Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2012, 01:56 PM

932 posts, read 1,945,051 times

Advertisements

Back in 07-08, my friend and I used to drive all around the state exploring abandoned pieces of Pennsylvania. Our page became pretty popular among UrbExers, so I just wanted to share some pictures we gathered over the years. There are a lot of user submissions as well. The old stuff is mostly my work, or my friend's.

PA Urban Exploration, Frick's Lock photos and Centralia photos - Forgotten Pennsylvania

https://www.facebook.com/forgottenpa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2012, 05:31 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Just a suggestion but drop the web ring thing on your blog, it's playing havoc with my browser.

Not sure if you explored here so I'll post it:

Pennsylvania Turnpike: The Lost Highway - YouTube

Quote:
The Forgotten Coal Industry of NEPA
Just a heads up, while it's a shadow of it's former self the anthracite industry in NEPA is alive and well. Matter of fact if it weren't for the low natural gas prices right now it would be booming. Just for some perspective in late '07 into '08 there was a 1 year wait for a boiler and 6 months for stove. There is thousands employed directly in the mining/preparation of anthracite and hundreds in other jobs like stove manufacturing. Off the top of my head there is at least 5 companies still producing coal boilers/stoves/furnaces right here in PA.

Northeastern Pennsylvania Community Forums, Home of the Anthracite and Bituminous Coal Forums

Last edited by thecoalman; 09-14-2012 at 05:41 AM..

Old 09-14-2012, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Just a suggestion but drop the web ring thing on your blog, it's playing havoc with my browser.

Not sure if you explored here so I'll post it:

Pennsylvania Turnpike: The Lost Highway - YouTube

Just a heads up, while it's a shadow of it's former self the anthracite industry in NEPA is alive and well.
The blog and facebook page were created and administered by my friend Al. He and I used to go on these together. We were both in it for seeing the days gone by, and a lot of our photos were from old abandoned coal related things. You should check out our photos of the Huber Breaker in Ashley. That is probably still my favorite.

We did get to do the abandoned Turnpike. We went on a Saturday morning after I had worked a 12 hour overnight shift, and at the time I was the only one who drove. And we lived a solid 3 hours from the site. I don't remember a whole lot, but here's the pictures.

Urban Exploration

Oh and sorry about the blog ring thing. I don't remember my credentials to access the site anymore.

Old 09-14-2012, 07:44 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
Used to be into urbexing a few years ago, and it looks like your blog roll has a lot of the people I used to follow. Wonder if we know some of the same people

Old 09-14-2012, 07:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
You should check out our photos of the Huber Breaker in Ashley. That is probably still my favorite.
I'm very familiar with the Huber, may even have been to it as a child when it was in operation on one of my families coal trucks. Bill Best who is the President of the Huber Preservation Society was a aquantinence since I was kid, haven't seen him in a while though. I even hosted their site on my server for about a year for free.

Quote:
Oh and sorry about the blog ring thing. I don't remember my credentials to access the site anymore.
Not familiar with that service but you should be able to recover the password if you have access to the email address used to administer it.

https://www.blogger.com/forgot.g

If you need a hand let me know in a PM the password and I'll look at it quick.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'm very familiar with the Huber, may even have been to it as a child when it was in operation on one of my families coal trucks. Bill Best who is the President of the Huber Preservation Society was a aquantinence since I was kid, haven't seen him in a while though. I even hosted their site on my server for about a year for free.
That's awesome. Bill gave us the guided tour of the Huber Breaker. Great guy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania