Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2019, 04:01 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times

Advertisements

I just received a notice from 'ClearChoice' energy asking for my authorization to choose them and end my relationship with PPL.

What I don't like is their presentation. On the front of their request, in a black header, they state "IMPORTANT NOTICE ACTION REQUESTED" and below that they have: utility company and PPL. I know that the also say 'enclosed authorization forms'. It is just that I can picture that many customers can get confused and feel that PPL is encouraging us to sign this 'simple, little, form' and get the "100% clean, pollution-free energy" (which I do not believe).

I do not like being hustled! This company is too 'slick' for me. I have always been happy with PPL and do not want to switch. I am afraid that too many will switch at one point and then we will not have an option. So I am posting this to ask what others think? I just feel that good companies do not have to trick people into buying; we would find them on our own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 07:04 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,448,002 times
Speaking of "slick" presentations in the mail, I have a bone to pick with Met Ed, one of the supposedly legit power companies in the area.

I am repeatedly solicited via snail mail to sign up for their "power line protection program". This is "insurance" for power lines that they might have to repair, and charge me for the repairs. It's ludicrous, of course. I've never heard of any customer being charged to have a power line repaired. They only started this push a few years ago. Maybe these schemes were illegal before? Trying to think of why this sudden marketing push for worthless insurance from an otherwise legitimate power company.

Back to the original topic, I've crunched the numbers on these "alternative" power companies and after the initial discount period is over, the Met Ed rates beat them all. I suppose if you're wealthy and you like the idea of buying 100% solar power or whatever, then you can blow your money on it if you want. Most of these alternative companies feel like Nigerian scams.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:04 AM

30,533 posts, read 16,231,137 times
I agree, fisheye. I've gotten more calls than snail mails and usually hang up when they tell me to go get my electric bill.

I also like the electric company I've got now.

Unfortunately the days of respectful advertising are over. Welcome to the 21st century.

Old 09-12-2019, 08:12 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
I had representative from one these companies come to the front door. Forget exactly what he said but it was deceptive to say the least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
form' and get the "100% clean, pollution-free energy" (which I do not believe).
Yes and no. If they advertising it as 100% renewable energy then it would be however it goes into a pool. It's kind of like dumping a bottle of name brand water in a water reservoir and then filling it up at the tap at your house. It's not the same water. Their power is 100% dependent on fossil fuel and nuclear generation and most of the power you are consuming is going to be generated by fossil fuels or nuclear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
I am repeatedly solicited via snail mail to sign up for their "power line protection program". This is "insurance" for power lines that they might have to repair, and charge me for the repairs. It's ludicrous, of course. I've never heard of any customer being charged to have a power line repaired. They only started this push a few years ago. Maybe these schemes were illegal before? Trying to think of why this sudden marketing push for worthless insurance from an otherwise legitimate power company.
They are only responsible for the wire from the pole to where it attaches to the house and the meter itself. The point of attachment, wire/conduit to the meter box and the meter box are your responsibility. If a tree falls on the line from the pole to the house and it rips the wire off the house from the connection point to the box you would be responsible for fixing it to the connection point

Last edited by thecoalman; 09-12-2019 at 09:06 AM..

Old 09-12-2019, 01:15 PM

8,080 posts, read 7,448,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
They are only responsible for the wire from the pole to where it attaches to the house and the meter itself. The point of attachment, wire/conduit to the meter box and the meter box are your responsibility. If a tree falls on the line from the pole to the house and it rips the wire off the house from the connection point to the box you would be responsible for fixing it to the connection point
I consider that a rip-off. Maybe people have bought that insurance and have used it, but I think it's an insane waste of money and every time I get their stupid solicitation in the mail I think of some poor, frightened old lady writing out a check for it, and I picture my wife doing so if I kick the bucket.

We've been in our house for nearly 30 years and we have 2 electric accounts. At $5/month for each account for 30 years would be $3600.00 for nothing. If anything happens to the line between the final pole and the house there's no way it would cost anything close to $3600.00 to re-hang the wire. It's a cash cow for the electric company.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:01 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,150,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Yes and no. If they advertising it as 100% renewable energy then it would be however it goes into a pool. It's kind of like dumping a bottle of name brand water in a water reservoir and then filling it up at the tap at your house. It's not the same water. Their power is 100% dependent on fossil fuel and nuclear generation and most of the power you are consuming is going to be generated by fossil fuels or nuclear.
Most of the "Clean and Green" is still only a play on words. For large solar cell parks they cleared the trees and they burned a lot of hydrocarbons to truck in the cement for the anchors and smelt the steel/aluminum for the frames. With wind farms we know that any claim to green is questionable and that doesn't even count the number of dead bird carcasses under the windmills. Clean and Green is only one small snippet of time during the operation and not looking at the whole manufacturing to the graveyard process.

And, yes, I agree with your explanation of the 'pool'!

I just worry about this advertisement. To me, the harder they advertise, the less likely I would give them one penny! On the other hand I can easily see where many would make a mistake and quickly sign up thinking their own electric company encouraged them to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania