Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 03:08 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,716,107 times

Advertisements

I don't see the harm in it. I'm sure this forum includes some posters with kids who model, so someone's bound to know. It seems to me that you should get an agent for your child.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUBiker View Post
I wouldn't be so quick to judge. Who says I need supporting? How do you know I'm not financially independent and simply want to spend more time with my daughter? Maybe I work because I want to and not because I need to.
then quit your job anyway and spend more time with her.

4,502 posts, read 13,473,524 times
First of all, those "magazine contests" are nonsense... nothing but a way to gather information and names to call parents to have them spend money to get their kid into modeling/acting and, after giving them 100s or even 1000s of dollars, you get nothing.

The only advice I can give you is this: DO NOT GIVE ANYONE A PENNY FOR ANYTHING. NOT ONE RED CENT. NOTHING. NADA. ZILCH. Anyone who tells you that you have to pay for anything is a scam artist, plain and simple.

Keep in mind as well that you're in NC.... not exactly a "hot spot" for modeling or acting.

Also, it's not all that easy to break into the field and it's pretty rare that you'll make enough for private school, college, etc. Don't think you'll be able to quit your job and have your child support you. Even if she does "make it big", don't you think she would resent you later on for you basically pimping her out so you don't have to work?? And what makes you think you can be her "manager" when you know absolutely ZERO about the business????

Child models can make good money, but ALL that money should be put in a trust fund for the child for when she turns 18, not a cut given to the parent for being a "manager". I don't know the particular laws in your state but, in NY, if your child does any acting, you have to put a minimum of 15% of the child's earnings in a trust account. My DD has done some acting and modeling and every penny she's made, I put in a trust fund for her. I could have taken out a cut for transportation, etc, but I didn't. She worked, it's her money.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:09 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,924,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
then quit your job anyway and spend more time with her.
Actually, that may be quite imminent

Old 11-20-2009, 03:09 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,469,729 times
Quote:
Child models can make good money, but ALL that money should be put in a trust fund for the child for when she turns 18, not a cut given to the parent for being a "manager". I don't know the particular laws in your state, but in NY, if your child does any acting, you have to put a minimum of 15% of the child's earnings in a trust account. My DD has done some acting and modeling and every penny she's made, I put in a trust fund for her. I could have taken out a cut for transportation, etc, but I didn't. She worked, it's her money.
^^^This....there is nothing wrong with children modeling if done appropriately - the flag to me was the poster already talking about quitting his job to manage a BABY....

Old 11-20-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
First of all, those "magazine contests" are nonsense... nothing but a way to gather information and names to call parents to have them spend money to get their kid into modeling/acting and, after giving them 100s or even 1000s of dollars, you get nothing.

The only advice I can give you is this: DO NOT GIVE ANYONE A PENNY FOR ANYTHING. NOT ONE RED CENT. NOTHING. NADA. ZILCH. Anyone who tells you that you have to pay for anything is a scam artist, plain and simple.

Also, it's not all that easy to break into the field and it's pretty rare that you'll make enough for private school, college, etc. Don't think you'll be able to quit your job and have your child support you. Even if she does "make it big", don't you think she would resent you later on for you basically pimping her out so you don't have to work?? And what makes you think you can be her "manager" when you know absolutely ZERO about the business????

Child models can make good money, but ALL that money should be put in a trust fund for the child for when she turns 18, not a cut given to the parent for being a "manager". I don't know the particular laws in your state, but in NY, if your child does any acting, you have to put a minimum of 15% of the child's earnings in a trust account. My DD has done some acting and modeling and every penny she's made, I put in a trust fund for her. I could have taken out a cut for transportation, etc, but I didn't. She worked, it's her money.
Not sure why everyone is assuming that this is some sort of "lazy dad get rich quick scheme." Couldn't be further from it actually. You guys sure think the worst of people, don't you?

I have enough money of my own, I don't need any that she brings in. But thanks for your "vote of confidence" with all of the negative assumptions

Old 11-20-2009, 03:13 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,473,524 times
Quote:
I have enough money of my own, I don't need any that she brings in. ns

Then why would you say this: "it would be cool if there is decent money in it. Hell, I'd quit my job to manage it for her if it works out."

If you have enough of your own money, then start putting some of that money away for her private school and college and not "hope" that she'll do enough modeling to make the money on her own.

Old 11-20-2009, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Then why would you say this: "it would be cool if there is decent money in it. Hell, I'd quit my job to manage it for her if it works out."

If you have enough of your own money, then start putting some of that money away for her private school and college and not "hope" that she'll do enough modeling to make the money on her own.
I didn't realize I was required to post my financial details along with this post to prove I don't need "her money" from modeling. Getting your child in a magazine or advertising would be cool, if not just for the experience as a parent. She will have no problem with school expenses, and I could care less if she makes any money or even does any modeling at all, I was just curious what it takes to get started in the field or if it were even worthwhile. I didn't realize I should have spent 30 minutes proofing my post for every possible negative way it could be taken or twisted but maybe I should have.

Sheesh, harsh crowd here. I'll go back to my local forum and not bug all of you who are obviously much better parents and people than I am.

393 posts, read 674,148 times
Quote:
Here are some pics.

In all honesty, this is probably not "baby modeling" material, but about average. I would save the time and effort and just enjoy your child.

8,583 posts, read 16,017,106 times

Hurry because she may be ugly by 2 (just kidding)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting