Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 01:08 PM

223 posts, read 796,171 times

Advertisements

Hello all, Jimmy Lane here. My home laptop went kaput some months ago, hence my disappearance from this lovely website. I am saving my pennies to purchase a new one. On to my question...

I received a notification from NJDMV that my NJ driver's license was suspended for failing to return my license plates after my NJ registration lapsed. I sent them a letter this summer indicating that the NJ plate had been destroyed in an accident, but they ignored and a couple months ago suspended my NJ license and registration.

I obtained a PA driver's license/registration prior to this suspension. I called NJDMV today and they indicated that my suspension in Jersey is effective throughout the US, something to do with a "NATIONAL REGISTRY." Yet, I've been pulled over twice in PA for unrelated matters following the suspension and on both occasions the officer ran my license and said nothing about it being suspended. Has anyone heard of this being the case?

Thanks all who reply and Happy Thanksgiving to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2008, 06:44 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,556 times
AFAIK, a suspension will show up across the USA. However, when you got your PA license, you surrendered your NJ license (even if they gave it back to you), and your NJ license got canceled at that time. From that moment, only PennDOT can suspend your license.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:57 PM

858 posts, read 3,044,635 times
[quote=JimmyLane;6310972]Hello all, Jimmy Lane here. My home laptop went kaput some months ago, hence my disappearance from this lovely website. I am saving my pennies to purchase a new one. On to my question...

I received a notification from NJDMV that my NJ driver's license was suspended for failing to return my license plates after my NJ registration lapsed. I sent them a letter this summer indicating that the NJ plate had been destroyed in an accident, but they ignored and a couple months ago suspended my NJ license and registration.

I obtained a PA driver's license/registration prior to this suspension. I called NJDMV today and they indicated that my suspension in Jersey is effective throughout the US, something to do with a "NATIONAL REGISTRY." Yet, I've been pulled over twice in PA for unrelated matters following the suspension and on both occasions the officer ran my license and said nothing about it being suspended. Has anyone heard of this being the case?

Yes you got a PA, license, right before they suspended your NJ one. Give it time my friend. As soon as PennDot finds out. or you dont pay what ever fine you might have in NJ, It will be put In NCIC, and the next time you get pulled over. You will have your butt in jail for 90 days for driving on a suspended license!!

Good Luck out there!

Old 11-26-2008, 08:11 AM

173 posts, read 582,656 times
Yes a voliation in another state will carry over. IE: NJ suspends your license... your PA license is also suspended.

What NJDMV told you is true. It might take a couple months to get updated but trust me they wont forget about you.

I'd suggest getting this taken care of before you get pulled over for a simple speeding ticket and end up having your car impounded and possibly a trip to jail.

Old 11-28-2008, 03:13 PM

Thanks a bunch for all replies. I'm going to rectify the problem ASAP. Happy holidays all.

Old 11-28-2008, 04:00 PM

Ahh what a wonderful event, thanks for posting, coartist, I had no idea! I'll be stopping by for some of that hot cider and ginger bread, yum.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:41 AM
mgb

97 posts, read 260,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLane View Post

I didn't think they could suspend your driver's license because your car registration expired. Some people have a driver's license yet don't own a car. There has to be another reason they suspended your license, unless NJ is different than PA?

Old 08-11-2012, 06:40 AM

2 posts, read 11,974 times
Talking Peoples' Democratic Republic of NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb View Post
I didn't think they could suspend your driver's license because your car registration expired. Some people have a driver's license yet don't own a car. There has to be another reason they suspended your license, unless NJ is different than PA?
New Jersey is different from other states...understatement of the year. Yes they can and DO suspend DLs for not turning in your plates within a prescribed period after a vehicle is sold, becomes uninsured, or the registration, or the tags, expire without renewal of the registration. Failure to have the vehicle inspected can also result in your vehicle's registration bein revoked/cancelled...causing the result of a suspended DL.

The good news? Once your DL is suspended the State of NJ is required to notify you legally by mail. Most of the time, when a DL is suspended as a result of some other, non-moving violation reason the sate fails to notify the suspended driver again. Therefore, if you get ticketed for a 3-40 (driving while suspended statute) the state has to prove that you received proper notice--which most times you haven't. Get a lawyer and you should get it dismissed. Without a lawyer, the prosecutor usually won't be helpful (though sometimes they can be EXTREMELY helpful.) if you go to court yourself the firdst time, talk to the prosecutor and see how receptive they are to helping with the lack of notice issue. If they ARE, you should be able to do it yourself. If they're NOT receptive, ask for an adjournment to allow you to get a lawyer. It's worth the $$, because a conviction means the SECOND ticket...or third, means jail or SLAP (cleaning roads in an orange suit instead of jail.) be aware!

Old 08-11-2012, 06:57 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,103,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieYank View Post
New Jersey is different from other states...understatement of the year. Yes they can and DO suspend DLs for not turning in your plates within a prescribed period after a vehicle is sold, becomes uninsured, or the registration, or the tags, expire without renewal of the registration. Failure to have the vehicle inspected can also result in your vehicle's registration bein revoked/cancelled...causing the result of a suspended DL.

The good news? Once your DL is suspended the State of NJ is required to notify you legally by mail. Most of the time, when a DL is suspended as a result of some other, non-moving violation reason the sate fails to notify the suspended driver again. Therefore, if you get ticketed for a 3-40 (driving while suspended statute) the state has to prove that you received proper notice--which most times you haven't. Get a lawyer and you should get it dismissed. Without a lawyer, the prosecutor usually won't be helpful (though sometimes they can be EXTREMELY helpful.) if you go to court yourself the firdst time, talk to the prosecutor and see how receptive they are to helping with the lack of notice issue. If they ARE, you should be able to do it yourself. If they're NOT receptive, ask for an adjournment to allow you to get a lawyer. It's worth the $$, because a conviction means the SECOND ticket...or third, means jail or SLAP (cleaning roads in an orange suit instead of jail.) be aware!

Why are you answering a post from 2008? The question has been answered and the poster is likely long gone.

Old 08-11-2012, 07:07 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,145,830 times
While you are talking about registration problems; I had problems in PA because of insurance. Years ago I paid my insurance for the whole year and did not think anything about it. A few months went by and I was called from my State Police to surrender my license plates because I did not have insurance. I promptly called my insurance agent and asked why this is happening. I am a junior and they put my payment on my father's insurance. They apologize and immediately contacted the DOT and State Police. I thought that it was taken care of – but a month later our State Police were after me again to turn in my plates. I went through this procedure three or four times before everybody got it straight – it took a little over one year.

Computers have improved since this happened to me. But government moves very slow and they are not quick to change direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania