Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2018, 05:50 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,144,620 times

Advertisements

Interesting idea. Certainly kids largely focused on leadership are more likely to be disappointed.

Not Leadership Material? Good. The World Needs Followers.
The glorification of leadership skills, especially in college admissions, has emptied leadership of its meaning
By Susan Cain

Perhaps the biggest disservice done by the outsize glorification of “leadership skills” is to the practice of leadership itself — it hollows it out, it empties it of meaning. It attracts those who are motivated by the spotlight rather than by the ideas and people they serve. It teaches students to be a leader for the sake of being in charge, rather than in the name of a cause or idea they care about deeply.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/24/o...followers.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2018, 02:27 AM

18,549 posts, read 15,593,615 times
I think this misses the real issue. The real issue is that in Western society, youth under 18 are forced into a position of involuntary subservience relative to adults, through compulsory schooling laws, denial of the right to vote or perform meaningful work, and inability to enter legal contracts. And to make issues worse, school is a lot like prison, with students having to ask permission to use the restroom, having cell phones confiscated, and in some areas even subject to metal detector use. This amounts to an absolute ban on actual, meaningful leadership, and even a partial ban on basic human dignity. It is only to be expected that a society that does this to its citizens for the first 18 years of their lives will lack good leadership, as everyone is conditioned to be followers, by force or coercion, until they get used to it.

The solution is youth rights and democratic (Sudbury) school!

Old 10-27-2018, 05:54 AM

7,593 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Good leaders and good followers often share the same traits of behavior, so I agree a parent shouldn't stress leadership. Sometimes good leaders must rely on directives in order to get uninspired people back to work. A bad leader will continue to rely on threats and dominance. However, a good leader will find the source of the lack of inspiration and then make changes. In order to accomplish this, the leader must be willing to listen to others, a trait often given to followers.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:06 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,681,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elyn02 View Post
Good leaders and good followers often share the same traits of behavior, so I agree a parent shouldn't stress leadership. Sometimes good leaders must rely on directives in order to get uninspired people back to work. A bad leader will continue to rely on threats and dominance. However, a good leader will find the source of the lack of inspiration and then make changes. In order to accomplish this, the leader must be willing to listen to others, a trait often given to followers.
Great post. Being a good follower doesn’t always mean just blindly following what you are told to do as well. A good follower is still one who will question when things are going wrong or if something can be changed to improve a process to make their leader look better. A good follower will also generally look out for the team and not for just him or herself, traits that are also beneficial in a good leader. The best leader tries to make sure that everyone on the team looks good and doesn’t just rely on just the two best players to play a game or do all the work on a project.

For example, in my last job, I had more of a “leader” role, but now I am more in a follower role. I still use some of my leader skills to be a good follower. I think I am a better follower when I have the leader skills than I would be without them because I can ignore the directives (usually from outside my office) that don’t really make sense.

Old 10-27-2018, 06:34 AM

7,593 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Great post. Being a good follower doesn’t always mean just blindly following what you are told to do as well.
Quote:
A good follower is still one who will question when things are going wrong or if something can be changed to improve a process to make their leader look better. A good follower will also generally look out for the team and not for just him or herself, traits that are also beneficial in a good leader. The best leader tries to make sure that everyone on the team looks good and doesn’t just rely on just the two best players to play a game or do all the work on a project.
For example, in my last job, I had more of a “leader” role, but now I am more in a follower role. I still use some of my leader skills to be a good follower. I think I am a better follower when I have the leader skills than I would be without them because I can ignore the directives (usually from outside my office) that don’t really make sense.
Thank you. I read a nice book that I use with my daughter and it has to do with leadership skills during critical times. The authors followed individuals in organizations that many people considered leaders. These people all had the same characteristics. The quoted part of your post is what many of the individuals had in common and what people considered to be good leadership skills.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:36 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I think this misses the real issue. The real issue is that in Western society, youth under 18 are forced into a position of involuntary subservience relative to adults, through compulsory schooling laws, denial of the right to vote or perform meaningful work, and inability to enter legal contracts. And to make issues worse, school is a lot like prison, with students having to ask permission to use the restroom, having cell phones confiscated, and in some areas even subject to metal detector use. This amounts to an absolute ban on actual, meaningful leadership, and even a partial ban on basic human dignity. It is only to be expected that a society that does this to its citizens for the first 18 years of their lives will lack good leadership, as everyone is conditioned to be followers, by force or coercion, until they get used to it.

The solution is youth rights and democratic (Sudbury) school!
I think you dropped your tinfoil hat somewhere...

Old 11-02-2018, 11:47 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
My parents, my mother especially stressed leadership. To take charge and take responsibility.

To me, it was a very satisfying feeling. I remember as a teen when we were working with our Army sponsors to go rappelling off the 1st Cav tower ........ and half of the group didn't have their permission slips signed that Saturday morning.

So I sent the half that did out to the tower then drove around town with the other half getting those slips signed.

Recently, I had to "ground" a diver because they lacked the basic skill. My assistant said, "I'll talk to them if you like." "No.....that is my responsibility. You take care of the group and I will go talk to them.". Stepping up to the bat like that is hard pill to swallow, it is tough telling them why you can't let them go on, on how we resolve the issue.......but there is a mighty powerful feeling in one's self to be able to do that.

Then or now, being a leader builds audacity, the ability to think on one's feet, and above all, learning to care for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting