Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 12:59 PM

4,994 posts, read 2,002,868 times

Advertisements

The numbers vary slightly from article to article but the percentage holds.

https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsbu...t?oid=16941415
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2021, 11:58 AM

30,748 posts, read 16,389,575 times
so 98% lived.

Old 11-14-2021, 02:24 PM

8,173 posts, read 7,560,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
That's a weird article. It's dated Nov 12, 2021 but everything in it is from June 2020 or earlier.

Are we still at a 2.0% death rate after all the vaccinations?

Old 11-14-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
so 98% lived.

How do you know you would not be one of the 2%? How do you know you would not be the one who infected some of the 2%? How do you know some of the 2% would not be one of your loved ones?

Old 11-14-2021, 08:27 PM

Location: The Flagship City and Vacation in the Paris of Appalachia
2,773 posts, read 3,874,379 times
Quote:
so 98% lived.
Sure and 80% of COVID patients have long term symptoms of some kind, which can be as severe as hearing loss, heart issues, reduced pulmonary function or fibrosis. I personally know a few people with serious long term COVID complications and one of them needed a lung transplant. Even some of the minor long term complications are no fun and I personally enjoy smelling and tasting my food. The whole "most people live" argument is played out and simply ignores the millions of Americans who still suffer long term effects from COVID.

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-021-95565-8

Old 11-15-2021, 12:30 AM

30,748 posts, read 16,389,575 times
Quote:
How do you know you would not be one of the 2%? How do you know you would not be the one who infected some of the 2%? How do you know some of the 2% would not be one of your loved ones?

I don't. Neither do I know if I'll get hit by a car crossing the street or shot by a crazy person with a gun.

I don't mean to demean the value of lives lost but Covid is a serious disease and given the shortage of medical help, lack of knowledge about it (improving) and inaccurate reporting to the public 98% survival isn't that bad IMHO.

Old 11-15-2021, 07:53 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,909,904 times
It's probably something like 0.5 - 0.7% of people, a number the CDC has long used, and this is because of the great number of UNconfirmed cases. We do not know the number of unconfirmed cases (by definition) - HOWEVER - by random testing of blood donations, work places, travelers and so forth - it's more or less about the same number of confirmed cases.

ONE THE OTHER HAND - if you think 0.5% death rate is no reason to take action - you are ALSO wrong. In the very early days, it was pointed out often that 0.5% of 330M people is 1.5M people. That is a HUGE number of people when you consider that only 3M a year die of all other causes combined (USA). Death itself - from ANYTHING - is about 1% a year. So if you do not fear COVID - you must not think ANY DEATH AT ALL is worth mentioning, because without taking precautions, the COVID "number of dead" would be approaching all the other numbers of dead.

So - there IS a middle ground - the COVID death rate is about a half a percent IN THE USA - and also 1/2% is a HUGE number when you consider that just about everyone will eventually be infected. Middle ground.

It means that fearing death from covid on an individual level is like fearing death from pneumonia or salmonella or lots of other things, mainly cancer and heart disease, that are far more likely to kill you if you catch them. But you ARE more likely to catch COVID right now. Fearing it at an individual level is just not worthwhile. It will almost certainly NOT kill you. 99.5% - but it's much, much higher than that if your under 60, and even moreso under 50. More likely to die in your car on the way to the doctor for your COVID meds.

Nope - the fear and problem with covid is that it can - quite quickly - swamp a hospital - and that's it. It's not your death that matters. Officially, I mean. If you're focused on death, you are really missing the point. It ain't about death - it's about resources.

Old 11-15-2021, 08:11 AM

8,173 posts, read 7,560,142 times
Quote:
What's your point? To scare us?

The article is from June 2020. You never answered my question. What is the current death rate, after all the vaccinations?

Also, if the 2021 edition (Delta variant) is a "Pandemic of the Unvaccinated" then why should we care about them? People have all the right in the world to not get vaccinated, so don't try and make me feel guilty about 2% of them dying, if they happen to catch the preventable disease.

Old 11-15-2021, 08:38 AM

9,416 posts, read 13,088,942 times
Quote:
I don't. Neither do I know if I'll get hit by a car crossing the street or shot by a crazy person with a gun.

I don't mean to demean the value of lives lost but Covid is a serious disease and given the shortage of medical help, lack of knowledge about it (improving) and inaccurate reporting to the public 98% survival isn't that bad IMHO.
A 2% chance of dying from a disease is incredibly high. That’s a 1 in 50 shot. Of course, that risk is not equal across groups. Your mileage will vary significantly, depending on your age, lifestyle, and preexisting conditions. But even the young and healthy can, and do, get unlucky, whether they end up in the ICU, become saddled with long-term symptoms (with or without myocarditis or lung scarring), and even die.

Old 11-15-2021, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post
What's your point? To scare us?

The article is from June 2020. You never answered my question. What is the current death rate, after all the vaccinations?

Also, if the 2021 edition (Delta variant) is a "Pandemic of the Unvaccinated" then why should we care about them? People have all the right in the world to not get vaccinated, so don't try and make me feel guilty about 2% of them dying, if they happen to catch the preventable disease.

I used current data for the calculation. It means simply out of the people who have a positive test in PA, 2% died.

Total Reported On Nov 12

Cases 1,618,870

Deaths 32,279

% 2%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: