Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 06:23 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,732,227 times

Advertisements

I tried to do a first quick tour around, get the lay of the land and then circle back and decide what to take photos of. Tried to get the feel of the place in the tour, not just to photo one type or condition of house.

Every street is different in some degree, note the work on the Hip Roof, maybe a finished attic.

Looking back over the river toward the south side of town.

Some streets are sort of average, these may or may not be cheap houses.

Some streets are sort of junky

Going back down toward the shopping part of town, some pretty seedy houses in here.

You can have a fair house with two junkers on either side.

Grocery store, only one I saw. Least of the big chain type

Drug store, the dude would not look at me once he saw the camera, some of the peeps might be a bit anal.

Circling back to get on the other bridge to go over into the south part.

Peep at the bridge we are going to cross

Coming into another downtown section, we are going to bang a right

Yup, got to wait for this red light
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2007, 06:38 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times
Doesn't look bad at all!

Old 03-14-2007, 06:40 PM

Default Setting up to go have lunch

Ok, getting ready to want lunch, crusing the downtown looking for a place. Ain't liking either the parking or look of the joints.

Over a few streets

Deciding to go back over the other side and check out that downtown for lunch. That green-blue iron bridge will take us to the bridge we came in on.

This is the downtown section where we saw in the newspaper that they had boarded up for flooding

Over the bridge, the low chow alarm is flashing.

Lining up to get back on the original Rt-62 bridge

Doing the bridge again, this is making me hungry

Check out a few more streets, look for some chow

This is down closer to the river, going right off the bridge

Ok, chow on hold, we will go up a few streets. The one will the dog was pretty anal, they actually attempt to avoid you.

NAH is having an orgasm. We are up a couple of streets in elevation. Going to try to work over and check out the other downtown for chow.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:41 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
Smile What a nice gesture!

So, where's Need_Affordable_Home?? Has he seen these photos yet? Is this what he is seeking? It kind of reminds me of Utica, New York. What would someone do there for culture, music, fun?? I wonder what most people do there for work? Any ideas on that?

It's kind of depressing to me -- I love those old homes, but the rest of it seems dismal. But that's just me.

This must have been a fun trip, Cosmic! I can't believe you did this -- NAH should be so grateful to you for the real look at Oil City. What a great idea -- and what a great guy to do this for him!!

Old 03-14-2007, 06:52 PM

Nice house, no parking

That is a her, finally bagged her, would not look up. NAH might not get that cuddle, least not early on. Even the dog looks away.

Off to upload more. Should be 50 more.

Old 03-14-2007, 06:52 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
It doesn't look bad at all. Some of those bigger brick houses look quite nice. There seems to be a downtown with some restaurants? Alot better than some anonymous mall. I HATE malls.

sunny

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 03-14-2007 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 03-14-2007, 07:07 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,210,572 times
I like it! I bet it is much prettier in the spring and summer, too.

I noticed a lot of empty upstairs in the downtown area. Can Oil city lofts be far behind?

Can't wait to see how NAH finds the pix. A very nice town- bigger than I had imagined.

Thanks for making the trip.

Something strange, though.... Anyone else notice that all the dogs look the same?!

Great pix, great city! I think you should move this thread to the PA forum. I bet folks looking to move to PA would consider relocating to Oil city.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:10 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,114,232 times
I LOVE older towns in the hills/mountains.

Any mountain bike trails in the area???

Old 03-14-2007, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
So, where's Need_Affordable_Home?? Has he seen these photos yet? Is this what he is seeking? It kind of reminds me of Utica, New York. What would someone do there for culture, music, fun?? I wonder what most people do there for work? Any ideas on that?

It's kind of depressing to me -- I love those old homes, but the rest of it seems dismal. But that's just me.

This must have been a fun trip, Cosmic! I can't believe you did this -- NAH should be so grateful to you for the real look at Oil City. What a great idea -- and what a great guy to do this for him!!
I did not do what I normally would have done. Didn't try to find the library, town hall, etc, etc, and actually go into a lot of places. I did see what was a school and there are lil parks, play yards scattered around. Also didn't get up that much on the south side. Traffic had started to pick up in the afternoon and I wanted to do some chores once I got back in Ohio, plus I had a time to be back because we were going to go out to dinner, so things got cut short. I might have tried to stay overnight. Again didn't see any hotels, motels, in town, was a place out of town going back toward Franklin.

There is enough stuff to live there. Fast food, general shopping, etc. There are also some other sections I didn't get too up higher above where I was.

Talked to maybe 10 people, some of the people could be a bit weird, like characters in maybe Cambridge, MA or fringe places in CA. Nobody said the place was a dump and they were dying to get out.

Apparently anybody that wants a job can get one. Some good paying jobs in like a metal fab plant, one women said more industry was coming. There is NO WALMART in town, least none of the locals know about it yet.

The downtowns appear to be functional and not all bummed out like most other towns of its size in the USA.

Some of the sections did remind me of upstate NY. Something like Utica or Rochester. There is one street where the houses look like the film clip on the old Archie Bunker TV show opening.

NAH is supposed to be sending the credit card billing info. Plus getting everybody a free pizza in Oil City. Beer too but I didn't see any booze stores.

Off to upload more photos, should be like 50 more. Wonder what this pays by the hour????

Old 03-14-2007, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I LOVE older towns in the hills/mountains.

Any mountain bike trails in the area???

Nope didn't see any. You could just use some of the town streets. Make sure them brakes work. Hills are steeper than they appear in the pix's.

One dude on a motor bike, seen him all over. Never saw him go up a hill. Finally bagged him on film during lunch, suicide jockey every time I looked he was in the rear view mirror. Might have been with the Police, checking them strange newcomers.

Also note the age of cars in the pix's. You do not see tons of old junkers, peeps drive fairly decent tin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania