Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 11:25 AM

4 posts, read 8,251 times

Advertisements

Mt name is John Bowman and I currently reside in New Jersey. I am seeking info on my father John Bowman. The only info I have is that he resided in sunset Louiaiana and passed away in June of 1988. Does anyone have info on cemetaries in that area? Perhaps a newspaper I can contact to try and track down an obituary?? Any help I can get would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 05:49 PM

838 posts, read 2,241,960 times
I am assuming that you have the information from the Social Security Death Index:

JOHN BOWMAN
BORN: 25 Dec 1919
DIED: 15 Jun 1988 (VERIFIED)
LAST RESIDENCE: 70584 (Sunset, Saint Landry, LA)
SS# ISSUED IN: Tennessee

Social Security Death Index Interactive Search

Also on that site it gives his SS# and you can send away to Social Security to get a copy of the card he filled out. I believe it gives his parents names on that card, but I'm not sure as I've never ordered one. They charge you $27 for the copy.

Old 07-13-2008, 05:59 PM

Moderator cut: linking to competitors sites is not allowed
This site gives information about St. Landry Parish, the Parish that Sunset is in. It includes newspapers and cemetaries in the Parish.
One that carries obits is
dailyworld.com | Daily World | Opelousas news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Opelousas, LA
however, you would have to contact them to see if they have them from that far back as it won't be on their site. They could lead you in the right direction, I would think. On the bottom of their site it says "Contact Us". Click it and it gives their address and phone number.

Last edited by Yac; 09-01-2008 at 08:09 AM..

Old 07-13-2008, 06:11 PM

His death certificate would have the location of the cemetery. It would also include his spouse's name, his occupation, and parent's names, most likely. Louisiana is a closed state. To get the death certificate, you must be a close relative. Adult child of the deceased is included.
Here is the site:
Records and Statistics (Vital Records)

Old 07-13-2008, 06:22 PM

Another good place to search:
Cemetery - Saint Landry Parish Archives
and
The LAGenWeb Project - Parish Websites
and
St. Landry Parish Genealogy
You can also try their local library.

Old 07-27-2008, 04:17 PM

4 posts, read 8,251 times
Sorry for the lapse in responding but thanks susan. I am awaiting various records on my dad. Your reply was most helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > People Search