Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 03:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times

Advertisements

This new young mother has everything imaginable, but she's desperate for a breast pump so I have decided to buy her one.

I didn't breast feed so I'm clueless about the differences. Is more expensive really better? Is an average priced one around $150 good enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 03:19 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,906,831 times
I really liked my manual Avent Isis. Much better than my electric Ameda Purely Yours.

I had a friend who used her Isis for work (12-hr shifts) even when she could afford an electric one. She liked it very much too.

Everyone else pretty much will tell you to get her a Medela Pump In Style though.

It will come down to what she is most comfortable with though and really, she might not know til she uses more than one which she likes better (not that I am suggesting you get her several to test out, just that everyone has their own personal preference within the high quality ones)

Old 06-24-2010, 03:30 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
She's a new teenage mother. At this point, she just needs a breast pump to relieve pressure to be more comfortable until her baby is feeding more.

Would a manual be an okay place for her to start? She didn't indicate a preference.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:42 PM

I think the Avent Isis would be a good start. One of my favorite parts of it is complete control with your hand. It seems complicated to take apart and put together at first,but it is easy after a couple of times of taking it apart and washing it.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:57 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,191,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
She's a new teenage mother. At this point, she just needs a breast pump to relieve pressure to be more comfortable until her baby is feeding more.

Would a manual be an okay place for her to start? She didn't indicate a preference.
Manual is a good place to start as well as just using her hand if she is just trying to relieve pressure.

After my LO was born, I pumped and ended up having oversupply. This led to clogged ducts, lots of pain, leaking especially overnight. I let my baby determine supply. However, if she is going to work or if she would like to occasionally bottle feed the baby, she will need a pump, but not an expensive one. I had the Medela Pump in Style and loved it.

Old 06-24-2010, 04:01 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,338,144 times
medela pump in style but its $$$$$$

Old 06-24-2010, 04:09 PM

45 posts, read 128,378 times
You want to go with the best when in comes to breast pumps. Medela has both manual and electric. I say it's the best b/c that's what my hospital and the BF workshop recommended.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:30 AM

486 posts, read 1,666,101 times
I never had good luck with manual pumps, and actually rented a hospital grade one from the hospital for my first child. That way you pay month to month. If she is going to eventually go to work she might need to use a pump for more than the occasional relief that she currently will use it for now. If that's the case, I'd go for the electric. The one I rented at the hospital was $30/month so it ends up being cheaper than buying one (and it's an excellent pump) if she's only planning to breastfeed for a couple of months.
For this baby I do have a Medela Pump in Style Advanced that I got from a friend of mine, with new tubing of course. I haven't used it yet, but it does seem quite nice.
If she is certain she will just need it for the occasional relief pump, then she could try a manual first and see if that does the trick enough.
Good luck selecting one.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:35 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,206,824 times
If she's a teenager, will she be going back to school? Would she have to pump at some point during the day (I'd imagine so if she planned on maintaining supply)?

I went with a Medela Freestyle for work, because IMO, you get what you pay for when it comes to pumps. It has a battery - no need to have an outlet - a timer, and the suction is great. I usually can finish off my pumping sessions in under ten minutes.

I've tried a manual pump - there is no way I would end up using one long term, it takes WAY too long. I don't want to be chained to a pump, nor develop carpal tunnel!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:54 AM

Everyone, like I predicted keeps saying Medela - one warning - if they still make the Medela Mini Electric - ugh do not get it - that was my first pump and I hated it. Very uncomfortable. I got it b/c all of the BF people and the Bf consultant told me to get a Medela. Awful pump.

If she is not going to be pumping all day going back to school in the fall or has already finished HS, I still firmly suggest the manual to begin with.

I hated the electric pump, being plugged into the wall, the noise, etc....The PY I had is recommended right alongside the Medela PIS (it is comparable, just a different brand) and I just had a complete distaste for the whole setup. The Avent I could walk around and pump with, so I could do stuff with my other kids, etc...I gave my PY to my SIL and she used it for work, liked it a lot, and was fine with it but she also is one of those people who can get 8 ounces in 20 minutes. I was lucky to get two ounces in 20 min, ever, across all four children, using various pumps and hand expression, so every little annoying thing about any pump was going to reveal itself to me b/c those 20 min sessions were simply some of the most frustrating 20 min periods in the first years of my children.

BTW, one tip, if she is extremely full and the baby is choking at the letdown, if she doesn't know already, she can take the baby off and manually express a little milk to reduce the pressure of the flow. I had that problem and as a new mom it took a while before someone saw it happening and told me what to do to resolve it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting