Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 01:58 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times

Advertisements

I have an idea: let's **** all over Pennsylvania for being like all 49 other states!

I'm sure Texas added a lot of Census and stimulus jobs too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2010, 04:18 PM

7,271 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Jeez. The negative Nancies are out in full force for this thread.

Of course, a lot of the hiring is due to the Census, but -- as other have noted -- that is the case in every other state, too. Not to mention, there are MANY more Census workers in more populated states like California, New York and Florida; yet we still managed to beat them in job growth for May.

Perhaps (and I know this will come as a huge surprise to those whose brains begin to malfunction upon hearing any positive press for PA) Pennsylvania's economy is actually faring pretty well compared to most of the rest of the country right now.

Old 06-20-2010, 11:08 AM

1,312 posts, read 4,776,265 times
It's great that people are getting jobs, but I think the stimulus numbers are padded with all the temporary jobs out there. PA of course isn't the only state with temp jobs. Amusement parks can count hires as new employees, even when people worked there the previous summer, and so can nurseries, orchards, etc. All these jobs would have existed without the stimulus, so they shouldn't be counted, IMO.

Old 06-20-2010, 01:14 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bevis View Post
Either way, trying to get get everyone to work for $10 an hour isn't going to put food on the table or get the economy started when it costs $14 a hour to live in Pittsburgh.
It does NOT cost $14 an hour to live in Pittsburgh. I started at 12 an hour in my current position and have had much MORE than enough, not only to be able to purchase my house (cash, from savings I made while living in a studio flat in Shadyside), but also to enjoy a very high quality of living and have money in the bank.

I used to work at Wal-Mart part-time. I made 7.65 an hour without benefits. Now that was a meager wage. However, I still managed to pay my bills and live (on my own) in a studio apartment in Forest Hills. That apartment was $325 including utilities. But it was tough, and if I had gotten sick who knows what would have happened.

Anything over $10 an hour is plenty of money in Pittsburgh -- if you are single and have benefits. Anything less is stretching it (but can probably be done if you are thrifty).

Old 06-23-2010, 06:30 AM

74 posts, read 179,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Rendell said about 3,100 of the new jobs in May are related to census work.

?
Check this out.

http://www.paworkstats.state.pa.us/newsrel/PA_news_rel.pdf (broken link)

It says a 14K increase in federal jobs in PA in May. That is a lot more than 3100, which is actually the increase in federal jobs in April.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:21 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
If Rendell says it, I wouldn't necessarily believe it. Besides, how many of those jobs involve saying "would you like fries with that?" or "would you like to supersize for an extra 69 cents?"

Old 06-24-2010, 06:01 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
If Rendell says it, I wouldn't necessarily believe it. Besides, how many of those jobs involve saying "would you like fries with that?" or "would you like to supersize for an extra 69 cents?"
About the same proportion as 49 other states.

Old 06-27-2010, 06:42 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
A lot of those jobs were government census and temp jobs, unfortunately. It's not terrible news, not good news.
Maybe treading water economically isn't so bad. At least Pa isn't California, Nevada or Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania