Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2020, 03:20 PM

5 posts, read 10,265 times

Advertisements

I'm coming from Boston area. I'm kind of fed up with the progressive hive mind here. Prices are also high because of Boston but I never go into Boston because I hate big cities. They also have a kind of rough lockdown and mask requirements which I do not support at all. I mean, a few days ago someone told me I was walking on the wrong side of the sidewalk here and not following Covid lockdown safety rules LOL. So I'm ready to make a move.

I was looking at Boise, or N Idaho, or Northwest Arkansas, if that may give you an idea of what I'm looking for. But I still have family and friends in the area so I'm not sure I want to move across the country. I can work remotely though so finding a job is not an issue for me. The "bad weather" doesn't bother me as I like snow... Here is what I'm looking for:

-NOT in or dependent on a large city. I'd like to be near a small city or large town (which I'd define as 50k-200k or so). Ideally I'd get something a little bit outside of town where it was a bit more rural and I could have a little land and raise chickens.

-Preferably with access to a good BJJ/MMA gym and/or adult soccer pick up games or adult soccer leagues.

-In or near nature, like mountains, or I see Pennsylvania seems to have beautiful pasture/farm land(?).

-Ideally some place where they don't care about mask requirements and are ignoring lockdown mandates as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2020, 04:54 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
You might look into the Willliamsport/State College area.
As much as I love PA it sounds like Bangor, ME might be another consideration for you.

Old 09-04-2020, 05:52 PM

I have a couple friends who went to Maine and they say lockdown in Maine is even stricter than Massachusetts somehow. Lol. That is surprising to me as Maine is rural and it makes no sense to me. But I guess they have an old population and maybe they are afraid.

If Pennsylvania is not the right state for me and what I'm looking for then please also feel free to let me know. For instance, I homeschool my son now, and I see PA has some kind of strict requirements, like Massachusetts, which is one of the things I'm looking to get away from.

Old 09-04-2020, 07:23 PM

298 posts, read 481,823 times
Suggest you check out physically whatever place interests you, also check online to see what the state's homeschool requirements are. But don't move until you have done your homework - especially if you have children.

PA is strict on mask wearing as far as going into public places, businesses. Up to the individual whether they follow the mandate or not. Some do, some don't. Democratic Governor. You may want to check into states that have Republican governors, if that is important to you.

The cities tend to be more progressive in some parts. Rural areas tend to be more conservative. A number of folks homeschool/cyber school so think there is a good network in that regard.. My experience in a small town outside of Gettysburg is they tend to be live and let live. Am a liberal who lives in a conservative area but have been accepted happily enough. Just trying to answer your questions honestly..

This isn't the best time to move...alot of city folk are wanting to move out so real estate prices are getting higher in the more desirable areas. If you need internet, best check to see what areas have good access....there may be dead zones.

Old 09-05-2020, 08:35 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,172,002 times
Look at next door New Hampshire. Some towns to consider there:

Rindge, New Ipswich, Mason, Brookline, Hudson, Merrimack, Litchfield, Pelham, Salem, Windham, Londonderry, Derry, New Boston, Bedford, Weare, Dunbarton, Hooksett, Auburn, Candia, Chester, Atkinson, Plaistow, Hampstead, Sandown, Danville, Kingston, East Kingston, Hampton Falls, Seabrook, Newington, Deerfield, Epsom, Pittsfield, Salisbury, Washington, Croydon, Gilford, Alton, New Durham, Brookfield, Wakefield, Wolfeboro, Tuftonboro, Moultonborough, Ossipee, Hebron, Groton, Dorchester, Rumney, Ellsworth, Warren, Benton, Monroe, Chatham, Hale's Location, Jefferson, Dummer, Millsfield, Columbia, Wentworth's Location, Clarksville, and Pittsburg.

However BJJ/MAA will be hard to come across.

Old 09-05-2020, 04:29 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Please don't come here if you're going to ignore our mask requirements.

Old 09-05-2020, 06:48 PM

634 posts, read 1,164,748 times
Pennsylvania is better than a congested craphole like New Jersey, but Pennsylvania is complete garbage compared to Maine.

Old 09-05-2020, 06:59 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post
Pennsylvania is better than a congested craphole like New Jersey, but Pennsylvania is complete garbage compared to Maine.
rather crudely put but I agree.

are you from the craphole or the complete garbage pile?

Old 09-05-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinE View Post

How so can you please explain

Old 09-06-2020, 03:36 PM

298 posts, read 481,823 times
Don't really see how you can compare the two. They are very different.

Maine is very wild - at least parts of the north. Would recommend you look at Northern Maine not southern or coastal Maine. Lots of open space there. Altho some of the land is available to be leased (at a very low price), with the buildings available for sale - owned by paper companies and the like. Internet uncertain about in parts of northern Maine. However you would get the privacy you want, land and freedom from government intrusion. Looked seriously into Maine for a few years. Wells5 may be able to expound on the Maine more.

PA has a large area that is very rural, lots of land but again uncertain of internet and amenities. The southern part is largely orchards, farm land..has amenities but is not as free from constraints as you may desire.

First, if you are dependent on the Internet to make your livelihood, check to make sure there is accessibility. Then check to see if there is a network for home/cyber schooling, what the requirements are - if any. Then see if you can find acres of land near necessary amenities. Hopefully you have experience living in a rural area with a family. You have sit yourselves down and decide what amenities you can live without.

Careful measures are in place and being followed in some areas, regards Covid-19. If you don't want to follow the mandates, then highly encourage you to find a state that is lax in that regard. PA isn't that state. And I am very glad of that fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania