Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola
 [Register]
Pensacola Escambia County, Santa Rosa County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 02:37 AM

27 posts, read 41,199 times

Advertisements

We are finally planning to close on our new home here, and in researching utilities, I found some surprises with the internet service. Maybe I've been spoiled, but we like streaming videos a LOT and I have never had a data limit on my internet service before.

I can only find a few local providers, and they almost all have data limits. The speeds vary tremendously (the advertised speeds at least - who knows what you actually get?).

I've been here at the hotel for almost 3 months, and the internet service here is AT&T. It's hard to evaluate it because it was knocked out by a lightning storm for a month, and also some of the furniture in the room blocks the wi-fi signal most of the time, so it seems spotty (but it doesn't seem to be outside).

The TV service is Direct TV, and it's pathetic. Every single time a few drops of rain fall, the signal goes out, sometimes for hours. And it's been a wet summer, hasn't it? Rained almost every day.

ComCast sounded good, but when I went to look further, it says they don't actually provide here. I can find only AT&T (which seems pricy for what you get, and limited to only 5 gig data on the cheaper plan - that's less than my mobile share!) and Mediacom, which at least has 250 gig (enough only if we avoid high quality or HD on Netflix). Surely there are satellite providers, but considering how bad the TV here is, not sure I'd want to risk it. (I had satellite before and only lost connection during extremely bad weather a few times a year.)

We're supposed to move in a few days, and I can't do without any internet, so I will have to choose something. Most of them seem to require contracts, so I hate to lock into something for two years without even knowing if it will work for us.

ANY advice on quality, price, or what works for you would be MUCH appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2013, 11:00 PM

27 posts, read 41,199 times
Well if anyone sees this later and wonders the same thing ...

DirectTV doesn't have a great reputation among people I talked to for Internet service.

Comcast isn't available.

AT&T seems to be ok but price for speed value doesn't look as good. What is clear is that their download limits are a deal-killer if you stream video.

Which leaves mediacom that I've been able to find out about. No one has complained about speed but they're the only ones I found offering enough data. Deals are going to vary (different websites / ordering numbers offer different pricing, terms, and packages) but I found a cheap-ish package which keeps me from having to commit to a 2-year contract.

I just wish the operators didn't say stuff like, "if you order today, we can reduce the regular price on installation (or whatever)" when I know full well it's the normal charge anyway.

Old 10-05-2013, 03:18 PM

34 posts, read 124,568 times
Thanks for the info. I'll be moving near Perdido next month and faced with similar choices.

Old 10-06-2013, 08:55 PM

5,723 posts, read 4,698,030 times
Be careful with Mediacom. We initially ordered from a "Mediacom" website that wasn't really part of the company. Mediacom internet has been good for me in Santa Rosa Beach, but their cable TV is crap.

Old 10-09-2013, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,240 times
We have had mediacom for 15 years. Although not heavy "streamers" we are very pleased with our Internet sppeds and stability. We also have cable and land line through them - all in all nothing negative to say. When we have issues, we call and usually get a rep within 5 minutes and first call resolution. This doesn't apply when there is a major outage, of course, but their CS line will have a recording that states that they are aware of such and such problem and are looking into it. If you care to hold for a while you can speak to a human who will give you the same basic info. If you consume more than your stated 250gig per month, then you are definitely a heavy user of bandwidth and will be paying for it - no matter who you sign up with.

Old 10-11-2013, 06:08 AM

5,723 posts, read 4,698,030 times
I had Cox for 8 years and had 3 outages. I've had Mediacom for 4 months and had 8.

With Cox, I had unlimited internet. With Mediacom, I get 350 G per month.

Mediacom, in 2013, is still not digital. My Cox was for years.

All in all, Mediacom is not my first choice. Unfortunately for me, it's my only choice.

Old 10-14-2013, 03:39 PM

34 posts, read 124,568 times
I know diff localities can have diff providers. We're talking Milton here, but what/which CATV/DATA providers are in the West/SW Pcola area?
(Near Perdido Bay)

Old 10-18-2013, 07:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,475 times
Hello, been in Milton for 5 yrs now, ( btw, in a hotel of 3 mo? Rent is dirt cheap), we've had AT&T and have had no interuption and can stream all videos. I watch Netflix and everything. Now, the modem is on the electricity, so sometimes, sever thunderstorms knock the power out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Pensacola