Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 08:09 AM

304 posts, read 888,847 times

Advertisements

I'd never noticed until we adopted three kids (9, 8, 7). We don't let them watch much TV but hubby and I will catch news, etc.

This AM, I had left VH1 on while I was preparing breakfast. Luckily it was around the corner from the kitchen. I popped over to check email when the kids went to change and what do I see?

Women in S&M outfits, simulated sex (guy/girl, girl/girl), someone pouring something all over themselves, and a lot of skimpy clothes and sexual gyrations.

Kind of hot, until I looked at the clock and found it was 8:00 AM! What if one of my kids had seen that that?! There's a LOT of questions I don't want to answer yet!!!! Trouble is I'm sure a lot of kids DID see the video, which was entirely inappropriate.

Am I being prudish to think that VH1 should have been a little more circumspect with what they were showing? Seems like that video should be on after 9:00 PM.

So am I an old prude, or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 08:31 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,149,875 times
No you are not a prude. I am often aghast at what is shown nowadays!! We can't watch Spike TV (my DH and I) without having a slew of commercials for Girls gone wild, and other smutty ads. My DH and I just change the channel when the commercials come on. If we DVR it we just zoom past the ads. Our kids barely watch tv nowadays.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:23 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLover99 View Post
I'd never noticed until we adopted three kids (9, 8, 7). We don't let them watch much TV but hubby and I will catch news, etc.

This AM, I had left VH1 on while I was preparing breakfast. Luckily it was around the corner from the kitchen. I popped over to check email when the kids went to change and what do I see?

Women in S&M outfits, simulated sex (guy/girl, girl/girl), someone pouring something all over themselves, and a lot of skimpy clothes and sexual gyrations.

Kind of hot, until I looked at the clock and found it was 8:00 AM! What if one of my kids had seen that that?! There's a LOT of questions I don't want to answer yet!!!! Trouble is I'm sure a lot of kids DID see the video, which was entirely inappropriate.

Am I being prudish to think that VH1 should have been a little more circumspect with what they were showing? Seems like that video should be on after 9:00 PM.

i think those feelings are pretty normal...so, no..i wouldn't say you're an old prude.

it's just the beauty of living in a "free" country, just be glad you're there with your kids, and have the discipline to change the channell.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:33 AM

623 posts, read 1,602,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DogLover99 View Post

Those kinds of videos have been on for a long time. Also you may not want to answer questions but our 9 year old just turned 10 and they have already been discussing it in the grade school at a low level. To think your 9 year old doesn't know what that is, is a mistake. I don't think you need to have the "official talk" yet but you shouldn't shy away from that discussion either.

You may not be a prude but don't bury your head in the sand about this stuff either.

Old 05-10-2010, 10:20 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
VH1 was actually playing a video? I thought all they did was those stupid shows....

When my son was younger I blocked the music channels.

Old 05-10-2010, 12:32 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,820,173 times
I don't think 7-9 year olds should be watching VH1, change the channel.

Old 05-12-2010, 09:06 AM

304 posts, read 888,847 times
I hate to say, I was around when MTV started! VH1 was 'supposed' to be an older, more sedate version of MTV without the 'offensive' stuff.

Boy, has that changed!

It's funny how my perceptions have changed with the kids!

We don't let them watch any TV except movies we provide and documentaries. Am thinking about adding some Electric Company, but I have been shocked with commercials and even network TV.

Hubby and I can be watching the news and some commercial will be on (usually for a CSI-type program showing blood/guts). That's inevitably when a child walks in to ask for something! It's funny to watch us both dive for the remote!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting