Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 07:04 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,855 times

Advertisements

So... this morning, I turned on Nickelodeon with my 20 month old son at around 6:15 AM. Figured there might be something good for kids on (PBS had some elderly exercise show on.... which might merit a different post somewhere else..... :-P ) ... Anyway, watching some show while playing with my son. During a commercial break a music video type commercial comes on. It was a Nickelodeon character from a daytime show for teens. The song was literally all about kissing boys and how "it made her feel", etc...

Is this appropriate for 6:15 AM?

I was slightly taken aback a bit by this. Nickelodeon is obviously trying to build a brand here.... but 6:15 during little kid shows? That just seems messed up to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 02:48 PM

141 posts, read 435,260 times
Yeah, boys kissing girls, how horrible... You gotta be kiddin me! And feeling something about it too!

So, now I wonder how my parents parents survived in the farm seeing all aspects of animal and human reproductions, no secrets, no mysteries of that. Still somehow all made to be normal people... Wonder how that really works

Old 04-17-2010, 02:50 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,777,186 times
I don't think Nickelodeon is the right channel for a 20 month old...it's geared toward tweens now, I thought. Nick Jr is more for the preschool set. If they showed that commerical on Nick Jr, I would wonder, but not on regular Nick.

Old 04-17-2010, 03:13 PM

289 posts, read 311,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
So... this morning, I turned on Nickelodeon with my 20 month old son at around 6:15 AM. Figured there might be something good for kids on (PBS had some elderly exercise show on.... which might merit a different post somewhere else..... :-P ) ... Anyway, watching some show while playing with my son. During a commercial break a music video type commercial comes on. It was a Nickelodeon character from a daytime show for teens. The song was literally all about kissing boys and how "it made her feel", etc...

I was slightly taken aback a bit by this. Nickelodeon is obviously trying to build a brand here.... but 6:15 during little kid shows? That just seems messed up to me.
Miranda Cosgrove, I presume?

But yeah, personally I could do without the mind-numbing cross promotion and such. My 3yr old son just ignores it, though, so I'm not too concerned at this point (on a strictly personal level).

As to "appropriate", I wonder if they'd even expect a 20 month old to be awake and watching tv that early in the morning? I don't know....just pondering what their motivation might be.

Old 04-17-2010, 06:00 PM

2,839 posts, read 9,986,315 times
This week is spring break in many areas, and the channels are catering to older kids right now... in a couple of weeks, they should be back toward offering programming for the preschool-aged crowd in the morning. With that said, Nickelodeon is not really a channel for toddlers.

Old 04-18-2010, 07:37 AM

745 posts, read 1,438,855 times
I guess I just misunderstood what Nickelodeon was....

Quote:
Yeah, boys kissing girls, how horrible... You gotta be kiddin me! And feeling something about it too!
Not sure what you are getting at....

Quote:
As to "appropriate", I wonder if they'd even expect a 20 month old to be awake and watching tv that early in the morning?
we put our son to bed at 7 PM.... he gets up at 6:30 ish..... if Mom is still asleep, I often put the tube on as I am usually exhausted myself. Often not in the mood for serious play until I have my coffee.

Old 04-18-2010, 01:01 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,920 times
Quote:

You have to be really careful w/ Nickeloden, Cartoon Network & Disney. Can't be trusted, unfortunately. I love PBS b/c there are no commericals.

I saw a commercial for the Scooter Store (wheelchairs for the elderly) during Max & Ruby a few weeks ago on Nick. Made no sense.

And yes, they will advertise whatever doing whatever time. It's about profit.

One word: DVDs. Go to your local library & pick up things like Max & Ruby, Curious George, Land Before Time & so on. That way, you have no worries about commercials & the content is completely controllable.

Old 04-18-2010, 05:50 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,235,250 times
Give the 20 month old blocks to play with.

I bet there is a survey somewhere that associates TV with poor development.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:13 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Quote:

do you have Sprout or Disney? Those are better for toddlers. There is also a Nick for younger kids. It is called Nick Jr. I think it is an entirely separate channel.

Old 04-18-2010, 11:52 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Does your child ever see you and daddy kissing? All kids ought to see that, it's healthy. Beyond that I don't think there is a problem. Either 20 months is too young to understand and when they can understand, well, yup. People kiss
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting