Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 09:14 AM

49 posts, read 67,724 times

Advertisements

I've pulled up a number of very nice residential rural properties for sale in the Guys Mills area of Crawford County. Prices seem reasonable. These are not shabby properties.

Has something happened recently, or is something about to happen, that would put owners into a major sell mode?

Like oil/gas drilling, pig farm developing, newly discovered pollution, or ??? It seems like it might otherwise be a desirable place to live. What don't I know about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 12:35 PM

458 posts, read 656,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeEffect2 View Post
I've pulled up a number of very nice residential rural properties for sale in the Guys Mills area of Crawford County. Prices seem reasonable. These are not shabby properties.

Has something happened recently, or is something about to happen, that would put owners into a major sell mode?

Like oil/gas drilling, pig farm developing, newly discovered pollution, or ??? It seems like it might otherwise be a desirable place to live. What don't I know about?

Plain and simple, there just isn't much going on in that area. It's in Crawford County, which is one of the more economically depressed counties in PA. It's got to be near 100 miles from Pittsburgh and at least 45 minutes from Erie, so it's not close to any of the major cities.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:46 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,859,200 times
Guys Mills is just your typical small town in Northwest PA and it is not too far from Meadville, Edinboro, Titusville, Oil City, Franklin and Erie so there are many amenities relatively close by, but as WPANative mentioned the prices are low because it is a little more off the beaten path and those drives can be very long in the winter depending on conditions. I love two places pretty close to that area:

1) The Blue Canoe Brewery
The Blue Canoe

2) Erie National Wildlife Refuge
Friends of Erie National Wildlife Refuge

Old 01-23-2014, 04:35 PM

49 posts, read 67,724 times
Thanks for your responses.

I understand what you're saying about remoteness and economic depression. I've looked at the Pennsylvania Atlas and read the gloom about NW Penna on this forum.

These properties I'm talking about are not tarpaper shacks or run-of-the-mill places that would have been owned by now-displaced factory workers. Someone in recent years (possibly retirees) sunk big $$$$ into them and now they want want out. I have to believe there's an underlying reason, especially since the properties are clustered in a small area. Possibly the groundwater went bad from an abandoned industry and they've got to truck in good water???? Problems like that happen all the time

Maybe someone living nearby will weigh in and explain the situation.

Old 01-24-2014, 08:08 AM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,859,200 times
LakeEffect2

I see what you are asking about now and until recently I had family who lived in a county in NWPA and owned/operated a farm. They were concerned about some of the issues related to natural gas drilling and they decided to sell the farm and move to upstate NY. Part of the requirements of the sale mean I really can't give many specific details, but overall natural gas drilling is still rather minimal in NWPA and my family's farm just happened to be in the general vicinity of where they were starting to drill. Use the map I linked to below as a decent guide to see where some of the natural gas drilling is located in western PA. You will notice that you can search by county and zoom in to see where many of the drilling sites are located. Most of the drilling is in North Central PA, but it is expanding in western PA. Also, make sure to ask about mineral rights for any properties you are looking at and inquire about water quality testing. In western PA, the natural gas drilling is not a major issue that is driving away people in droves, but it is concerning and it is not something I would want anywhere near my house.

Pennsylvania fracking map | NPR StateImpact
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania