Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 06:42 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,248,397 times

Advertisements

If you did as a child/young adult, did it make a difference in your life?

If you have siblings, are you closer b/c of it?

My husband was an only child and I find he comes out to the kitchen and eats earlier than the rest of us and that has always driven me crazy. I like the family to all sit down together. (Breakfast)

We have young adults and I work really hard to get us around the table.

I have siblings and we are close today b/c of this, I think. My parents were strict about this. My dad was in the restaurant biz and we would even go to his restaurant just so we could sit down and have dinner (together). This was years ago and now we all have our own families but it stayed with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 06:59 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,743,865 times
I like to have breakfast by myself (and on weekdays growing up we often sat at the table together, but read the newspaper while we ate) but dinners were always as a family. That's the way it is with my family now, too. Dinner is family time, but the other meals (especially breakfast) don't necessarily coincide. Then again, I'm not a morning person and am not usually at my best at breakfast.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:06 PM

Smile Good point!

I am trying to see my husband's side of it. Doesn't help that breakfast is my favorite meal.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:15 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,906,831 times
We do dinner as a family but my husband leaves at 550am for work so we do not do breakfast together.

My brother and I ate dinner together but my mom did not eat with us and my Dad was not home at dinner time. When I lived with my grandparents at a younger age (7 and younger) we ate dinner together and I liked that better.

I try to sit down with the kids or at least be there when they are eating.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:26 PM

Smile Eating together

Lisdol: Do you feel you and your brother are close b/c of that?

Old 12-23-2009, 08:17 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Growing up we always ate dinner as a family except for maybe once a week when my dad worked late. My mom was never insistent about it. It is just what we did. Mom cooked. When dinner was ready, we all sat down together to eat.

My sister and I are not super close, but we do get along, and keep in touch through e-mails and phone calls, etc. I don't know if eating together had anything to do with it.

Now that I'm mom I do the same thing. I make dinner. When it is done, we sit together and eat. Breakfast and lunch, not as much, but always dinner.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:22 PM

1,219 posts, read 4,219,538 times
In my family, we usually eat dinner together-around the table, no tv (other than rarely for a special movie or something). Breakfast is just not possible for us on work/school days. We do it on Sunday, though.

We usually did this, growing up. I think it influenced me to do it with my own family. Especially the part about having the tv off during dinner. I don't know that it made my brother and I closer or not.

Does your dh's work schedule make it hard for eating breakfast together? Maybe dinner is a better time for you all.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:31 PM

Smile Work Schedule

He just gets up really early (says the stomach was talking) and eats by himself. I just am more used to sitting down together and I try to do it as much as possible esp with our various schedules.

When I grew up, the TV was off and we had some great conversations! I did that also. Sometimes, I forget and the news (CNN) is on and my daughter will say "Mother, do you really have to listen to that? Off it goes.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:35 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,065,829 times
DH usually eats his breakfast on the way out the door, the kids eat around the same time but we each do our own breakfast. After everyone is gone I eat (mostly because I have to wait 30 minutes after taking meds). We usually have breakfast together on one of the weekend days.

I don't think it is a problem at all that we don't eat breakfast together but it's rare when we don't sit down and eat dinner together. At dinner we have a chance to discuss what happened during each of our days or discuss an article we read in the paper, etc. We also take 30-45 minutes at dinner if you count the time that we are setting the table and cleaning up. There's not much to talk about at breakfast and it is a quick meal, 5-10 minutes tops. Dinner time seems more meaningful so that is where we prioritize eating as a family.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
He just gets up really early (says the stomach was talking) and eats by himself. I just am more used to sitting down together and I try to do it as much as possible esp with our various schedules.

When I grew up, the TV was off and we had some great conversations! I did that also. Sometimes, I forget and the news (CNN) is on and my daughter will say "Mother, do you really have to listen to that? Off it goes.
I wake up hungry. If I am the first to get up, I eat alone. I wouldn't expect anyone to wait for me either. I also don't think I wake up in the mood to have a conversation. Give me a few minutes to wake up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting