going to suggest Dream Dinners also, I go with some friends and we have a blast. The food is OK, some really good, some just OK, the key is it is easy. Good Luck !

Old 04-30-2007, 08:56 AM

206 posts, read 939,025 times
We do stir-fry a lot, it's fast, easy, and healthy. My daughter, who is 7, loves chopping up the veggies and peeling the shrimp!!!! Kids love to help if you let them. Sushi is also fast and easy, I use smoked salmon and cucumbers, I serve it w/ a salad. Kids love yummy different foods to try. Both of these dinners only take about 20 mins.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:14 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,410,769 times
prepare the night before hoose, stick it in the fridge and a cook the next day, that should help you a bit.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:40 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
I did a lot of stirfry too. If you chop the vegs up the night before you can have a dinner up in 15 minutes. I also like the idea of picking up a cooked chicken at the store. You can do a lot of things with it like chicken and biscuits, bbq'd shredded chicken, or just add potatoe and vegs.

One thing I use to do when the kids came home was to cut up some apples, cheese chunks, and nuts as a snack for all of us. Healthy, and gave me time to get dinner ready.

Old 04-30-2007, 11:47 AM

3,049 posts, read 8,908,907 times
hi dad,

i am the main cook in our home too and as a man i love protein so i try and cut the carbs where I can but add more protein.

first make a Menu for the week each week and post it on the Fridge(it doesnt have to be elaborate and you can enlist the help of others around the dinner table for ideas as long as they are healthy.

getting a crock pot is essential too, and you can buy them cheaply at Target or Walmart.
they make awesome beef stews, chili, chicken stews, with little prep time.

I also buy a whole chicken each week and roast it for one hour and it is ready to go for the next day.

make a spaghetti or past primavera

chili with ground turkey

baked fish(tilapia, salmon, catfish)
over rice or coucous

bbq chicken with baked sweet potatoes

meat loaf and mashed sweet potatoes

eggplant lasagna, just sliced eggplant tomato sauce, cheese and veggies

liver and onions over mashed potatoes( boil potatoes the night before while you are sorting clothes or working on computer

bake chicken legs

tuna and pasta(can of tuna mixed with cooked pasta, with cheese and a little milk salt and pepper in a buttered casserole dish, sprinkle some breadcrumbs on top and back 375 for 30 minutes

Old 04-30-2007, 01:04 PM

206 posts, read 939,025 times
Wow, lots of great ideas, I'll have to keep checking back in here! Another meal we do regularly is baked salmon. It only takes 15 mins. to bake in the oven, I season & cook each individual piece of salmon in it's own tin foil pouch, keeps the salmon nice and juicy and there's no clean up!!! While the salmon's baking, I make rice and steam some veggies. Healthy and fast, my kind of dinner.

My hubby is the main cook in our house, he's very creative and makes such wonderful meals, I can't cook very well, so everything I make has to be easy.

Old 04-30-2007, 03:07 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
A great dish - I got this from one off of a cooking show. When in a pinch - buy a roasted chicken in the grocery store, prepare your pasta (shells, rigatoni) at home, tear up the chicken with your fingers (might still be a bit hot), mix with pasta - season to taste. Prepare a salad and you are set to go within 30 minutes of your arrival at home.
I like this one too but I add a jar of alfredo sauce to it

Also get one of those vaccuum sealers I make like 3 lbs of goulash on the weekends and put it in single serivng size vaccuum seal bags that way everyone can pick their fav food
here are other things I vaccuum

take chicken breast and cook on forman grill let cool--vaccuum-- microwave for 1 minute add to caesar salad

pasta alfredo

tuna noodle casarole

single servings of meat they thaw faster

pancakes makes breakfast real fast

2 hotdogs with just a spritz of water then vaccuum---when you microwave it kinda steams them

make your own chicken nuggets vaccuum away

already prepared taco meat--fry your hamburg add taco seasoning then vaccuum

be sure to do these all in single serving so everyone can pick their fav
my kids are older but even my 7 yr old will go down and find his own dinner

Old 04-30-2007, 03:13 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,720,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dncngrl1964 View Post
I like this one too but I add a jar of alfredo sauce to it

Also get one of those vaccuum sealers I make like 3 lbs of goulash on the weekends and put it in single serivng size vaccuum seal bags that way everyone can pick their fav food
here are other things I vaccuum

take chicken breast and cook on forman grill let cool--vaccuum-- microwave for 1 minute add to caesar salad

pasta alfredo

tuna noodle casarole

single servings of meat they thaw faster

pancakes makes breakfast real fast

2 hotdogs with just a spritz of water then vaccuum---when you microwave it kinda steams them

make your own chicken nuggets vaccuum away

already prepared taco meat--fry your hamburg add taco seasoning then vaccuum

be sure to do these all in single serving so everyone can pick their fav
my kids are older but even my 7 yr old will go down and find his own dinner

All wonderful ideas from everyone!! Thank you! Where would I find one of these vacums? And thanks for the hint on single serving! Everyone always wants something different! Would you precook the hot dog?

Old 04-30-2007, 03:48 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,036,574 times
I've seen the Seal-A-Meal at Lowe's and at Target. They are a great investment if you are going to use it! Just remember, it's hard to throw your clothes on one of them if you don't use it--like, say, a treadmill that you buy to work out on, and then it just sits in your bedroom collecting dust and acting as a clothesrack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting